1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quite possibly my only WNBA post ever...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by A-Train, Sep 3, 2002.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Is the New York Liberty the official Buffalo Bills of the WNBA now?

2. Old School

Old School Member

Isn't it strange that both the NBA and WNBA have a weak eastern conference?

os

3. haven

haven Member

Since the organizations are generally owned by the same people, makes you wonder if Jerry Krause was right...

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..and don't forget the NHL, too!

maybe like all the other people in the country, everyone is moving south and west???? the most talented players certainly have some choices in teams they choose to play for. that probably wouldn't explain the WNBA situation, though, where player movement is pretty light.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Having said that, how did the Comets beat the Phoenix Mercury in the WNBA finals a few years ago...

Why is the sky blue?
    If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make a sound?
    Has anybody ever been convicted of tearing the tag off a mattress, and what crime did they tell their cellmate they REALLY committed when they got to jail...

These questions, and many more, will be answered in tomorrow's episode of <i>As the BBS Turns</i>

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

weren't the comets in the east for a while??? are they still??

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Rockets first divisional title came in the mid 70s (can't remember the exact year - think it was 76-77 season) with Tom Nissalke as coach and they were in the Central Division of the Eastern Conference.

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

They started out as an Eastern Conference team but since there were so few teams, the four best, regardless of division, were grouped in the same bracket the first season(hence a New York vs. Houston championship).

I think that the Comets stayed in the East until the third season... Not sure though.

9. Timing

Timing Member

I think the balance of power has everything to do with the year of the ABL draft. A lot of Western Conference teams had poor seasons prior to that draft and got all of the top ABL players, Yo Griffith, DeLisha Milton, Nat Williams. The Western teams that didn't get the top players then started getting pounded and got higher draft picks than teams in the East who were actually worse but had better records because of the weaker competition in the East.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

To answer the original question... YES. :)

I do feel sorry for them, they are my favorite team besides my home team (Sacramento). They have my favorite player, Sue Wicks, but she might be retiring soon.