1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

R.Lords Idea of a 30 for 30 about Phi Slamma Jamma

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaggylambda, Feb 19, 2011.

1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Please move this to the College forum if this does not suit the garm.

Rich Lord was discussing a 30 for 30 episode covering the UH cougs during the Phi Slamma Jamma days. I acually think this would be totally awsome. There are so many interesting storylines involved:

-Akeem (before he was Hakeem) coming over from Nigeria to Houston.
    -Home town talents in Clyde the Glyde and Micheal Young.
    -Drama and partying with Ben Anders.
    -Legendary coach (who should be in the Hall of Fame but is being robbed) in Guy V. Lewis.

The premise would be of a particular interest nation wide. R.Lord was thinking of a way to bring a spotlight to G.V Lewis to push him into the HOF and purposed this idea to the General. I would love to see something like this come to fruition.

2. nwcougar1

nwcougar1 Member

One of the most exciting teams to ever set foot on a basketball floor. Yes, I would love to see something about Phi Slamma Jamma.

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

The guy that did the 30 for 30 about SMU "The Pony Express" was actually a film student at SMU. All the 30 for 30's I've seen have been well made.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would like to see them cover the Coogs basketball program from Elvin Hayes to Akeem the Dream. And yes Guy V. Lewis should be in the HOF.

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I suggest Rocktet2k and Clutch get together on this and make it happen. All I want is my name in the credits stating that I stole this idea from Rich.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Houston-Louisville game was one of the most exciting college games ever, probably second only to the Game of the Century UH-UCLA in Astrodome game.

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This would be an awesome story.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Rich Lord's first good idea?

#9 Hippieloser, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I have a hard time listening that that show. Its just bad. It just goes to show how good charlie palilo is when he can make the drive home show exponentially better all by himself.

During 790 commercials i tend to switch over to see if anything good is on and I head something about this. I wasnt alive when it happened but I would love to see a story done about it.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dont want to see it or be reminded of it ..... Im still haunted by that damn game.

12. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd love to see a 30 for 30 about PSJ, but I'd have to turn it off when it got to that $!%@ thing... I was in college, was watching it with my suitemates, and started to get a bad feeling with about 5 minutes left. When the thing ended, I just stood up and wandered out of the room in a daze, with my friends calling after me... walked around in the dark like a zombie for about 2 hours before I could deal with talking to anyone... it was a real Houston sports rite of passage. Nothing else has hurt as much, sports-wise, since... although there have been so many other heartbreaking moments... nothing else compares...

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

It should also have other Houston sports-curse moments, like the UH vs. Notre Dame Cotton Bowl, Oilers' moments, Astros/Mets, etc. Then end it with PSJ bringing the city back-to-back championships.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mMD4R2Zbg-Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mMD4R2Zbg-Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Michael Young's son will be playing for UH next season, I think.

14. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Ending with the Olajuwon/Drexler embrace after game four...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EeDe810yZls?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=435"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EeDe810yZls?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=435" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One thing thats real close ..... Buffalo. 35-3.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Epic game. Here's a good article on it for those who have never seen it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=jamfest83

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What was so exciting about Guy V having the team pull the plug on the offense when they were well ahead so as not to embarrass ..... Bet he would play it different now.

18. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I would LOVE this. Does anyone know if they are gonna do another season of 30 for 30? They could totally make 30 more and turn it into a cash cow.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow. I'm a BYU student and I just found out Dave Rose is from Houston and played for Phi Slamma Jamma. I only knew the starters, since I was so young.

20. shsu33

shsu33 Member

30 for 30 has really been a let down to me, they have done nothing for Houston. Phi Slamma Jamma, JR Richard, Ralph Sampson, Rudy and Kermit(the punch), Gordie Howe and sons winning titles together with Aeros and the most disrespected back to back champs ever in the Rockets winning while MJ quit. How about the story of the hurricane Ike Astros that were forced to leave their families with no power and play a home baseball game in Milwakee against the Chicago Cubs, thanks Selig! Thats 7 Houston stories that would have been better than alot of the 30 for 30's I've seen so far.
    Phi Slamma Jamma could be combined with the Rox championships since Hakeem got his revenge on Ewing first then Clyde came in and help heel the NC State wound. JR Richard's story needs to be told for a whole 2-3 generations of kids that prolly never heard of him. "The Punch" I've always hoped would turn into a made for TV movie over doc, show both sides and how their lives changed dramatically. Sampson may never happen along with the Howe's. All these would be great but the best to me wold be explaining how the Rox back to back champions were a fluke.
    If they ever did the Ike'stros debacle, Selig would prolly be forced out soon after. Bud Mubarak!