1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Radical Idea = Yao...Off the Bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, May 13, 2010.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

This is why your an idiot.....no really.

2. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Oh Please, the only people who brought up a "True Rocket fan" is the ones who want to trade Yao right now, when he is at his lowest value........

While some really good fans, who at least understand the fundamentals of trading, realize Yao ain't moving right now and we will have to work him back into the system and trade him right before Trade deadline or do a sign and trade or he suffers a career injury.

For now, why not utilize him in the best way possible, if that means playing a total of 25 minutes (either starting or from the bench) so be it. I rather discuss this than, every "So called Rocket Fan", praise every negative comment about Yao.

Sorry i am a Rocket fan, i love all the players who represent the city of Houston, especially players who give back to the City.

I may disagree about certain players worth, but I am not filtering all messages with a script saying

IF any poster post something Negative about Yao
    Than Praise post and agree with "I am a true Rocket fan"
    Else
    Create Negative Post about Yao and than declare "I am a true Rocket fan"
    end

I see this far too often with the same posters, over and over again. Its so tiring, I almost wish Yao was traded so these posters can post something else. But by than, they will have someone new to hate like "Ariza

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It's obvious you are a YOF

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Oh please, another typical response.

Go look up my posts about trading him for the right pieces, crap my current post mentions trading him during the trade deadline where his value will be higher.

I don't hug his nuts and say he has a super leg and he is going to come back a 20/10 player.

I also forgot to add to my IF statement.

IF any poster post something Negative about Yao
    Than Praise post and agree with "I am a true Rocket fan" and post "Your a YOF"
    Else
    Create Negative Post about Yao and than declare "I am a true Rocket fan" and post "Your a YOF"
    end

I guess i must be a AOF fan, because i happen to like Ariza and i defend him.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

So you missed most of the 2008-2009 season?

Yao has had his issues but my question for those that insist we HAVE to trade Yao, still remains what is an alternate solution FOR Yao?

You don't see many centers that are better then Yao in scoring and his contract is large enough that if someone was to trade for Yao, it would take a lot of garbage and trading away at least one rotation player or pick to get that deal done. I don't expect (I hope but don't expect) Yao to be at his elite self when the the season starts and I hope he does come off the bench to slowly work himself back into starting shape or just be our closer. But I don't think the team can just get rid of him and not suffer ill effects from the lost of one of the best centers in the NBA, because you know the guy you get via trade won't be nearly as stable or good as Yao short of Orlando's GM going nuts and trading Howard.

In the end, it is basically comes down to if, Yao doesn't opt out, we will have to deal with him and you really are not exactly in a bad position when you have a guy like Yao that when healthy can give you 20-15 a night.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Basketball is a game of matchups. If you have an overwhelming matchup in your favor, you exploit it.

This is basic basketball....

7. dschwab

dschwab Member

I like this idea tremendously.

And thank you for providing several warrants for your claim, it is very refreshing to see a thread like this as opposed: to "Yao off the bench? Discuss." or "Trade Yao for Marc Gasol, discuss".

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I say start him off like this, but let him get back into the starting lineup a month or two in.

9. leebigez

leebigez Member

What about 7 minutes,t-mac minutes?

10. RocketForever

RocketForever Member

No offense, you sound like a very bitter person who wants eye for an eye revenge on Yao because of the treatment that Tmac has received from the management and the coaching team. Your mentality is very interesting to say the very least.

11. Garner

Garner Member

Only if the player you are trading for is a mainline to a foreign market comparable to China.

12. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Our bench is our only chance of being a contender. And putting our slowest player with our up and down bench squad makes no sense. Lowry, c-bud, ariza/battier, hill, all play better with an uptempo style. it just plays into their hands, and we cannot utilize this with yao there.

Also, the aquisition of Martin is completely useless with this move. Martin was brought in strictly to play off of yao.

If we go to war with our same starting five, and just adding yao to our bench id say we might be pushing for the final few spots in the west, but we would not b a contender

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

China is not watching the NBA right now?

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I watched it long enough to also be there when Yao got injured AGAIN, this time in the postseason where it counts the most. Yao is injury prone and easily neutralized, a horrible combination. Either he needs to get better to warrant his huge salary or take a massive paycut and a reduced roll. I don't care if he's able to give me 20/10 if he doesn't do it when it matters or for the majority of the season. I would rather have Marc Gasol or one of the Lopez brothers than Yao at this point in time.

As for the poster talking about supporting Rockets players, I only support them when they are consistently helping out the team, otherwise I could care less about them. Wearing a Rockets uniform does not make you a Rocket. T-Mac, Brian Cook, and Hilton Armstrong all wore a Rockets jersey last year. Why should I even want to support any of them? If you play hard and help the team win, I will support that player as a cog of the team. If said player is overpaid, easily neutralized, and injury prone, to me he is just another weak link.

15. sammy

sammy Member

I don't even want to say it :p

16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Okay so I am an idiot too.....pfft we all have occasional grammar issues :)

Plus we are all idiots at some point in our lives, some more than others. I admit, I can be an idiot a lot of times. After all we are human.

Just look at my stupid nickname, no rhyme or reason...i was an idiot that day when i created this name.

17. leebigez

leebigez Member

Not eye for eye, i couldn't give a rats ass about either one of them. They both have failed in the experiment and is time to go. I said this last year and the year before. Yao just like tracy is a joke as a leader. Yao is a more well liked person and is a hard worker, but the constant injuries and coming up small in big time playoff games has me sour. At some point and time, the end is near for all players. Shaq,Kidd,and garnett have all been traded for various reasons. For some on this board, yao leaves and they leave which is fine by me. They truth of it is, he never had a prime and if he did, it was the shortest prime I've see n in awhile. Why waste time with a slow,plodding big man with lower body trouble? I think he's a good player, but good doesn't get it done when you're suppose to be great. The coming off the bench idea speaks for itself. If they're going to play him, play him. Let him play 30-35 minutes to see if his leg will hold up. If he goes down again, say bye and move on.

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

This doesn't seem so radical anymore.

If Yao is only playing at maximum 24 minutes per game, and he's going to be missing at least 19 games due to back-to-backs, might it make sense to bring him off the bench?

- Maximize the amount of time on the floor when Yao is playing and the other team is in the penalty.
    - The starting lineup will be more stable.
    - It will be easier to manage his minutes if he's coming off the bench.

19. rockets934life

I had an idea this would happen, I was thinking 24-28 minutes to start and then once he got up to 30 minutes then start him again but since he will be at 24 for a while then coming off the bench something that has to be considered.

From the other thread...

Sounds to me like they are really considering it and I say this happens.

#99 rockets934life, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

MightyMog has made the statements about trading Yao before, I think his course of action is the most prudent around.

Well spoken MM !

DD