1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Racism] African Americans in Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm saying that waiters should not treat black customers different. You guys are saying that blacks are naturally not dressed well, have bad manners, don't smile, etc. Not all blacks are like that and not all whites are pleasant all the time. Treat me the same until you know how I am, don't go by an assumption. It's really not that hard.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

OK, I'll do that.

But I am not a waiter and have can't order them to do it.

What are YOU personally going to do about this situation?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Tip opposite of what is expected for your race?

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think most gays are promiscous people, and there are studies that show a lot of them to have a lot of sex partners, therefore I am against gay couples adopting kids because they'll just break up anyway, nevermind that there are some gay couples who stay together for decades. No thats not discrimination, that's just observation.

Studies show a high percentage of crimes committed in urban setings are by black people, therefore when I see a black man, I will get ready to call 911, yell, or kick him in the crotch should he make even a glance at me, nevermind if I have never met him before. he's already more of a potential criminal than anyone else. No thats not discrimination, thats just observation.

:rolleyes:

i smell a stench in here.

5. hotballa

well people expect blacks to tip 10% apparently, maybe they shold tip 01% instead :D

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I think some people use the race card to justify any perceived slice against them. If it's a white person, then it's one thing, if it's a black guy slighting another black person, then that person says the black guy has a white self-hating center or whatever.

It's hard to judge someone who doesn't make a lot of money and depends on tips to support themselves. Clearly they have an incentive to just make money and a desire to serve those customers who they think will tip them well. They aren't refusing to serve them, they just won't put forth their best effort.

Now, that stereotype that blacks don't tip well benefits one person and hurts the other. It benefits the person who adopts of strategy of putting their energy into the customers they can get the biggest tip out of. The end benefit is they may make more money. But who gets hurt. It's the black person who would have tipped well but now gets crappy service.

How can this be changed? It can't. It's just one of those things. Boo hoo, some people don't get the best service in restaurants....the massive injustice! What a horrible slight. Guess what, you can't eliminate all forms of discrimination.

No one is being denied service, there's no policy against a group here. No one is being denied a job, or the ability to adopt or marry. No one is getting a speeding ticket for their race.

I think this is much ado about nothing.

7. Lil Pun

What situation?

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dumb white person: "Hey, just because you have only been allowed to eat in our restaurants for 40-50 years doesn't mean you have to be so sensitive!!!!!!!"

Seriously, people, look around you and anyone you see over 55 (of any race) probably has memories of blacks not being allowed in many restaurants...especially the sit down and tip types. That is a lot of residual memory perpetuating this. Try to understand and be decent to people.

9. Lil Pun

People are being denied the same service as others. Remember segregation? Yeah, black people weren't denied education, seats on the bus, drinking water, or places to dine they just had to use lesser facilities. Same here, you're right nobody is being denied anything they are just receiving less than fair treatment and it's not right.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nice..

11. Major

Major Member

Ah yes... the non-discriminated against tells the discriminated against "just deal with it".

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Why don't you answer my question?

There are two identical restaurants, except for one has a black clientele. A black man chooses to work the other one because he will make more money on tips. Is that racist?

This is no moral crusade. It's people of all races trying to make a buck waiting tables. If their experience is that a certain group of people do not offer as good as another to put money in their pocket, they will be less enthusiastic about trying to do so. It doesn't make them racist.

Read the article I posted about the girl who wanted to fight the stereotype. It gets hard when you keep getting shafted for it. You would rather someone else take those tables and you keep the one that have a better chance of making money. It's a understandable and reasonable reaction.

Waiters are not enthusiastic about teenagers, church groups and old people too. They don't tip as well. This is just the way it is. It is just about the money. Nothing more.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Never underestimate the heart of New Yorker. He will pretend to be a member of any race to make his point.

14. Lil Pun

LOL! :D Yes but the fact remains, you are discriminating based on race. Not that hard. If you say I am not going to try to work at that restaurant because black people are the main people that eat there then that is discriminatory. No way around it.

15. hotballa

so a poor person should not deserve to be treated equally as a rich person. Doesn't this kind of undermine the whole democracy thing?

16. Fatty FatBastard

Why does anyone even argue about race???? We all need to unite against the true enemy.. WOMEN!

I want the "rule of thumb" law put back into place, and I want them relegated back to pieces of property.

Who's with me?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good point, but has it been determined that the gentleman in the resteraunt were actually discriminated against?

Because to me it looks circumstancial more than discriminatory....

DD

18. what

what Member

Another Slant:

The real problem SIR Charles FAN had with this guy at the restaurant wasn't that he accused the restaurant of racist practices, but the very fact that this man, BEING BLACK, gave him the power to do so in the first place. White people are uncomfortable with a black person having this much power and so SIR CHARLES decides to present his air tight case to the board to validate how stupid or unintelligent some people can be.

Sir Charles Fan cannot take away the guys right to be a victim by simply appealing to the better logic of people, anymore than he can change the way some people view all white people as Klan members in disguise. If you don't like that label SIR Charles, go appeal to your ancestors.

Now I could get really deep and explain to you why this is the way it is, but I doubt you would understand anyway.

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Look. It's all fake anyway. The only reason the waiter is being nice to you is because he wants your money. They will put up with all kinds of crap just because of it. They will smile to your face and cuss you out back in the kitchen. None of it is real. The waiters at Chompers aren't really that excited about the Jalapeno Zappers. The waitress at Hooters didn't really find your humorous anecdote to be funny. It's all BS. They are money chasers. The Pentecostals are right, they are prostitutes. They want the best customers who give them the best money. That's it.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GY8o-qAb08"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GY8o-qAb08" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

And speaking of prostitutes.... do black people, old people, and church groups tend not to tip prostitutes well, either?