1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Radiohead on ACL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by subtomic, Oct 6, 2012.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Already a big fan but I think this is one of the best live performances of theirs that I've heard. The mix is great, the band is tight and Thom's voice is strong as I've heard it in a long time.

I realize their material isn't everyone's bag (some of the songs in this set aren't my favorites), but in an age where so many musical artists are underwhelming live, I really admire a band who can bring across their vision in concert without relying wholly on spectacle or audience nostalgia (or backing tracks - ugh). It really is all about the actual musical performance with them.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Agreed. However, king of limbs just wasn't up to their usual standards and I was a bit bummed that they played so much from it on this last tour.

Reminded me a bit of HTTT in that it just seemed a bit lazy

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

**** radiohead. They are overrated as hell.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

ahh yes. Radiohead.

Saw them on tour earlier this Spring.

Things I took away from the tour.

The Buffalo Mac N Cheese was alright. And there is always crazy chicks trying to dance like idiots.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any youtube links?

6. TheMountainTop

You're overrated

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

racism much?

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but yours is wrong.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sadly not everyone can be an aesthete

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I agree I have never understood how a band with one song can be so loved.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

One song? They have many damn good songs.

12. gah

gah Member

Lol, I assume that song you talk about is Creep... let me just laugh at you. Lol lol lol

1 person likes this.
  13. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Radiohead isn't a singles band - their popularity comes from people who are interested in their latest creative direction, which manifests itself on an entire album. And there are very few popular music artists (especially in the past 20 years) who have managed to successfully take the kinds of creative chances that Radiohead does. They could have remade Creep, The Bends or OK Computer for the past 15 years, but every time they've had strong success, they've tried something new while remaining a great live band. Almost all 90s bands are living off the success of their 20 year old material - Radiohead is succeeding based on what they're doing today. So no matter how much their music may not appeal to someone, the nature of their success makes them unique (and perhaps even underrated).

All that being said, Radiohead's music is mostly intellectual and moody - which reflects the personality of the band members. So for someone who's looking for party music with a good beat, Radiohead is probably not going to be their cup of tea.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow, just end your life now. You've failed.

15. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

While I would have loved more older stuff, I thought the KoL songs sounded really good live, and they were doing like 22-24 songs a show so even though they were doing just about the whole King of Limbs album every night, plus the two singles they released (Daily Mail, which I actually love, and Staircase), that still left 13-14 old songs a night.

I wish I had seen them on an older tour, but I absolutely loved the show I saw. I'm glad they did so many songs a night so I got to hear a good amount of older stuff (they played Paranoid Android at the Houston show which made me so very happy, specially since they hadn't played it on the tour up to that point, so I didnt expect it)

16. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

They've had multiple big singles (Creep, High and Dry, Karma Police, No Surprises, 15 Step, House of Cards, etc)

and that doesn't really even matter anyway. I hope one day you discover that bands put out more than just singles (at least good bands do). One day you'll discover the magic of a band that makes a whole album of good songs. Radiohead has about 6 of those.

1 person likes this.
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

How could you forget Let Down? The best of them all.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Radiohead is the greatest band on Earth.

19. gah

gah Member

Yep, After that one was when I first thought they were aliens. ;)

20. Raven

Raven Member

What an ignorant thing to say.

Radiohead has two good songs.

:grin: