1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racism alive and well......terrible story

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, Jul 31, 2001.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Abdul-Rauf's house was burned down, and the letters KKK were spray painted on a sign nearby when he had it built. Terrible. No proof it was arson yet, but he seems to think it is.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20010731/ap-abdul-rauffire.html

Former NBA player's home destroyed by fire

July 31, 2001

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) -- The unoccupied home of former NBA player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was destroyed by fire Monday.

No one was injured in the blaze that left only the brick frame standing at the house five miles outside of Gulfport. Authorities said arson has not been ruled out.

``As far as I'm concerned, this sounds like a hate crime,'' said Abdul-Rauf, who is black. ``When a person can't build a home on the property he owns, it's ridiculous. It shows how hateful and how prejudiced people are.''

The house, which had been for sale, has never been occupied.

During construction of the 2,800-square-foot home, the letters KKK were spray-painted on a sign near the house, Abdul-Rauf said. The contractor had reported receiving calls threatening his life.

``I (once) said before I moved in, it would be burned down,'' Abdul-Rauf said. ``This is just an indication, I think, of how far we've got to go in terms of human relations in this country.''

Hancock County Fire Marshall Richard Pate said the cause of the fire is unknown, but that arson hasn't been ruled out.

``We want to cover all bases on this thing to make sure we don't miss anything,'' Pate said.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited July 31, 2001).]

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is a certain generation of people that will be gone in 20 years (death or old age), when they are gone racism should be about gone. Just need a few older guys to die or become feeble. There will surely be a younger group of racists but it won't be serious. Thats my prediction.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

3. j-bone

j-bone Member

This same statement was probably made about twenty , forty, even 60 yrs. ago. It's not the age factor or the era that we're living in. It's just the mentality of some people who instills it into the younger generation, therefore making it exist even longer. Personally, I think it's just plain stupidity to hate someone because of the color of the skin or religion, beliefs, etc.... I really don't think that kids nowadays care about racism, it's just their idiotic parents and ancestors that force that mentality on them and try to brainwash them. I'm not referring to any particiular race in this post just to clear things up. I referring to all races, white, blacks, etc... And just for the record, I'm black and I think it's stupid for a black person to hate a white person just because of what happen to their ancestors and vice versa.

Times have changed and even though the system hasn't changed much, I think it's time to move on from all of this racism. I'm just trying to be as nice and political as I can be right now.

------------------
    The intelligent prediction from Moses Malone: "Foe, Foe, Foe".

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I totally agree with you T-bone. I kind of disagree with Hoops subject. Yes, racism is very much alive, but its very unpopular. You will always have at least that one fool who will hate a race and burn down his house. And whats worse is this is probably some white trash piece of crap who is upset because there is a black person who is doing much better than he will ever do.

------------------
    "Where there is a will ... I want on it."

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

How on earth did I perceive the notion that it was POPULAR? I think it is a terrible thing. Geeze, how easily things are misconstrued when it comes to this topic.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited July 31, 2001).]

6. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

I don't disagree with your most likely
    characterization of the perpetrator(s)...but
    racism is definitely not just a white thing.

------------------
    It's a cool site, this clutchcity.net

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Maybe I should not have posted this at all. I know it gets touchy in here. But I thought it was a noteworthy article.

My subject was not at all a means to put a positive light or popular spin on racism. I just want to make that clear.

------------------

8. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Yes there are people from all races that are racists. But you have to admit that most offenders of hate crimes are white.

------------------
    Check out my site:

The Steve Francis Fan Site

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This has gone on with Abdul-Rauf for the last couple of years, I believe in the same neighborhood, and that is sad. This isn't about who is more racist, black people, white people, or asians, this is about people harassing Abdul-Rauf because of the color of his skin.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'm sure that Abdul-Rauf made some enemies by his memorable refusal to stand during the national anthem. Let me be very clear that I'm not condoning the actions - I just think there could be more to the arson than just the fact that he is black.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So you saying
    HEY . . .black folx been f*ck over. . .
    We know it
    they know it
    Let's just forget it happened?
    if not forget . . .let's just act like it didn't?

or black folx should just GET OVER IT

The problem is this - what happened in the
    past has had lasting and strong reprocussion
    even 'leveling' the playing field now does
    not correct the advantage gained in the past.

If I steal your whole families money
    and inhibit your ability to make more.
    THEN ALLOW our sons to compete on a 'even playing field'
    BUT
    because my son had the benefit of 'our money'
    the contacts made with that money including
    myself and the stuff i learned using your money
    My ability to buy him the best computers
    goto the best schools tutors etc. get him
    the 'proper' pedigree etc . . . how truly
    level is that .. .

My son - a product of the proper schools
    tutors. . .and colleges
    not to mention social and business contacts

vs

you son - product of public school and public
    college and what contacts he makes there

I'm not saying your son will do worse. . but he *is* disadvantaged by a situation that had
    nothing to do with him . .. he is disadvatage because I Stole from you . . .

While u can hold that my son owes you son
    nothing because he did not do anything. . .
    you cannot say he does not
    1. benefit from the stealing
    2. have an advantage

some cliches are worth noting - that pertain
    to the way black folx view white folx

Those who do not learn from history are bound
    to repeat it.

Fool me one. . . shame one you
    Fool Me twice . . Shame on me

Rocket River
    FOR THE RECORD - I don't know what black folx
    u hang with but i don't know of any black folx
    that hate specific white folx for the past but
    their is a general level of distrust and trepidation.

------------------

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Maybe the way you are misconstruing my statement? I never said you said it was popular!

------------------
    "Where there is a will ... I want on it."

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's sad that people have to take some refusing to solute the flag seriously, like the weird people who took to waving flags at games because of Abdul-Rauf's refusal to solute the flag, but I think you're right. Not only is it racist, I think it might be some sick individuals still holding a grudge.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 31, 2001).]

14. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

What is all this talk about races?

There is only on race.
    The human race.
    All humans are beautiful.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Racism is hate. We need less hate and more love.
    Everybody should make love and become spaceflowers.

That´s just my humble opinion.

------------------
    There are many colors in the homo rainbow. Don´t be afraid to let your colors shine.

15. j-bone

j-bone Member

Let's make this clear guys, race is neither popular nor is just a white thing.There are plenty blacks, asians, and hispnics that are as racist as anyone else just to name a few. I was afraid that some posters would get some things misconstrued and make it one sided. As I said in the earlier post, racism comes in all colors, shapes, and forms. Racism is just not about hating the other color and so on. Racism comes in forms that has to do with gender, religion, beliefs, etc.... All I'm saying, is that racism is the most ignorant type of hate out there, and it's taking lives everyday. It's somewhat like HIV, whereas a person who doesn't know anything about the disease just goes off of he say she say information and think that if they're anywhere around that person, then they will be infected. But when you read about it and study it, you understand more about it and how it can affect you and how it can't affect you. That's basically the sam with racism. If we only knew the facts, then we will all realize how stupid it is and let things be.

------------------
    The intelligent prediction from Moses Malone: "Foe, Foe, Foe".

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

You know, we might want to wait until the cause of the fire is determined before talking about it being a hate crime or an act of racism. Just because the house burned down doesn't necessarily mean that some racist torched it (or that anyone torched it).

The FD hasn't even determined that it's arson yet. It's making a huge jump to assume it's arson by a racist based on the evidence available to us at this time.

Personally, I think it's irresponsible of Abdul-Rauf to point the finger at racism without even knowing whether it was arson or not. What if it turns out to be an electrical fire or something like that? He'll have fanned the flames of race relations for no reason (and, in my opinion, hurt others who are victims of race-related crime. It just adds fuel to the stereotype that African-Americans cry racism everytime anything happens to them. If this turns out to be arson committed by someone because Abdul-Rauf is African-American or Muslim or whatever, then decry the act with gusto. But until more is known, he's just crying wolf).

------------------
    "Doing stuff is overrated. Hitler did lots of stuff..."
    FilmDallas.com
    ThingFromUranus.com

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

This is true. Although the fact that someone painted KKK near his home alone is a pretty good topic for discussion.

Still, though, I think if I were in his situation, I would probably come to the same conclusion. And I think there would be basis for it.

And on the topic as a whole: One side is holding on to what happened in the past, and how it has shaped their lives up to this point, while the other holds on to the beliefs of the past, and the prejudices that were unwittingly instilled in them by the previous generations.

The only way anything will ever get better is if everyone lets it all go, lives in the present, tries to see everyone as human and do their best to improve themselves and the world from here on out.

It's always best to learn from the past, not keep reliving it.

Do I think it can happen? Probably not. Or at least not for a long, long time.

------------------
    Homer: "Hey, what's that guy hooked to?"
    Nurse: "A respirator. It breathes for him."
    Homer: "And here I am using my own lungs like a sucker!"

[This message has been edited by Rokkit (edited August 01, 2001).]

18. JCBlazersGirl33

or black folx should just GET OVER IT

How do you tell people who have bean through he unimaginable to get over it? Would you tell Jews to get over the Holocaust? We need to always remember the dark chapters of human history or we are doomed to repeat it. Yes racism is alive and well.The only difference is that it is more subtle now than the bold faced hate of the past. If you look at the people we see on our telivision show, you'll notice that today's diverse society is not at all portrayed on the screen. Stereotypes about minorities are perpetuated in movies. In NYC, supposedly our nations top melting pot, unarmed blacks are shot to death by police(i can think of atleast 3 or 4 incidents in the past year). Cops at the Nj Turn Pike use racial profiling as a normal tactic. During the gulf war and after the Oklahoma City bombing, most of my arab friends were treated horribly simply b/c of their ethnicity. Being white, i used to have your exact attitude. But i've woken up.

19. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Racism is ugly and is perpetuated by parents who teach their children their hate-filled attitudes.

HOWEVER...that does not condone people making excuses and whining about how disadvantaged they are. To quote a recent popular song:

"What would you do? Get up on my feet and stop making those tired old excuses."

There is a much larger division in this country than race, and it's the division between the rich and poor. Thankfully, unlike many third world countries, in America you have the opportunity to rise above the level you were born at through hard work.

Do you think that new immigrants to this country tell their kids to give up because they are poor?

Anyway, to get back on topic, my hope is that racism is slowly dieing out. I have a few friends with racist parents who have evaluated what their parents said and rejected it. My grandparents would have never considered marrying out of their race, but my brother and I are both married to Japanese women.

Hopefully through the influence of the media and through the gradual evolution of the way people think, the 21st century can become known as the age of tolerance. I firmly believe right now that the noise we hear is from outspoken idiots who have to put others down to make themselves feel better.

------------------
    Looks like the Sniper's aim was off....

20. Rocket crazy

Rocket crazy Member

"But you have to admit that most offenders of hate crimes are white."- LilStevie3

Im not saying it isn't true, but i haven't seen the "numbers." Most of the journalized hate crimes are whites to black's, but playing pickup basketball and being around, i hear more people calling someone a "JEW" for doing something wrong then someone calling someone (hate to use the word) ******. Most/alot of people know its wrong to call someone a ******, which is extremely racist. But isn't calling someone a "Jew" extremely racist too? Im half Jewish (mom is Baptist, dad jewish,) It is a part of me, its not a belief but it is my heritage. I hear people calling someone a 'Jew' much more often then i hear the word ******.