1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer Alston vs. Mike James vs. Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 16, 2007.

1. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

How come no one is calling for Brooks? I think that he should be getting 5 to 10 mins a game at the VERY least. My hope is that given his quickness, he can stay in front of some of these quick guards. I'm about tired of seeing the other teams point guards getting layups because we can't play defense. Unfortunately I don't think Francis is going to help the situation much. At this point, we are losing because of our guards, it is time to start experimenting with different combos!

2. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

Is RA is the best point guard from all the guards we have? Has anyone realized he is wide open all the time if the ball is not in his hand? The opponent team just ignores him because he presents no threat. That translate opponent team can double team Yao or TMac. More often than not, when RA received the pass from his teammate, he is so wide opened that he can take another breath before shooting the ball. Yet, more often than not, he clanked it. When he clanked it, Yao is already double team down low and has to fight for rebound and he is out numbered. He is not a good rebounder so it almost likes a Turn-over. This is what frustrated most of us. And in every game, RA at least takes more than one ill-advice shot. He seems to lack basketball IQ or what? How many time I have to yell at the screen, NO! NO! NO! I haven’t yelled at the TV for all my life until lately. Man, I now know how some of the fans feel. If he is the best we got in terms of point guard, Houston, we have big problem.
    IT’S TIME!!!!! We are just one descent point guard away from championship. LES, please do it. Find us a real point guard so Fans like us can proud of. As bad as our point guard situation, we are still able to complete with any team but fell short at the end. Yes, I truly believed, a descent point guard is all we need.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

From what I have seen James is playing a lot like a 2 guard.

Also consider James is our #3 scorer--both in total and per minute (of any player with reasonable minutes). Taking him out takes out substantial scoring punch and increases pressure on Tmac and Yao.

Yes his 1.03 PPS is not good, but Alston's (.91) & Wells (.85) are atrocious figures.

As for the +/- ratings and such, you have to considered Alston had been paired with Tmac in the backcourt ALOT, James has been paired infrequently with Tmac in the backcourt. Is it that Alston is, or has been, the better player than James, or is it that he plays a lot more with Tmac (and Yao) because he starts and James is extra needed when either superstar sits or we would have no offense whatsoever.

In summary, James has not been great, maybe not good, but it is hard to argue for Wells or Alston getting more minutes would help our offensive efficiency/potency AND you have to look at stats in context.

As for Francis and Brooks, we can extrapolate next to nothing from minutes, but I have a hard time seeing either as anything more than a marginal improvement over Alston/James/Head. Someone sees these guys day in and day out in practice and Adelman can't possible be veiwed as having favorites being new to the team.

Personally, I am more concerned about interior defense and power forward athleticism/length from the 4 spot than I am about guard play beyond Tmac. Guard play (after Tmac) is my #2 concern.

4. aamir

aamir Member

I've seen every game. Half of my posts likely come from the game threads.

"When Mike James was playing point guard," he brought the ball up the court, received the ball in the backcourt early on offensive possessions, and was a main ball-handler. "Now that Mike James is playing shooting guard," he is bringing the ball up the court, receiving the ball in the backcourt early on offensive possessions, and is a main ball-handler.

So how exactly is it Adelman that's playing himself otherwise? That's what I'm after. "Watch the games" isn't an explanation, and "Adelman's not playing him as a point guard" sure isn't a fact.

"Non-point guard" Mike James was the same as "point guard" Mike James in the two Laker games. It's the way Mike James plays. It's the same guy from Toronto, and his last stint here. It's the same negative remarks people have been making all along about him. He's just not making his shots, so he's lost his saving grace, so to speak.
    Yes, I know this is Clutch's house. I've got respect for him, but I also treat others as they treat me.

I was wrong for using 82games as a source -- I've admitted that already. I didn't know their source (the computer algorithm).

That's fine that you trust Clutch's judgment over mine -- they are all opinions. I just tend to appreciate points more when they are backed up with something other than sarcasm.
    I'm not taking it past anything Clutch says/does, so I assume I'm abiding by the board's rules.

As for being a smartass, like I just said to SJC, I'll treat others as they treat me. "While you get a grip," "get back with us," etc. Hello Pot, meet Kettle.

I do appreciate this board, but I've done nothing out of line according to the standards set by the founder himself.

5. aamir

aamir Member

Sorry, missed your post. But I think what's getting lost/missed is that I agree, dude is playing more like a shooting guard.

I just don't see how it's Adelman's doing. It's Mike James, the same Mike James he has always been. There isn't any difference in his "point-guardiness," and there certainly doesn't seem to be any forced change on him by a coach that believes in letting players be themselves.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yeah, James is just being James. Which can be effective for your backup point guard, but not as much for your starter. Heck, maybe even use Francis/Brooks at the backup 1 and put James at the backup 2. Use Head when other teams go small to help spread the court.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We're all wasting our time with this one. For some reason, this is extremely personal for aamir ... telling me to take off my "Mike James hat and T-shirt first" pretty much was the obvious clue. I didn't realize that making this observation was viewed as some sort of excuse for Mike James. :confused: When you tell someone to watch the games to see what we're seeing, and they come back with 82games.com, I mean ... what else is there to say? 'Every one of James' minutes has been at point guard' was my favorite. Maybe Adelman seeing a Head-James lineup and subbing James out for McGrady was a clue. Or anytime James has been in the lineup with Rafer.

Has James played point guard before and at times? Sure. But we've certainly seen less of it as of late and it looks more often like Adelman views him as a two.

Whatever. Not worth anyone else's time. Let's move on.

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

rafer turnover

heat score

rafer brick 3

rafer airball 3 after offensive board

heat score

rafer dribbles the ball down and then passes it to a yao mid court (as if he is a make a wish foundation point guard who cant facilitate for crap)

yao bricks, tmac gets a luck board and put bak so that the mirage or rafer's validity ensues.

heat score

tmac brings the ball down cause lets face it, after the last possesion of make a wish foundation rafer, someone has to be a real PG. end result? no points for rockets

heat score

YAY! Thanks Rick for making rafer's dream come true

oh and the best part was the following timeout when Francis rests his elbows on Rafer's back and shoulders. Rafer turns around perturbed and Rick responds like he's trying not to act frustrated.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Guys, we're 6-1.. why change something that works? Oh, wait...

10. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

post of the evening.

shut down the interweb. see you in the mornin, boys.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Deke & Hayes in and we are down 4....game OVER...

DD

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Luther Head is playing the point, what the F, that guy's the worst PG out of all.

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

hey, let's see some Brooks while you are at it.

14. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I really think the Heat game was quite winnable despite having Alston in the whole time UNTIL Luther checked in at PG..

WTF is wrong with Adelman? we have 2 great PGs piled up on the bench, and he sends out Luther Head to handle the ball..

what does Head do? jacks up a 3, misses, Turns it over once -> fastbreak --> score--> 4 point swing.. ATTABOY HEAD!!!

Head and Alston need to go, the later Adelman realizes that, the slimmer our chances of being a contender in this league or even making the playoffs (yes, I think there's a good chance of us missing the playoffs if Alston and Head remain active)..

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know waht the hell Adelman is thinking.. :mad:

Can Francis be any worse than Head, James, Alston or Bonzi? :confused:

16. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

the arguments have all been made. our current rotation isn't cutting it, Adelman says "maybe it's the rotation", yet keeps his rotation exactly the same ... and we yield the exact same result.

I'm very surpised I haven't exploded yet. This is really testing my patience though. To see a losing record for the Houston Rockets ... WITH YAO AND TMAC playing ... It's just frustrating. Sure Tmac missed 2 games but it's not like it was a back spasm injury. Sure there's the fact that we just played the top teams in the league ... But that's no excuse. Weren't the Rockets supposed to be one of those teams? How many times must we see this exact same process repeat itself? Sigh.

You can count me as another person who is actually missing JVG. Can't believe how likeable he is as a broadcaster. And it's so funny how he was like "we" and the other broadcaster had to ask him when he'd stop using "we" when referring to the Rockets. I wish we could somehow sign him just to teach the Rockets defense. Let RA do what he's good at and let JVG do what he's good at. That'd be awesome ... W/e.

I don't know ... but I just have this feeling that we'll develop later in the year to be a sub par #5-6 seed, take it to 6-7 games, and lose once again. I know it's quite early to predict such a negative result, but the stubbornness of RA to explore different things isn't helping.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seriously
    I don't give a f*ck what they do in practive
    I don't care is SF is out of shape

Head, James and Rafer are simply not getting it done IN GAMES WHERE IT COUNTS!
    something needs to change

Like someone said
    I will take some more turnovers for some more consistant points, penetration and mental toughness

Rocket River

18. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

THANK YOU...

it's obviously not working, the 6-1 start was a fluke against a bunch of mediocre teams. I never thought I would ever say this, but I miss the Van Gundy days already.. at least he managed to have us win some games man..

I think if Adelman doesn't change the rotation immediately, we are totally out the playoffs picture..

I mean, Head at the PG?? WTF???

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the record I don't miss JVG and I don't think with the same team we would be any better with JVG.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know what Mike James did to piss off Rick Adelman so much. Was his defense really so bad? How in the hell does Adelman elect to use Luther Head at PG over Mike James in the fourth quarter?

I'm baffled with that one.