1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Quick Advice] Cashier for a day...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Dec 8, 2013.

1. The Law

The Law Member

Although Eddie is being a douche about it, I must say I slightly agree with his general consensus on the topic...

Why must you seek advice on how to properly be a cashier, it just seems odd.

This is exactly why they created the "Self Check Out" line in most department/grocery stores, because they figured anyone who was able to tie their shoes (or strap the Velcro in your case) and found their way to said store should pretty much have the basics of "cashiering" down regardless of career, education level, socio-economic status.

2. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Lol. Damn. There must be previous history amongst some of you guys. Strapping Velcro, golden dildos, elephant c*m. Oh my.

3. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Nice try EddieWinslow's alternate account. :p

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised that not everyone has been a cashier at some point in their lives. Where did y'all work when you were 16-18? I was a cashier in one form or another from 16 to ~23.

It isn't hard. OP will figure it out soon if he hasn't already. Most newer registers are self explanatory when you look at them.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Worked at home depot and Lowes for a minute through school. Managers and department heads, lead, zone managers all cross trained at some point. Back up cashier was one of them, lots of procedure for handling money with special keys and all that. Roxfan came in for a little advice and **** got funny fast. Some people are super smart but have no common sense in here lol.

6. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Member

Remember always to smile and be friendly.

Don't be ashamed, it's better to be making 8 an hr being a cashier than selling yourself.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that is the j*zz of it.

9. lean

lean Member

Moving companies/warehouses and pizza delivery. Is cashier really that common of a job for young peoples? Maybe it is but when I was younger I tried my best to avoid it, I've heard some horror stories.

10. Bäumer

Bäumer Member

I worked in retail as a manager back in the day and was cross trained at the register. I would occasionally do back-up when the lines got long.

Actual advice here: take your time, work at the fastest pace you feel comfortable with. The process is pretty simple but you will make a mistake here and there. My issues came when it was a busy day like black Friday and the line was out the door and I would try and rush everything. Just take one customer at a time and be polite.

You will learn how to do 95% of the transactions in 10 minutes. The other 5% should also simple but it may depend on the complexity of the point-of-sale system.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

never ever comment on what a person is buying. It's none of your business. If you have a need to be chatty, talk about the cold weather or sports.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Worth repeating...

13. BMoney

BMoney Member

You seem like a pleasant person.

14. vvade

vvade Member

Does your daddies gas station have those gambling machines, eddie?

The guy made a thread to see if anyone had any tips and there have been some good ones. I don't see why some people have to be douche bags. I worked behind the counter from 15-18 and it could have been longer.

Sometimes employees call in sick, so it's good to have employees who can do other jobs.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

You're missing the history with eddie.

16. roxxfan

roxxfan Member

You don't even know me bro. And you obviously don't know Eddie.

17. roxxfan

roxxfan Member

This.

18. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Member

Shut your mouth and hurry ringing my iteams up!!

19. roxxfan

roxxfan Member

Grammar and spelling dude. I'm working with senior team leads my brother.

20. BmwM3

BmwM3 Member

*guy walks to the register with small size condoms*

Roxxfan: Did you know we ranked 42nd as a state in sizeeee?

Don't see anything wrong with that conversation.