1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Racism] African Americans in Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

it happens to white people too, jason williams is "white chocolate", eminem is often called black for the way he acts, even colin powell is sometimes called black.

saying certain characteristics identify your race is no less racist than saying that your race identifies your characteristics.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is stupid.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't...because i'm white.

seriously, i think the food at sonic bites. when i go to sonic, i'm ordering a cherry-limeade and a slush for my son. i don't even THINK about tipping on that. it doesn't even cross my mind. because i'm white.

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Why? People can treat people however they like based on whatever reasons they want to. There's no law saying you have to be really nice to everyone.

There's no law that says you have to smile, or be attentive and respectful to everyone equally.

If you don't like the service, eat somewhere else next time. Or complain about the service to the owner and get something free and make the waiter look bad for being a lousy server. But don't be a pansy and play the race card. That's weak and only makes you look like you have a chip on your shoulder...which is probably true of anyone who jumps to conclusions.

As for a waiter giving someone crappy service because of race...which probably happens a lot. You can't stop them from doing it. You can only show them that they are wrong.

If I've been given crappy service. I'll leave a 10% tip and write a note on the check, "I love to tip 25% for great service"

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

OK, then this can apply to the tippers in the case that they can treat the waiters however they want. Look, there are no laws stating this but be realistic. Do you think restaurants want their waiters treating the customers like crap? Do you think they would not be reprimanded? It may not be written law but it is expected from both the employer and the customer. I'm not saying that all negative waiter service and reactions are racist I am saying that those based on race, gender, age, etc. or any aspect a person cannot help are all wrong.

#325 Lil Pun, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  6. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

Well said. The ones who play the race card by lying about his own race are real pansies. You can see one in your mirror, NewYorker.

7. NewYorker

If I was an owner and I knew my customers got worse service because of how they tipped, then I'd be furious with my staff. But I wouldn't think much of customers who stiffed my staff either.

I think customers can be rude if they choose. That's fine. If they want to be a-holes, fine. But then they will certainly get pretty bad service.

The point is, it's up to the establishment. Not the gov't - to control how customers are treated.

At the end of the day, the law can only require two things. That everyone gets served, and that everyone has to pay for thier meal. My point is that the law can not stop someone from treating someone better or worse based on their race. Because it's nearly impossible to prove the connection. The only thing you can do is not patron that establishment or complain to the owner...and if the owner sees a pattern of racism in a waiters service, he should dismiss them for his or her own interest.

8. Lil Pun

OK, I agree with most of this except the part about the government. I never thought that they should be brought in on the matter and I don't recall anybody else doing this either. If I happened to, then I apologize.

9. NewYorker

No, i just thought that was the implication. So no need to apologize.

10. WWR

WWR Member

Give me a break............

I was in TGF the other day needing a haircut.

I have been waiting there for a good amount of time....

Black guy walks in (two black hair cutters on duty at this time), takes a seat, and you wouldn't guess it.....he was up next. I walked out. Even white people get discriminated against!! :D

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read the first page and thats it.

but look im white, im also about as un-racist as you can get. i have had serious relationships with every race (except an indian girl) have great friends in every race. have gotten into a few fights before because someone was calling a friend of mine a ****** or calling asian friends of mine chinks and making fun of the way they talked. and in trying to help those friends of mine while they were getting ganged up on or jumped. i have gotten my butt severely beat down.

friends or family of mine know wether they may be black,white,young, or old know they will probably get called out if they say something racist and they are not joking about it. its just the way i am.

and in saying that i have worked in probably about 15 eating joints in my life. all the way from upscale places to places where you can walk out with a check for two at lunch for $15 or less.

but when i see a table of black people come in and sit in my section. or if i see my section full of black people its probably not going to be a good outcome money wise for myself.

i still give them the same service i give everyone else. but im not going to lie and say that inside im a little pissed off that im probably not going to get that great of a tip. but thats just simply the way it is. and as far as i can tell there is nothing wrong of me for thinking that.

12. Lil Pun

My friend has told me he can tell more about a tip from the food and drinks people order more than their race can.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

your friend is a liar.

he's from the ukraine, i presume?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yah thats usually a precursor of sorts. but you can get even more pissed if someone orders nice things is polite for the most part and then doesnt tip at all or juat 10%

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You know what is really funny?

I bartended for about 9 years, and even though people are whining about whether or not African Americans tip they were not even close to the worst tippers.

Those Europeans NEVER tip.........over there they all get hourly wages, and tipping is not customary, so whenever I had some Euros over.....I tried to get them in and out as quickly as possible so I could get some real tippers in there.

:D

DD