1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[R.I.P.] Clifford Antone 1950-2006

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Turbo, May 23, 2006.

1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Heard the news earlier today that a former teacher and friend, Clifford Antone, had passed away. For those who aren't familiar with Mr. Antone's contributions to the preservation of music history and to Austin's society, I would suggest doing a quick search on him to get a brief idea of who he was.

I was fortunate enough to have spent a year studying the history of blues music in America and Texas while I was a senior at U.T. and it was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences to just sit back and listen to some of his stories.

As with so many, he was taken too soon and will be terribly missed. I just hope that his extreme efforts will be preserved.

Rest in peace Uncle Cliffy . . .

-Turbo

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Rest In Peace Mr. Antone

Here's an interesting tidbit I found on Uncle Cliffy

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is terrible news. No one did more for Blues music in Austin.

RIP

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or for the ganja crowd.

;)

Actually, he was a really nice guy, I met him a few times, and I hope his family is going ok.

RIP.

DD

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw Cliff at New Years. I didn't really know him. Just bumped into him from time to time, and was one of many, many familiar faces at Antone's over the years. Damn. It's a blow to the Austin music scene, and the blues. :(

He was a great man. Flawed, but who isn't? Rest in peace.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I used to hang at his record store across the street from the original Antones. I'd go in there most nights and he was always great to me. He fed me sodas, talked about music and introduced me to legend after legend. Really great guy who was a blues music icon.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I met him a long long time ago, in 1980, when I lived in Austin while going to UT.

The old version of his club was my home away from home, as was the record store.

He did a hell of alot for the blues, in Austin and throughout the state.

R.I.P., Mister A.

:(

8. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

he was a nice guy. although our tastes in music differed greatly, i respect everything he did for the music community in austin. he's a much greater austin legend than that SRV guy...he'll be missed.

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I met Cliffford Antone in 1976. I was a student at UT. I am from Port Neches, and his parents operated a liquor store in Port Neches until the mid '70's. They were really nice people. I recall his sister being cute. I had heard that people from Beaumont and Port Arthur went to Antone's.

I asked about him and was directed to a table. I went and said hello and he was real nice and seemed glad to talk to someone from home. Later that month Boz Scaggs was thrown out of Antones for trying to talk to Bobby Blue Bland. A reporter friend of mine told me that Mr. Scaggs filed a complaint and in the process a long term riff developed between Austin PD and Antone's.

I recall hearing that the government's case against Antone was weak in later charges- hints of illegal wire taps.

I do not care about that. The man was nice to me and he paid for Muddy Water's burial - funeral. I heard he paid for other's too.

I don't drink anymore, but will pour a glass and pour it out for him.

Rest in Peace Clifford Antone. I will be listening to Roy Buchanan tonite in your memory.