1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quick, Healthy, on-the-go breakfast?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What would yall recommend to have for breakfast on a weekday for someone who has no time to prepare anything in the morning (and pretty much no time in the evenings before)?

Preferably something I can take and eat at the office.

Backstory:
    Already in charge of cleaning, clothing, feeding, and taking the baby to daycare. Waking up earlier to cook myself something is not an option, because I can't wake up any earlier and because I would then have to clean whatever dishes I dirtied, lest they just pile up. My employer has a cafeteria where I could buy breakfast, but I really don't want to spend that money every day - or any day, really. (Daycare is absurdly expensive.)
    So is there some sort of drink or granola bar or anything that would be a good substitute for an actual, real breakfast? I realize there are 40 million products marketed as such but was hoping to get some actual suggestions from real people who know what works and what doesn't.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just get the Atkins breakfast drinks with coffee in them. I have no idea if they're healthy, but I imagine they're better for me than a kolache and monster from Donald's

1 person likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I boil or poach a number of eggs and take a couple to work. I will also cook up some other protein - sausage, beef patty, chicken - and bring that as well. I do all this at some convenient time during the week and put a day's portion in a baggie or tupperware.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pre-cut fruit (or you can just buy fruit and cut it on a chopping board without much mess), prewashed salad bags, I drink a Svelte shake sometimes when im in a real hurry, not really a meal but it helps and is delicious.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

My breakfast is pretty quick and easy. I put a half cup of old-fashioned oats, 3/4 cup of egg beaters, 1 cup of water and a scoop of chocolate protein powder (Dymatize Iso 100) in a large cup and then mix it using a hand blender. I might add a little more protein powder just to make it a little extra chocolaty. Takes all of 5 minutes to make and I chug it down and out the door. You could do the same in a thermas or something that you can put a lid on and take it to go. But it's a nice chocolate shake with everything I need to start the day.

The large bucket of protein is $75 at Nutrition Depot which is pricey but it lasts me a month. But they do have cheaper options.

6. the shark

the shark Member

Eat some fruit and just boil a bunch of eggs on Sunday night so you have enough for M-F (3-4 per day). Don't eat the yolk (just the egg white).

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A water, banana, and almonds. If there's extra time, I have an english muffin with a slice of cheese on it.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Make a bucket of mixed granola + flax or chia seeds + your favorite nuts + (optional) a bit of protein powder. Get some plastic cups.

Every morning, pour your mix into a cup, pour some milk or yoghurt on it, drink it while driving. I used to do this when I had no time to make anything in the morning.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Coffee with no sugar/cream.

1 person likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Google overnight oats.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

those are good.

I just eat fage yogurt with honey that i keep at my desk.

[​IMG]

if you have a frig, you can just buy the big one.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Instant Breakfast, ftw.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I scramble a bunch of eggs and mix them with black beans and some salsa every Sunday, then separate them into 5 containers. Pop one in the microwave every morning and eat while I'm getting myself and my boys ready.

1 person likes this.
  14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Maybe try Nutrisystem breakfast and snacks?

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Oatmeal & grapefruit with ground flaxseed.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wow, ton of great suggestions so far! Thanks CF.

I'll come back and read through these more thoughtfully when I have the time, but sounds like I can find a solution or two from what's been said already. Best case scenario is probably where I could make something for both my wife and I to just grab and go in the morning, so we're both eating right and frugally.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I grab a granola bar and a cup of coffee every morning

18. gambingo

gambingo Member

Peanut butter sandwich

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Pretty great idea, I need to get in the habit of prepping breakfast for the week.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Vanilla whey and Skim milk. Takes a total of 1 minute. 30s to shake and 30s to chug it down.

200 Calories - 32g protein.

I'm not a morning person. It takes me literally 20 mins from when I get up to leave the house. Then 1 hour later I have my eggs in the office with some whole grain toast which are prepared on Sundays.