1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racist Bake Sale at Cal Berkeley?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by apollo33, Sep 28, 2011.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/26/us/california-racial-bake-sale/

(CNN) -- It's meant to be racist, and it's meant to be discriminatory.

And the controversial "Increase Diversity Bake Sale" hosted by the Berkeley College Republicans is still on, the club's president said, despite "grossly misguided comments" and threats aimed at supporters of the University of California, Berkeley, student group.

During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1, black men for 75 cents and Native American men for 25 cents. All women will get 25 cents off those prices.

The bake sale is meant to draw attention to pending legislation that would allow California universities to consider race, gender, ethnicity and national origin during the admissions process.
    Student defends 'race' bake sale
    Bake sale prices based on race

"We agree that the event is inherently racist, but that is the point," BCR President Shawn Lewis wrote in response to upheaval over the bake sale. "It is no more racist than giving an individual an advantage in college admissions based solely on their race (or) gender."

Similar events have been held at other colleges across the country, generally organized by college Republican groups. In some cases -- such as at Berkeley -- the plan sparked controversy and protests.

Other times, university officials stepped in.

At Bucknell University in Pennsylvania, officials shut down one of the bake sales on campus. Officials at The College of William and Mary in Virginia cut off a cookie sale, saying they were "shocked and appalled."

The University of California, Irvine, shut down a bake sale on campus, saying it was discriminatory. A bake sale at Southern Methodist University in Texas was shut down after 45 minutes because of what officials called an "unsafe environment," according to local reports.

Lewis said the bake sale at Berkeley was unanimously agreed upon by the club, whose leadership includes Asian and Hispanic students and whose membership represents a "wide variety of ethnic backgrounds."

"More than half of the voices were female," he added.

Berkeley's student government, the Associated Students of the University of California, held an emergency Senate meeting late Sunday to discuss the issue and passed a resolution that, in part, "condemns the use of discrimination whether it is in satire or in seriousness by any student group."

"I completely support the idea of BCR -- or any students on campus -- (having) political discussion," ASUC President Vishalli Loomba said. "I think student members of BCR have a full right to express their feelings, but I don't necessarily think this tactic is constructive. I strongly encourage them to engage in this dialogue in a more constructive manner, such as a forum or a town hall meeting.'

But the bake sale is intended to be a direct, "physical counterpoint" to an ASUC-sponsored phone bank -- also scheduled for Tuesday -- during which students will be encouraged to call Gov. Jerry Brown's office to support the legislation, Lewis said. The ASUC has endorsed the legislation, SB 185.

Lewis said supporters of the bake sale have received threats, including people who said they will "stop by the table only to knock it over" or "buy a cupcake just to throw it at (us)."

"Some of the threats online have gotten more specific, but we're hoping that's just emotion," he said.

While the initial feedback to the planned sale was largely in heated opposition, responses have "plateaued" and include the support of self-described Democrats, Lewis said.

Loomba, the student government president, said she is concerned about students potentially feeling ostracized due to the bake sale.

"I have heard that from numerous students who have said this makes students feel unwelcome on campus," she said. "For that reason alone, we should think about what events we have on campus."

Loomba described the situation as a "campus climate issue."

"UC Berkeley stands for a place where everyone -- regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation -- should feel inclusive," she said. "I think they should be able to express their opinion, but keep that value in mind."

As for where the bake sale proceeds will go, Lewis said the College Republicans are considering several charities.

But "because of all this controversy, we don't want to advertise the organization," he said. "We don't want to cause them problems."

If anything, I think Asians are the ones that are discriminated against in this whole affirmative action in higher education thing. Way more than whites are at least.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The most shocking thing about this is that there is a College Republican group at UC Berkeley.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, they shouldn't be surprised if the average weight of native American women goes up after this!

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually they are a pretty large and strong group. When I was there in the 90's they were the largest single student political group on campus. Consider that a lot of Orange County and SD County students go to CAL along with students form places like Modesto that lean Republican. Due to the number of liberal groups that dilutes the numbers of but of the individual liberal groups while the College Republicans are relatively cohesive.

About this particular protest I am glad CAL is letting it go ahead. I think they are going about their message in a rather asinine way, particularly that from pictures I've seen the some of the CAL students working the sale are dressing up like Chief Wahoo, but this is free speech and CAL is the birthplace of the on campus free speech movement.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This happens every year on campuses across the country. Hell, I remember seeing one at U of H... no one really made a stink about it, just a lot of scoffing and snickering. Figures it would make the kids at Cal Berkley crap themselves enough to get national attention though. It's just another copy-cat conservative demonstration meme that overly simplifies a very complex issue. I liked this guy's take on it:

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm not in favour of racist baked goods.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So I need to find a female Native American to buy up all the goods, so I can resell it to the white boys for a profit?

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

This is what is infuriating about the Democrats. The size of that massive tent means internal bickering (or time wasted debating) when they really should all be on the same page as the GOP was under the Bush admin.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am so glad they are finally going to bake some racists.

Is it true they taste like chicken?

DD

1 person likes this.
  11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Why do Asian's get $.50 off? I really don't think Asians get any benefit for being a minority.

12. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I like the idea, being more on the left side of spectrum, I still don't understand why a black girl in the same intellectual and economical situation as myself pays less for college.

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I remember there being something similar to this a year or so ago, which also made headlines. Unless it's the same group, they're not too original.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My cousin is going to buy me a box of crackers.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly. Not only are Asians not considered minority, they get discriminated against when applying for colleges.

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Affirmative Action based on race and gender is wrong.

Affirmative Action based on family income is right.

I don't much give a **** about this bake sale, racist or not.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are the goods baked by the actual racists? I want to make sure before I buy that they are baked by the racists themselves and not some Mexican ladies.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Why go to a bake sale when you can bake the damn thing yourself at home and add some mar1juana to it???

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's how Jim Crow worked, family income.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Exactly, colleges are actually super racist towards Asians, and they are actually sexist towards men.