1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Radical Idea = Yao...Off the Bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, May 13, 2010.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it to late to get Jordan Hill on some growth hormones so we can get him to like 7-4?

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Heard HCG works pretty good... :grin:

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

You think the possibility of getting a few marginal picks and packing on 17 million dollars in contracts has better likely upside than seeing for one year if Yao can come back and be the best or second best center in the league?

You're either playing a wicked game of devil's advocate or you're freaking insane.

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry, but that makes no sense what so ever.. So basically after 2 or 3 years of finally getting Adelman's offense inserted, you revert back to another offense to accomodate one player...

5. HoustonHardhead

HoustonHardhead New Member

I've been a member for some time and a reader for wayyyyyyy farther but never really posted so i am not allowed to start a thread i guess but i have a question would anyone want Shaq here for the league minimum if he wanted to back-up yao

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Why hasn't anyone came up with such a rad idea before?

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think you can start him for like 10 mins, then rest him, and he plays like 3 mins in the 2nd quarter, then he plays the first 8 mins of the 3rd quarter, and then he plays the last 6 mins of the game. So its 27 mins, playing on court and 21 minutes resting, So he is not playing starter mins, but he is giving good contribution.

Or you can take Yao off the bench, so he can win 6th man of the year award! :grin:

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you asshat! That isn't the same as not paying a single game this season!

You take moron to a whole new level. Congrats.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

let's find a nice center first and then we'll talk about it.

10. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yao is probably one of the best Cs in the league.

Yao is a veteran player.

Regardless of his salary, Yao should start. Much like AI.

The idiots who think that a caliber player like Yao shouldn't start, must understand that players have something called PRIDE.

Players make so much money, that it just doesn't even matter HOW much they get paid. Really, all they want is fame, respect, and honor.

If we don't start Yao, no matter how humble and gracious he is, I doubt he'd play for the Rockets w/ any passion.

11. Chamillionaire

IMO, he needs to play. the reasons why he needs to be in there is obvious.

he probably won't get the PT he did before, but once he is 100%, i hope he plays 30+ minutes.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Unless we get that FA splash we are all hoping for, Yao Ming as STILL our franchise player. Naturally, a team will revert to another offensive scheme to accommodate him. You think even a young and healthy Yao could keep up with our new offense? Also, Yao is not that great from the high post. That was proven when we had him try and he sucked it up. So yeah, unless you want to marginalize Yao even more, you accommodate your franchise player.

13. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Financially and business wise Yao is gold for an nba owner who has business with China....

The networking exposure gained would be much more....

14. jason3333

jason3333 Member

Charlie Pallilo is a loser! how does he find work? if you all want yao to go somewhere else then have him off the bench

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Marc Gasol would be awesome!

True Rockets fans cheer for the TEAM. Last time I checked, players come and go and don't wing rings by themselves. Hell, in the case of T-Mac, they don't even win the first round of the playoffs. I couldn't give a damn about whether or not Yao is on the Rockets or not. He is injury prone and too easily neutralized. As far as your NBA fantasy comment, didn't I just say I would rather have a guy that is worse off, but plays more games?

If the rest of Yao's injuries the past few years weren't all feet related (which is a similar ailment that a lot of big men share later in their careers) I would consider agreeing with you. Yao being injury prone is not a fluke but an inevitability. In addition to being injury prone, Yao is also the most easily neutralized "superstar" in the NBA. It is true that he has an impressive offensive arsenal around the rim, but that is completely useless when he is fronted or injured. Also, Yao supporters always say he will play at an elite level, when he is healthy. My question is when is he ever healthy?

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

As Rockets and basketball fans though, that shouldn't me anything to us. People on this board act like Yao is the next coming of Christ and poops golden eggs.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

[​IMG]

18. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I would trade Yao in a heartbeat, but the question is which team is willing to give up something valuable for a center who is very injury prone making $17 million.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Off the bench for the first half season is fine. We want this guy for several more years, work him in SLOWLY.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

True, but when healthy, in the right situations he is nearly unstoppable. You can only say that about, what, maybe half a dozen players in the league?