1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael Stone the HEDGE GOD! Why Stone has done a great job rebuilding the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets didn't have to take bad a bad contract to move Gordon last year. They would have to take back a contract of equal length..... but instead Stone over played his hand again, just like he did with others.

Also, Stone had no issue taking back money to move Wood for a late #1........ after waiting too long to trade Wood as well.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I disagree.

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

He did solid in the harden trade but I think his issue I'd that he sits on stuff too long. He sat on harden too long, same with dipo and now Gordon

But the biggest gripe I have with him is that l I don't think they have the right leadership and that is crucial when grooming a young team. That to me, has been his biggest fail.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what a forum is here for but shouldn't be a big deal.

Free to discuss.

6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I still don't see an easy path to get significantly better next season, unless we hit a superstar in the '23 draft.

We've got $60MM in cap space, but the upcoming free agent class isn't great. Full of old players and/or one way players:
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Our path would seem to be: 1) Upgrade Coaching and with it culture 2) Hope for organic growth in the young players 3) Be opportunistic and take on other teams' cap problems if those players are better than the lousy pool in free agency.

We owe our '24 and '26 FRP picks to OKC, so we sure as hell don't want to keep tanking.
    We don't have a real point guard, and Bones Hyland just went for 2 late second rounders...that would have seemed to be a low risk get, (not to mention that we have piles of second round picks), but Stone seems content to play musical chairs on the Titantic...shifting the roster at the margins.

Let's hope that we make a great coaching hire, get lucky on the lottery, change the culture to one of accountability, create some will and desire to play individual and team defense, and make some smart, positive trades.

That's a whole lot of hope, but not a very sound base for the team as it is right now...

#107 PolarBear, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definite contender. He very peculiarly predicted both Sengun and Eason as well.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think what he did today was all that great, sure he moved up in a draft coming up when we already have 7 FRPs in the last 2 years, and now we are going to add 2 more....lol...ok.

And we are probably going to wave all the vets - they were all salary dumps.

Clearing up playing time for Garuba and Christopher? FFS - Silas could have just sat them.

Seems to me like we are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

DD

#109 DaDakota, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    Rocket River, PolarBear and kubli9 like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah adding more assets for him to use in TRADE was a bad idea - total end of the world trade deadline!

[​IMG]

Corrosion and astros123 like this.
  11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

maybe Stone's purported brilliance becomes more evident when we're not eternal bottom dwellers ...

Rocket River likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need more shooters, the 1st or 2nd pick and fire Silas….Stone is on the hot seat…he keep kicking the can down the road but he is running out of road…he needs to be better…he is hurting us.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Meh
    Expected more for EGO

Rocket River

14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It's interesting how we are either a sinking ship or building a strong foundation depending on one's outlook. The Titanic chair metaphor is bunk because the ship sunk long ago when Harden went rogue. it seems fair to give Stone five years before judging if his rebuild plan worked or not,

Corrosion likes this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

With the trades today, I’m hoping we draft Wemby and Dick. Please let this happen for us, please!!!

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

main thing this org needs/needed is/was a cultural overhaul... i aint seein it...

We tanked and acquired some talent - but it aint like we're developing it....

Whats the sense in acquiring draft capital - if we draft frps - and then leave em sittin on the bench....?

folks just seem to miss the forest for the trees...

smdh...

17. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think if you spent that 60mil on a few good bench vets this team would be playin if not playoff. Think how many of those close games we would have won this season if we just had a competent backup vet point guard over Nix?

I would pay Jae Crowder and the best veteran point guard available 30million each to come off our bench for a season until the kids get up to spead. Maybe Reggie Jackson

I would overpay for solid mentors who agreed to come off the bench

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@Clutch

19. dmoneybangbang

Understandably posters who are down on the rebuild will not be happy we went with a classic Rocket's "future flexibility" trade deadline. I wish we would have cashed in some of Christopher, Garuba, and TyTy for some better future FRPs/SRPs. I just feel like we won't ever properly be able to develop and give enough playing time to all the rookies.

B- deadline for me. We stayed the course on the last year of the tank while cementing flexibility in terms of assets and cap space for the next couple of seasons. What we end up doing with that "flexibility" is for another thread.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

$TFU DD, no one cares what you got to say, you always been wrong.