1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quirks of Evolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KDavis, Jul 11, 2007.

1. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Found this interesting thought i would share.

http://www.decimation.com/markw/2007/07/09/what-evolution-left-behind-on-humans/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Evolution Left Behind On Humans
    July 9th, 2007 · 11 Comments

Evolution: I’ve always been fascinated with human evolution. To me, the most fascinating part of human evolution is learning about what was “left behind” on our bodies from our ancestors and from our prenatal development.

The list is actually much longer than one would think. Here is a list I’ve compiled from some simple Google research.

* Appendix
    o We all know about this one. You might even know someone who has had it removed. The appendix is a narrow, muscular tube attached to the large intestine. A common misconception is that this organ was used for digesting raw meat. It was actually used in our plant chewing days; it was the special area for digesting cellulose. Since our diets have changed, we no longer need this organ.
    * Paranasal Sinuses
    o For as far back as I can remember, my mother always had sinus problems. Sometimes so bad she’d have to lay down just to make the pain bearable. Ironically, the sinus cavity serves little to no purpose for a human. The only function they serve now for humans is making our heads lighter (weight wise), and adding warmth and moisture to the air we breath.In animals with an heightened sense of smell (like a dog or cat), the sinus cavities are lined with olfactory tissues. Some scientists believe that our ancestors had a much better sense of smell (our DNA contains broken genes for additional odor receptors) but for some reason we lost that ability.
    * Vomeronasal Organ
    o A tiny pit on each side of the septum is lined with non functioning chemo-receptors. They may be all that remains of a once extensive pheromone-detecting ability.Taken from Wikipedia:

Anatomical studies demonstrate that in the vomeronasal organ regresses during fetal development, as is the case with some other mammals, including apes, cetaceans, and some bats. There is no evidence of a neural connection between the organ and the brain in adult humans. Nevertheless, a small pit can be found in the nasal septum of some people, and some researchers have argued that this pit represents a functional vomeronasal organ. Thus, its possible presence in humans remains controversial.

* Coccyx (AKA: The Tail Bone)
    o The coccyx is a set of fused vertebrae at the bottom of the spinal column. This is another useless remain of our ancestral past. It’s all that’s left of our tails, which disappeared from hominids before they began walking upright. All it does now is cause a lot of pain if you fall on your butt.
    * Extrinsic Ear Muscles
    o These three muscles most likely made it possible for prehominids to move their ears independently of their heads (again, like a cat or dog). Again, we still have these muscles which is why most people can learn how to wiggle their ears.
    * Toes
    o Technically, humans don’t need any of our toes except our big toe (for balance). Our toes were used for grasping and climbing.
    * Neck Rib
    o This is a set of cervical ribs commonly thought to be left-overs from the age of reptiles. They still appear in less than 1% of humans. Unfortunately these can cause nerve and artery problems. Talk about bad luck.
    * Third Eyelid
    o Somewhere down the early evolutionary line we actually had a third eye lid, much like you see on a frog, for example. Humans retain a tiny fold in the inner corner of the eye.
    * Darwin’s Point
    o Take your finger and run it along the the inner edge of your ear. Near the top you’ll notice a small piece of skin that is almost like a point. If you can’t find it, don’t worry. Not all humans still carry this. They believe that this may be a remain of a larger shape that helped us focus on distant sounds.
    * Subclavius Muscle
    o There is a muscle stretching under our shoulder from the first rib to the collarbone. This would still be a useful muscle if humans walked on all fours. Not all humans have one. Some don’t have one, and a small few actually have two.
    * Palmaris Muscle
    o This muscle (if you have it, only 11% of humans do) is a long and narrow muscle that runs from the elbow to the wrist. They believe once it may have been an important muscle for hanging and climbing. If you ever need reconstructive surgery, this muscle might be taken for that. Thumbs up for free body parts, right?
    * Male Nipples
    o Lactiferous ducts (the lobes of the mammary gland at the tip of the nipple) form well before the the testosterone that causes a fetus to be a male occurs. Men have mammary tissue that can be simulated to produce milk.
    * Wisdom Teeth
    o If you’re reading this, you’ve probably had your wisdom teeth remove. I had all 4 of mine pulled when I was in high school. Despite what you think, these teeth weren’t totally useless. Since early humans had to chew a lot of plants to intake the amount of calories needed to survive, the more teeth the better.Another theory regarding wisdom teeth, that is more of an additional to the main theory (that we used them to chew on plants) is that they were replacement teeth that were lost from wear and tear.
    * Erector Pili (AKA: Goosebumps)
    o These are bundles of smooth muscle fibers that allow animals to puff up their fur to intimidate others (like a cat, for example) or for insulation. We still retain this ability even though we lost most of our fur.
    * Body Hair
    o Most of your body hair serves no function (though some think otherwise). Eyebrows keep sweat from going into your eyes, and male facial hair may play a role in sexual selection, but that really is it. Arm and leg hair are just the remains of a once fully covered body of hair.
    * Thirteenth Rib
    o While our closest cousins (chimps and gorillas) still retain this extra set of ribs. Most humans have 12 though 8% of the population have the extra ribs.
    * Male Uterus
    o The remains of the undeveloped female reproductive organ hangs off of the male prostate gland.
    * Female Vas Deferens
    o These are thought to become sperm ducts in males but they become epoophoron in females. It is a cluster of useless dead-end tubules near the ovaries.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean I CAN digest cellulose?! Hawt Dog.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Man was made in the image of the god, when did we ever have a tail! :eek:

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Interesting article and while a lot of evolution is amazing in the specificity of adaption it is also amazing in how inefficient a lot of it is. At the risks of turning this into an Evolution vs. Intelligent Design debate is that if there is an intelligent designer it is one that in many cases isn't all that great of a designer since there is so much superfluous things in the makeup of many organisms and also many adaptions that don't work that well. For instance why go through designing aquatic animals like whales and sea turtles that still have to breathe air.

One caution though about the article though is that I wouldn't immediately conclude that everything listed there is useless. Somethings like the sinus cavity still serve a purpose even though their use isn't maximized like it is in other animals. For instance our sinus cavities. While we don't have as great of a sense of smell as other animals a lot of that may be due to that we haven't trained our brains to take advantage of that sense. So just out of habit we don't take full advantage of the receptors in the sinus cavities people can be trained to improve their sense of smell and utilize tha more. Also as anyone who has a bad cold or sinus infection knows that if you have trouble smelling it has a huge impact on appetite since much of the experience of eating is tied to smell.

While body hair may not serve a protective function I've been hearing that it serves to help disperse pheremones and things like goose bumps while not able to keep us warm may still act as a form of communication.

5. Sishir Chang

With the help of microbes you can.

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Science has a liberal bias...

Those things were put there by God to test us...

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

alot of Computers still have Floppy Drives on them . . and most people using Jump Drives etc.

Upgrades happen

Rocket River

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

good analogy, evolution in humans is like the evolution in many human made products

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Anyone who denies evolution happens is just lying to themselves.

That said, where in the bible did it say God didn't use evolution to create man?

People really shouldn't fight about this.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'm fairly sure that everyone is wrong about everything.

11. Sishir Chang

Pretty crappy upgrades since some of these left over parts are still with us hundreds of millions of years later. For that matter if you are saying that its a matter of slow upgrades then that proves Evolution since you are saying that better models have been built off of older models reacting to adaption.

Anyway the last time I bought a computer with a floppy was 10 years ago. My laptop no longer has even a vestigial one while my body still has an appendix

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Maker is still involved with these upgrades
    The Maker of humanity is not .. . infact I soon suspect computer will be making computers and the designs and improvements will be quite different

Once created and allowed to make improvements by mixing and matching part from two machines . . picking the best of the two. . . and then some amalgams. . .things get very interesting.

Rocket River

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I need to upgrade to a really fast dual processor.

14. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The appendix is necessary during fetus development.

Edit: found link

#15 weslinder, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  16. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I'd never claim to know everything, even in a field I may specialize in. A few years down the road, I could very well be proven an idiot.

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[rquoter]
    Jocelyn Selim has made it her duty to resurrect the idea that humans are sloppily designed, which isn’t true. The Bible says we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

[/rquoter]

The Bible isn't some sort of definitive encyclopedia of facts to refute a statement. It simply isn't that. It's like arguing that Atlantis must exist because Plato refers to it. Plato's books are filled with vast amounts of wisdom, but they aren't a definitive guide to reality.

I guess some people feel safer if all knowledge is contained in an simple to read book? If you think you can quote a vague passage from the Bible to dispute facts of reality, you are simply a fool. I am genuinely dumbfounded that people are this stupid.

19. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

That's not why I quoted that article, but much of the info is sound, imo. Ignore the religious reference, if you wish.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry; I didn't mean to say anything about you or the article in general. I just came across this line and it genuinely left me discombobulated. Like watching a car wreck, whatever you were talking about or thinking about before it happened is thrown out of the window. Please read my comments out of context of the conversation.

BTW, I have a Palmaris Longus as well.