1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial double standard in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 20, 2016.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Do we have verifiable facts about what Lochte actually did and what actually happened here? Or is it just the usual unsubstantiated speculation by a bunch of "experts" that almost nobody has ever heard of before, rustled up at the last second by the likes of CNN and the rest of the tabloid media?

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

We have Gunnar Bentz' account of what happened. Not sure why he would want to lie about it at this point.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/c-swim/spec-rel/081916aac.html

This also seems to fit most of what we saw in the video although not everything because the video is limited.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People first came to Lochte's defense when Brasil called fouled. It wasn't until the video was released that he was ridiculed. Many people, including coworkers defended him and assumed Brasil was to blame. He got the benefit of the doubt.

Gabby didn't get the benefit of the doubt from many. I am not saying "majority" here - I am saying on a scale of 1 to 100, she gets a lower score in the character department for her skin color. This should not be a surprise - it's part of inherent bias and the majority of people (black and white) are biased against blacks. This is a cultural thing that stems from a very young age.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DYCz1ppTjiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am saying that we see this played out in media and even on this BBS. We have heard many people here call Howard, Harden, McGrady - all "lazy" and their character criticized. While guys like Scola, Dmo, Battier get praised for their character.

Of course it's not absolute. You could point to Chuck Hayes as a hard worker - I am talking tendencies though, not absolutely, and it's subtle for sure.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The Gabby stuff is just stupid teens and wannabe teens on social media. That crap is just terrible.

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Sweet Lou probably blames every problem in his life on white people

1 person likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I put a ? at the end of the title. By no means am I saying I am 100% sure there is a racial double standard, but there is some evidence for it and I think it's worth of discussion.

Why is it a discussion of racial bias has to be interpreted as some sort of repressed anger towards whites - I don't understand. Seems like this is an issue you feel uncomfortable having an honest discussion about.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I didn't call Gabby "unpatriotic" so not sure why you think I am biased. I have no negative opinion about Gabby, neither does 95% of America. 95% of America is talking about Lochte and what a complete loser he is. A couple fringe crazy people on twitter took the Gabby thing and ran with it, while Ryan Lochte is a universally hated douchebag.

The Ryan Lochte thing is a huge story that everyone is talking about, no one is talking about the Gabby Douglas thing because there is literally nothing to talk about. I think you are definitely grasping at straws here

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, gleaming fossilized dip**** Bill Plaschke from the LA Times wrote a whole column on how she aint 'Murican enough and telling her to know her role, helping to prolong the "debate" - if you can call random ****birds anonymously dropping 144 character hot takes a debate..

You can read it here, if you care to. But really you shouldnt because its ****.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-national-anthem-plaschke-20160810-snap-story.html

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's Bll Plaschke. Nobody really takes him seriously. He's always one of the jokes on Around the Horn.

10. Granville

Granville Member

[​IMG]

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I understand this, better than most. But the talk about Gabby's "edges" isn't a racist idea, as in the context of this thread. It's actually more of an identity crisis on display by those that felt the need to dish out the ridicule.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

My only knowledge of both events is from this thread. Wasn't Gabby's thing something to do with the national anthem while Lochte's was drunk douchbaggery at a gas station? Wouldn't the circumstances dictate the discussion of patriotism in one situation but not the other? Did Lochte do something to an American flag at the gas station? :confused:

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I agree with SL42. There is a racial double standard in society