1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Racism] African Americans in Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you're black, no one at work, school or in a fancy restaurant will ever view you as normal, you'll always stand out. It's up to you whether you standout in a good way or a bad way. Dress well, be friendly (always smile), tip better, start every complaint with an apology and/or go to a place often enough to get a rapport with the waitstaff. All the potentially good service withheld from cheap, unpleasant blacks will be heaped upon you tenfold.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So black are generally viewed as second-class citizens all the time and we must make improvements to ourselves so the race can be viewed better?

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yup. We're the minority, and all the black countries suck, so that's the game plan.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And the alternative being?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sounds like the guy got poor service, and should have taken the manager up on their offer of serving them.

Sometimes circumstances happen and it has nothing to do with race at all.

DD

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Why not just treat me equally regardless and not judge a book by its cover?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If the servers are really racist, then I would hesitate to eat the food.

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Basically, yes.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

they'll just find something else to complain about.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are you Amos or Andy?
    basically you saying that black folx should bow and scrape?
    . . . put on a show and dance for the man

Rocket River
    Yezzum boss

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Reading through some of these posts made me remember an experience my mom related to me when I was younger. She said she went to Chicago in the 1970s to visit some family and went into a Burger King in Chicago. All of the employees in that Burger King were black. She said when she and her sister went in and tried to order food that all of the workers just sat there and stared at them -- never said a word to them. Weren't overtly rude, just basically didn't acknowledge their existence. I can't imagine that ever happening in 2000 to a person of any color (well, maybe in some really backwoods location). I think it shows you how far both races have come in their relationship to each other in a relatively short period of time -- to be positive about something.

In other exciting news -- I was named employee of the month today, rofl iron.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Seems like a pretty crappy answer, so if you're black, you're only answer is to act white or act like the predominant majority to "fit in." Combat racism by acting different. Maybe in practical terms you're ok with that, but it's a sad indictment of our society when that is the answer to how minorities should deal with stigmatization and racism.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How do you make people do that?

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

ship black people back to Africa, obviously

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Perceived stigmatization and racism; didn't hear anyone overtly say they didn't want to wait on black guys, and I don't know that this black waiter has never waited on other blacks before. If they're treating me differently because of my manners, that's not racism. Explain to me again how this:

..is acting white.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No that's just being proper and polite. I don't think that's white or black. But maybe I just misinterpreted you, but it seemed like the underlying sentiment was act like the majority to be accepted like the majority which seems kind of silly. maybe I'm wrong in that interpretaiton.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess it's the least I can do for the education, friendship and gainful employment that I've gotten mostly from whites (65-70% of the population, remember?) my entire life.

Manners + pleasant demeanor = "Bowing and scraping?" Have you ever been to a corporate job interview, rented an apartment, or applied for a bank loan in person?

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

singling out an individual...and attributing characteristics to him because he belongs to a certain race, for whatever reason...and then acting on those assumptions about that individual...is the very heart of discrimination.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Acting like what happned didn't happen they being kissing the man *ss to get what other people get without kiss *ss . . yes. .that it Bowing and Scraping

why is it. . . that everyone else can get served with out . . all the extra
    but when you a minority . .the extra *has* to happen to get decent [not good] service

QUESTION: Which came 1st .. . Poor tips or Poor Treament
    Considering Poor Treat has been going on for over 400 yrs. . .I wonder which came 1st

You treat me poorly . . . so I tip Poorly
    so
    Because I tip poorly. . . .you treat me poorly

through out the history of this country . .. the RESPONSIBILITY to be the BETTER person . . and GO ABOVE AND BEYOND to break cycles has been placed on the minority.
    Rather
    than Have people Treat you good and EARN the tips you want
    the Ideal solution .. .it seems in the opinion of the great and powerful Pouhe
    is to Tip OVERLY WELL for Poor Service so that in time. . the man might allow us
    to have a Decent meal with decent service . . . .
    That
    Is Bowing and Scraping.

I recall you are 1st gen . . .am I correct?

Rocket River

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

What's the most you would be willing to do...for the whites ?