1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer Alston vs. Mike James vs. Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't care who starts this thread, so long as the initial post is neutral. There are way too many threads about who should start or see more/less time at the PG position - Rafer, James or Francis.

This doesn't mean all posts about these guys go here -- there may be something unique that needs a new thread. However, all random threads started about who should play more or start are going to be merged into this one.

Please make intelligent arguments for your position and skip the name-calling.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

currrently rafer and james suck.

3. porkslope

porkslope Member

4. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

anyone but rafer will be fine

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Thank you Gawd!!!!

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think Mike James will come around, but I think Rafer just will not.

Francis, I don't know about him, but I don't see him coming off of the bench.

Maybe DM is looking at trades now for something in mid December hopefully.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

I doubt any team would be willing to trade a PG for lesser PG/s in return.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

DM has some magic in his wand.

He will con some GM.

What's Isiah doing? Danny Ainge on the line?

9. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As it stands now, we need the punch from James off the bench. When/if Steve gets a grasp of the offense and starts to play well in practice he will get into the games and can possibly unseat Rafer as the starter.

10. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Mike James should start for now. But Adelman got to make it clear to him that he is the 4th option on offence behind Yao, Tmac (when he comes back), and probably Scola. The guy dribbles for too long and takes some ill-advised shots. Either Francis or Brooks backs him up.

Alston and Head do not belong in the NBA.

11. apocclass

apocclass Member

i respect coach adelman, but damn it is really starting to piss me off that steve cant get ANY minutes at all. he flat out wont even give him a chance out there.

12. aamir

aamir Member

It's Rafer, and it will continue to be.

There is no argument for Steve. I'd love for there to be, but we haven't even seen him play yet. No play -> starter? Nonsense.

James is not the answer. His shot looked better at times tonight, but during those times, he did not involve the offense at all. Most of his buckets came in that stretch when him and Finley were trading baskets -- not a single pass, or even a look, in those times. Offense, thats all we can ask for from James, and that's far from a given.

Rafer is of course, a shooting liability. But he limits his attempts, always has the offense in rhythm, is easily one of the most reliable hands in the league, makes good passes and plays strong team defense (man defense leaves a lot to desire, though). The shooting difference between him and James right now isn't significant enough to even entertain a change.

13. supradai

supradai Member

What if Rudy T came back next year and Steve Francis started playing good like how adelman changed and bonzi became good.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I just wanna see Stevie get 25m in a game for a few games. Cut Luther and Rafers minutes.

If Steve sucks, then you just go back to what you had.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Rafers game tonight was ok... his shooting percentage has to go up some time. Well right now I`d say he is the right one to start. He can bring to ball up quick and safe and get it, where it has to be. Still on his off nights (which he had regularly in the last time) he shouldn`t be playing more than 15 minutes.

James? Probably our best PG so far this season. He is still not shooting as good as he could, and he had some bad games, but other than that he can create shots for him and others, which neither Luther nor Alston really can. And he is a decent defender. But since he is usually looking for his shot first, it`s the right decision to bring him in as a spark form the bench. But usually he should be on the court longer than Alston.

Francis? Talentwise he is our 3d best player. Heck even the way he played the last 2 weeks in NY would give him ~25 minutes on our team. But he came in out of shape, looked slow and didn`t play really good. I guess the relationship between him and RA isn`t too good either. He hasn`t come to play so far, so he deserves his place on the bench. But: since he could bring a whole lot to this team, RA should try to integrate him somehow. I am talking about 5-10 minutes a game.

If there was an odd man out it has to be Luther. His handles and his driving abilites got better, but he somehow lost his shot. And other than his shot he doesn`t have to much too offer.

Right now I think RA thinks, he has to let these guys keep on playing to get their shots back and get comfortable in the offense. But with everything SF could bring to the table, I`d really like him getting a chance to get in the rotation!

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Jesus Christ! No more choices! That's all we got!?

Then I will start Rafer but instruct him not to shoot 3. Tell Rafer he'll get a fine if he shoots 3. James come off bench and Francis will take Head's minutes.

I think Francis can attack the basket better, get rebound. SF can also dribble like Head and pull up a 3 ptr or a jumper. There's nothing Head can do Francis cant do. Francis has a little more to offer than Head.

17. maw7079

maw7079 Member

You can't have a championship caliber team with Rafer at point. All teams do is leave him open and he will NEVER hit the shot when it counts.

18. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Great idea! I like it.

19. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

ok so rafer has missed 31 3's.

francis has missed 0.

COINCIDENCE???

if you count every 3 as a turnover, he's got a 41/46 assist/to ratio.

20. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

If you Francis fans would quit living in the past, there would be no need for a sticky thread.