1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racist Chinese Laundry Detergent Commercial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 27, 2016.

1. amaru

amaru Member

For the record, I don't like the Italian ad either. Our worth is not defined by the size of genitalia

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough I guess but I'm trying to say that if you are confident of your own self worth, you shouldn't get upset by a funny commercial even if it's tacky and lame. I just think people should be better than that.

3. amaru

amaru Member

The specific Chinese commercial of a Chinese woman discarding a black person hits home more than usual because it mirrors part of my family history.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

so does the chinese guy turn into a white guy or an albino when bleach is added to the wash?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand that, and for you personally it's acceptable to be upset by it because family issues pretty much trump everything else. I was talking about the average person and the PC bruhs who roll around looking to be offended by things.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course Bobby will tell you that you are just lacking a sense of humor and you need to go back to your safe space and hand with your PC bros and whine and b**** about what a victim you are.

I see the duality. On one hand you have a Chinese company looking at this Italian commercial and thinking oh, we can just reverse it and make it fit our product and that's ok.

On the other hand, I see the very dark message when you have the overlay of racist attitudes many Asians have towards blacks.

I think we're in a space where it's safe to make fun of a group you belong to, but the world hasn't healed enough from racial pain to be ready to laugh at stereotypes just yet.

People who have no idea what it's like to be a minority - like Bobby - lack the empathy to imagine what minorities experience. To him, it's just whining and b****ing and playing a victim card - because he has no identity about race has he has never faced discrimination. Usually these are the type of people who complain the most at the smallest slights ironically.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is a foolish, and even racist assumption by you.....but let's face it, no one should be surprised by it at this point. I can't imagine anyone here not realizing what a simple minded fool you are.

I really wish you'd go with a different persona, this one is getting tiresome.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You consistently speak as if your issues or those who are close to you are the only real problems in the world. Yes, sometimes you need to just suck it up. Being born as a male, white and straight doesn't guarantee you a front line to the show, regardless of what narrow minded people like you think.

There is an old saying; Democracy is nothing more than two wolves and a sheep deciding whats for dinner. Its the majority that devours the minority, regardless of skin color, or sex, or sexual preference or the dozens and dozens of commonly found discriminatory situations we all face.

Sometimes one needs to find the inner peace in life and put away the bitter raging old man who sits at the keyboard pounding away on forums at all of the injustices of life.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look - I really don't get worked-up about the discrimination I have faced because I am so fortunate to have had the opportunities I have had and yes there are challenges, but armed with the education and support system, I was easily able to overcome those things. Not all people are as fortunate as myself. And I don't have my views here because of myself or out of anger, but because I believe it is worthwhile to try to convince people.

believe it or not, I am more interested in waking Bobby up. I know I am hitting a nerve with him when he gets so angry and starts spewing the stream of insults. I play it back a bit on him to annoy him a bit but in reality, I wouldn't engage him if I didn't give a crap.

Now, do I face stereotypes? Of course...but it's a joke to me as I enjoy playing with people's biases as I feel that is more effective than direct confrontation. In other words, I just try to be aware and dispel.

But in reality, this isn't about people playing victim cards at all, which bothers me about the whole suck-it-up attitude. yes, you have to suck it up, but that doesn't make it right. it sounds like you justify racism because one can overcome it but that's a bit sad because that implies you have biases yourself that you need to defend. That's ok, 90% of this country has biases against African Americans. And the nature of biases is that you don't realize you have them - because if you did, most good people (and I believe that you are a good person - I know shocking right?) would confront them if they were aware.

I am interested in having a discourse with you, but what I generally see is you like to escalate things into an insult battle like so many others. You want to attack me as a bitter old man but you don't know very much about me. That shows a bias in and of itself. Do you not see that?

#89 Sweet Lou 4 2, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  10. Buck Turgidson

Shocking News!

People of other cultures/races/continents are a tad racist towards others.

This stay at home mom had something serious to say, what happens next is heartbreaking...

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

unforgivably , this racist commercial is successful in serving its propose of promoting a product. you may wonder how such ads passed China strictly controlled media policy.
    Racism in the US is not over , it just different .once it was an imposed segregation now is unutterably a voluntarily matter in a slicker fashion

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not ignoring anything by Chavez. I accept that he used objectionable terms.

But unlike you, I realize that doesn't erase the huge accomplishments he made. Sorry but one thing you don't like or don't believe that others would like, doesn't erase huge gains, and progression.

You look for a fault in a well accomplished individual and think that somehow negates everything else they did. It doesn't.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, if only more people who have no concept of what the targets of the discrimination actually experience could tell them how they should react, we'd all be much better off.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Due to the death of my family dog, all commercials featuring dogs trigger me and they should be banned.

15. Buck Turgidson

What about the setbacks and regression?

16. baubo

baubo Member

Chinese people are racist, but it's not the same kind of racism in America. China is 99.999% Chinese. It's not like they have a lot of race relations and history to deal with. And yes, they think white people are better than black people. Makes sense, White people in China tend to be more from Europe and America while black people from Africa. It's not exactly the same as in America where whether you're Hispanic or Black or Asian or White you're all Americans.

Is it racist? Yes. But not really the kind of you think of where black people has to sit in the back of the bus or go to separate school type of racism.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It indicates a curiosity about blacks while betraying an unfamiliarity and anxiety brought about by not interacting with them beyond foreign media imagery. It appears to depict blacks primary in Western settings, which probably only comprise 4-5% of blacks worldwide and might be less jarring than hypothetical sub-Saharan imagery.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think he knew trying to pay rent playing dress up and make believe would entail some compromises, as it were.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Actually it's the exact same thing, they're both drawing irony and absurdity out of cultural perceptions for the sake of entertainment.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Something specific to child abandonment or being orphaned?