1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Radiohead: I don't quite get them, something wrong with me?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Oct 14, 2006.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

One of my friends made me a Radiohead compilation CD. It has most of the classics in there, "The Bends," "Paranoid Android," "Fake Plastic Trees," etc.

Some of the songs I like are the more conventional ones, like "Killer Cars" and "Melatonin." "Idioteque," while not a conventional song, is pretty cohesive so I kind of enjoyed that as well.

I can appreciate the poetic lyrics of "Fake Plastic Trees," but it just doesn't sound that appealing to me when set to music.

And man, the lyrics to "Paranoid Android," I totally don't get the lyrics at all (but it sounds good, especially after some weed).

So I like some of their stuff, but not all of it. But why do so many people hail them as some sort of revolutionary band that is going to revolutionize music?

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, because I know how silly it is to ask people to defend their passions. I mean, if someone tells me that Firefly and Freaks and Geeks are not the grestest shows on earth, I just might have to kick their ass. ;)

Is there something I'm missing in the music? Is that something I can learn to appreciate, or is it a "you got it or you don't kind of thing?"

2. vwiggin

I guess I should explain a bit what I don't like about their music.

It seems a lot of the music just floats through random notes without any direction or cohesion. Now, I do like improv Jazz, in fact, I love it. But for some reason it just doesn't sound right when Radiohead does it.

Maybe Radiohead's music is suppose to inspire a sense of alienation. So maybe the disjointed music works as a critique of how alone and disjointed we feel in modern society. Maybe I just don't feel that alienation and that's why I can't appreciate the music?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

IMHO they have a few good albums one epic album (ok computer) and a couple of bad albums. Well they're not bad but I rarely if ever listen to them.

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

It took me awhile to get into Radiohead, I was much like you, wondering wtf is this stuff? I listened to Kid A and got into that rather quickly, then I just branched out from there to their other stuff.

5. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Yeah all my friends love Radiohead...I just don't "get" it. Its like they are noodling around a keyboard trying to get as far away from a melody or a hook as possible.

When I used to work at a music store ...my employees played OK Computer CONSTANTLY.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It's hard for me to explain why I like them so much. They used to be one of my top 5 favorite bands of all-time, but they have slid down several positions. They're still in my top 10. "Kid A" is still one of my all-time favorite albums by anyone and "The Bends" and "OK Computer" are great albums, too. The other 3 albums ("Pablo Honey", "Amnesiac", and "Hail to the Thief") have their moments but are not as solid as the ones I mentioned earlier, IMO.

I think part of the appeal of Radiohead is this impression that they have never compromised their artistic integrity or they have never "sold out".

7. KingCheetah

I haven't heard all of Thom Yorke's solo album, but i've heard a couple of songs including the first single and it's everything I don't like about Radiohead. All the electronic babble - etc.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't like much of Radioheads works, but I think Thom Yorke's solo album is pure genius. I'm a big fan of electronica rock.

9. Fatty FatBastard

Put in some Motorhead. I guarantee it will kick Radiohead's ass.

And with that, I present... THE INCREDIBLE SINGING DOLLS!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rnIuow93vo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rnIuow93vo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#9 Fatty FatBastard, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I tried to get into them but never could. I think Flaming Lips is a lot better and I'm not even into them that much.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Well Hawkwind will.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Like a few songs on Pablo Honey, love The Bends, love OK Computer, lukewarm on Kid A, little less lukewarm on Amnesiac, and can't stand Hail to the Thief.

They seem to want to push all their old fans away....except for the really hip ones....which I'm not.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no

you arent weird

I tried to listen to them back when ManRam was constantly going on about them..but I just couldnt get into it.

all this talk about how great they are is overblown imo..Ive heard better bands at clubs.

14. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I like Spinning Plates.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You should never feel weird because of your musical tastes. Don't let the music snobs win!!

That said, I like Radiohead. My feelings almost completely mirror ima_drummer2k's, except that I liked Hail to the Thief.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

They're in my top 3 of all time favorite bands. I think OK Computer and KID A are pure genius, and The Bends is one of those rare albums were every single track could have been a single IMO. Hail to the Thief and Amnesiac aren't as good as those, but I still enjoy them.

Also, I have to say Radiohead is the best sounding band I've ever heard live.

17. KingCheetah

^
    |
    |
    |

Radiohead is incredible live. :cool:

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Radiohead, but some of the stuff I appreciate most about them isn't even the songs I like most if that makes sense.

I appreciation is one thing and liking the songs is something else.

I happen to do both at least most of the time.

But especially on Kid A I appreciate what they were doing. They were stretching the sounds they got out of their instruments, they were using very unconventional meter on some of the songs, and just pushing the boundary. But at the same time I got the feeling that is what they were wanting to do, and not doing just to say, "Hey everyone! Look how experimental we are!"

That being said, Kid A isn't my favorite album. I like it, and I listen to it, especially when I want to feel inspired, but I like OK Computer and The Bends even more.

Those are my thoughts towards Beck.

I have the same feeling about Beck. People have mostly the same music taste I do love Beck. I don't like him. The songs I kind of like by Beck such as "Lost Cause" are the ones that other people don't like as much.

Yet people absolutely love him. Many of his lyrics just really get on my nerves.

19. vwiggin

Thank you guys for your thoughtful insights. I've asked similar questions elsewhere and got a earful of "oh that's because you don't know music!" or "radiohead is for music snobs!"

It is nice to hear passionate (but also tolerant) views from both sides. :)

I guess I am ok with not "loving" them. But what bugs me a little is that I don't even know how to appreciate them.

I like melodies and hooks and stuff that rocks like Chuck Berry and Live. But I also feel a bit left out when I don't see what so many passionate fans obviously see in Radiohead.

Knowing that I'm not alone does make me feel a lot better, though. Thanks guys. :D

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Like I said above, it took me awhile to get into them. Maybe if you listen to them more often you can get into them. Maybe you will never like them, which is alright, theres some bands I cannot stand. If you can get into them though, you're in for a treat. :D