1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Quora] Clyde was better than Kobe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Jul 24, 2022.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I definitely think he was fairly underrated. Not sure if better than Kobe though.

Patience and CCity Zero like this.
  3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Clyde is underappreciated this day and age No Doubt however I'm a Cougar and a Kobe hater trust me Kobe was way better than Clyde.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No chance Clyde was better than Kobe

He may be underrated as a player now because he has exposed himself as a bumbling idiot on tv for so many years, it has probably skewed some of our opinions of him on the court

5. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Great player. Horrible analysts. Very Underrated.

6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

He’s underrated but Kobe was significantly better

Patience likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

both had crazy supporting cast. kirby had shack and drax had dream. basically, hardon was better.

eliefor3 likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston fans gonna remember Houston Clyde. For like half his career in Portland, Clyde couldn't shoot a jumper to save his life.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe was like jeter but better.

Jontro likes this.
  11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The 1995 Championship Run was probably the Best Run ever, a 6th Seed Clyde Carried that Team, Clyde Drexler was a One Man Fast Break. Coming off a Flu, Clyde lost so much weight and still playing so Hard. It is the Greatest Performance for Half a Season after being Traded for a Basketball Player. Nobody gave Houston a Chance, Never Underestimate a Heart of a Champion. That is Clyde Drexler.

vince likes this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No. But all these kids putting Kobe as GOAT are insane.

jiggyfly, FrontRunner and Patience like this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

It's hard for them to understand history when they are so young and didn't watch game after game of 80's and 90's ball and then are bombarded by Kobe's Cult in the west coast media.

TimDuncanDonaut, BigM and plutoblue11 like this.
  14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Clyde may have been a legitimate threat for top 10/15 threat, if he had more consistent mid-range.

I don’t think he’s in the same stratosphere as Kobe, but the gap between them is not as large as people think. Giving Drexler never played with any other all-time great talents in his career until his twilight years. He’s pretty comparable to Kobe in advanced metrics.

Like, the article pointed out, the real advantage Kobe had over Drexler is scoring and rings. Though, winning wise, during the regular season, Drexler may have been a better winner and he played far less games than Kobe.

I don’t believe that’s by accident. I’ll go out on a limb and say Drexler was a far better teammate. It’s similar when Kobe compared to say Harden. A guy can be a tiger…killer…assassin, but if he cannot function in a team environment as well. It’s a moot point. Not saying Kobe couldn’t do this, because he could. Though, he came from an era where a lot of top scoring wings were pretty one-dimensional scorers. Where Kobe was pretty much more talented than all of them.

You had players, like Hill, Penny, T-Mac, and VC who started to really break that trend, but I feel like Drexler was the one who set a tone with that for shooting guards. High volume scorer who was also an elite passer for his position.

Drexler was far more willing to pass and trust his teammates. I know a lot of players, media personnel, and fans overlook the aspect, horrendously. I felt like he could get a little more out of mediocre team Kobe. It’s weird how older heads bash certain players for being selfish, but turnaround and criticize a guy who actually passes and doesn’t take too many bad shots.

pgabriel, TimDuncanDonaut and Easy like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I love Clyde but Kobe was better. I think Clyde Drexler and Isiah Thomas are two of the most underrated players ever, but Kobe was just a hair better.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Drex would beat Kobe like a baby seal.

jiggyfly, txppratt, juanm34 and 2 others like this.
  17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Kobe obviously had the better career, but they are very different players, so it’s hard to compare. In terms of playing style, I feel like Clyde was more similar to LeBron than Kobe.

He was great because of his versatility, scoring, rebounding, passing. He was a one man fast break and had great size, strength, and athleticism for his position. Kobe was a superior shooter and volume scorer. Clyde wasn’t a dominant scorer in the same way as Kobe, but his all-around game may have been a bit better.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Pics?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clyde's in the top five shooting guards of all time. MJ's obviously 1. Kobe is 2 or 3.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  20. Rokman

Rokman Member

LMAO!!

And he'd beat him til he was tender like Kobe beef.

KingCheetah likes this.