1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer Alston--DNP Coach's Decision (3/4/2010)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cjstukenholtz, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

This is an article from the South Florida South Sentinel concerning Rafer Alston not starting in the Heat's game with the Lakers last night. For this game, the end result for Rafer would be DNP Coach's Decision.

Link-->http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-rafer-alston-s030410,0,6298459.story
    I think that if he has a bunch of those during the Heat's remaining 20 games, he might be fortunate to get a new contract in the league this upcoming offseason even though he might be a little more serviceable than T-Mac is now IMO. To make such matters worse, his shooting stats this season are the worst in his career since his first three seasons in the league.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Uh what is the point of this thread? Seems like it's only purpose is to hate on Rafer...

3. sbyang

sbyang Member

It also throws in some Tmac hate.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

nothin wrong with hatin on rafer...

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Rafer is a class act! I wish him the best!

6. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Throughout much of his tenure with the Rockets, people on this board kept on grumbling about him starting stating that he wouldn't be a starter on most other teams, and wishing JVG would have played V-Span more or Rick Adelman would have played Aaron Brooks more than each one of them did and cut down Rafer's minutes, and just try demoting him to the bench.

I found it somewhat surprising that he was kept out of the Heat's game with the Lakers after he had started in all of his 25 previous games with the Heat since joining them. It's just that when I went to check the box score of the Laker-Heat game, I noticed that "DNP Coach's Decision" line on Rafer. So then, I felt like starting this thread.

As far as Rafer's serviceability is concerned compared with T-Mac's, it's on the defensive end.

7. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I just think its funny how everyone was demanding rafer get traded and we start aaron brooks. Brooks plays like a borderline allstar and everyone is now asking for him to be traded so his back up can start.

8. RocketMania1991

Did you just say Rafer Alston is more serviceable than T-Mac ?

Mcgrady can play better basketball in a wheelchair than a healthy Rafer Alston.

9. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Worthy thread. I have nothing but love for Skip 2 my Lou. Still wear my Alston jersey to the games, but keep my jacket on so it just looks like a Martin jersey. :grin:

10. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I said that he's more serviceable than T-Mac on the defensive end. Offensively, I would have to agree with you there.

For those of you who watched that Laker-Heat game, you didn't get a chance to see him throw up those tear-drops since he did not play.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

good idea, i should do that before it starts getting warmer... :)

12. Dei

Dei Member

lol @ people who have Alston jerseys...

13. blink

blink Contributing Member

crappy shooting/teardrops aside, rafer ran the offense nicely and had a good string of games during that 22 win streak :eek:

14. nickb492

Hey what can I say, I always liked his way of spreading the court. And he destroyed the Lakers for the 22nd win. Everybody has their own favorite, and he was mine. Your telling me you don't like a Rocket that is an untouchable on this board? :rolleyes:

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

untouchable? Why the heck would a shoot-first pg who has a big mouth and a horrible shot be untouchable? For the same price I'd take Tmac glued to the bench over Rafer Alston getting PT, once he stopped playing with prime Yao/Tmac his career as a useful NBA player was done.

16. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

:confused: Rafer was never a shoot-first pg, he was a forced to shoot-first pg because teams knew they could slide off of him and either double Yao or T-Mac.

17. nickb492

Like I said everybody has their favorite. And I think you mistook what I said. I meant untouchable in the connotation of being an outcast on the board.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I've always hated that argument that he ran the offense well. First, T-Mac had control of the ball 90+% of the time. Rafer dribbled past half court then stood around waiting to jack up an ugly three. The only reason people think he ran the offense well is because Luther Head was playing as his backup and he couldn't even get the ball past half court most of the time. Second, the offense was not what was winning the team games during Rafer's years here, it was the defense. The team often won in spite of the offense, not because of it.

That being said, as much as I hated Rafer, he did step it up during the 22 game win streak.

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Aroyo is better.

DD