1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

r****d

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by emjohn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Noobs. :eek: Try it one of these days...

1. Click the [ "+ ] thingie for the first comment onto which you want to reply.
    2. Click the [ "+ ] thingie for the SECOND comment onto which you want to reply.
    3. So on, so forth...
    4. Click either "reply" on top of the thread, or any of all the 'reply' images/links on any post or at the bottom of the thread.

Your REPLY TO THREAD comment box will have all those posts onto which you want to reply, allowing you to move about to respond to each. You can even MULTI-reply from different threads. The BBS will remember ALL the ""+ times you've clicked, and will ask if in the next reply, if empty, you would like to include those you've clicked. Simply say NO. It will remember as long as you don't clear them.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/r****ded
    "OFTEN OFFENSIVE" is in the definition. :cool: Learn how to use it.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You just proved our point. You got offended by a correct term that is used as an identifier. It's not our fault you get defensive at nonoffensive identifiers, so don't try to be preachy to the rest of us who don't agree with your sentiments.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Very cool. Thanks.
    But I have to still manually reply to different lines inside the same post, right?

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yeppers. You have to either use your keyboard to TAB into the comment box and then down arrow to start typing after the "[/quote]".

The "+ thingie function doesn't know where you want the cursor initially. Although, now that you mention it, that would be a cool way to start off. I'm wondering why the cursor isn't there to begin with. Good point. :cool:

ALSO, the "+ will change to "- with white quotes and remain RED letting you know you've clicked it to include in MULTI-QUOTE until you use it. Otherwise, it's white (normal, unselected).

It also remembers the order in which you clicked multiple quotes.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's not our fault that you don't want to treat people with respect and complying with their wishes that the word not be used, so don't try to be preachy at us who don't want to offend these people by saying or hearing that word spoken in that manner.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

When I was in elementary, I used to see everyone as brown. Some are darker brown and others lighter. It wasn't until late elementary (4-5th) grade that society taught me to identify people with color. Strange though, of all the colors, I think Asians have the most offensive color. I can call people black, white, brown, etc., but when you get to Asians, it gets offensive.

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Can't speak for the mentally challenged or their caretakers, but if I'm still getting called a chinaman or gook, I wouldn't put too much hope in getting the word eradicated any time soon.

Best way is to not let the word affect you and people will have to come up with something more clever to say.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

OP, for whatever it's worth, I'll try not to use the word.

I mean really, there are a whole bunch of other words out there, like "dumbass" or "dipsh_t".

1 person likes this.
  9. iamthejustness

Why not utilize emjohn's method of delivery? He raised awareness about a position he feels strongly about while understanding that many may strongly disagree but allowing others the free will to choose as they wish on said subject. By doing so, he received many emotionally charged responses but also, validation by a few who also wish to impart change.

Towards the end of the thread, I didn't see multiple posts by emjohn attempting to validate his stance upon every retort, which in turn, "refuels the fire", of those strongly opposed to it. Commodore had an excellent quote alluding to this.

10. Granville

Granville Member

Actually no I didn't. There is no situation where a decent human being would refer to someone as the r****ded boy. The doctor may have said the Patient with mental r****dation followed by that mental condition was applicable in treating the patient.

11. Granville

Granville Member

Why not mind your own business homie? I am an advocate for those people trapped inside their own body. I spend a lot of my time helping others for free and over the years this subject comes up. Those words hurt families as well as the stares from people just like the ones making stupid and insensitive comments here. Take your enlightened ass down to the Special Olympics and start referring to kids there as the r****ded boy. If you don't feel like the biggest piece of **** after doing so, then you sir have no soul.

I thank EMJohn and the other posters who are kind enough to support these kids and their caretakers because it serves as a reminder that there are people who care about them and the world isn't totally filled with people who can't refrain from using hurtful terms just because they don't want to.

12. Granville

Granville Member

I gave you an example of a situation where an African American wouldn't want to be called black. I never implied that it would be cool in that situation to call him anything other than the patient in room six. Now if there was a medical reason to describe his ethnicity and I can't think of one, African American would be the appropriate term followed by the explanation for the medical need to refer to him in that matter. Try thinking s little deeper before you reply next time.

13. Granville

Granville Member

God bless you and thank you.

14. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Lol this thread should be moved to DD

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this thread should be moved to the toilet and flushed.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Really? Because someone is simply asking that others refrain from using a derogatory term that is demeaning and hurtful to members of their family?

Because someone made a thread to raise awareness so that those who may not realize or don't think it is a derogatory term might give a second thought to why?

I'm one of the more cynical people around and have a pretty dark sense of humor that can find laughs in taboo subjects but there is a time and a place for everything. If you disagree with the OP, don't respond to the thread. There may be others who are open to the idea and willing to change.

1 person likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

It's fascinating that people seem to be more interested in their right to offend people than having the basic common courtesy to not want to offend people - or even in wanting to know that they might be offending people.

1 person likes this.
  18. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

this thread is
    sofa king
    we, Todd did

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's the thing. I'm not telling people what they can or can't say, and I'm not impinging on your freedoms. You are. I'm only offering my opinion on the matter.

African American is not the proper term. There is nothing wrong with identifying a person by a trait. It's only in America where people get their feelings hurt. You can go internationally and they will identify someone by calling them "that fat person over there" and there is no problem with that.

I find that offensive that you disagree with me. Everything you do is offensive to me. Therefore, it would be courteous if you do nothing. Nothing at all.

Do you see where that leads us? Somewhere, someone will be offended by something you do. Does that mean you are wrong? No. Then who decides? That's why we discuss these things.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The word is not exclusive to the mentally handicapped. Something can be r****ded and have nothing to do with a human, so I will continue to use it when it makes sense