1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions: Gustavo Barrera

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dexkk, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dexkk

dexkk Member

Gustavo Barrera
    Born: Apr 7, 1985
    Height: 6-5 / 1,96
    Weight: 180 lbs. / 81,6 kg.
    College:Uruguay

This kid's really got potential. He's not NBA ready but is there a way for us to have his rights while he further develops? He really intrigues me and is very efficient on the court.

2. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

i like his craftyness and hes a tall point gaurd, i hear he cant really shoot but when i was watching the game, his form look fairly decent

3. lastmanstanding

He shot well in the game even if his form looked awful from downtime. He could be a sleeper.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

He is a good playmaker. Actually, his pass reminds me of Manu.

I really hope he can make the roster. At least, he should be invited to play in preseason games.

5. seaweed

seaweed Member

I say give him a chance to practice with the team (real team). And if he is really as good as we saw today, sign him. Trade AB meanwhile.

6. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

He shoot was on cue but just short maybe he is not used to the NBA 3 point. But I wish it was someway to look his rights, maybe he can be the next calderon.

7. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

You will forgive my english.

Certainly, he was always a great project of point guard. He was formed in Badalona, Spain, along with Rudy Fernandez (same age). As senior, Panchi went to LEB league (spanish 2nd divison behind ACB -best in Europe-) for 2 years, he was then 19-20 years old. Playing as backup PG, he was cutted in Lugo because indiscipline. Lugo fans saw the situation as very unfair since the coach of the team was always yelling at young players, never the veterans. At a point of the season, Panchi could not endure the situation and missed some trainings... then, he was cutted. Last year he played in his country.

Since a very early age, he was recognized and followed by his extraordinary ability to pass, vision game and a special talent from the point guard position. Even though there were great hopes on him, his progress was stalled in his 2 years in LEB league, where he showed worrying irregularities in his outside shooting.

Strengths:

His great height (6-5) enables him to read the game and the passes very well at the PG position. He's very creative, has talent to create game and make plays, compare him with Sergio Rodriguez. Not bad defender, he's faster than it seems, and he's very tall, what helps him a lot. Maybe slower than a Deron Williams, but he will make use of his body and will become a more effective defender than a faster but smaller Brooks. He will contest the shots too, and rivals won't post him up.

Weaknesses:

Faster than firstly it seems, but maybe not enough to break NBA defenses, maybe for that reason he couldn't develope all his talent and creativity at passing. He's very inconsistent at perimetrer shooting, needs improve.

Overall:

A very possible steal at the "SL draft". We have a lot of PGs but nobody like him. Let's see whats trading Morey this next week, but I think he deserves at least an invitation for the training camp. One more thing: Phil Jackson would sign him, for sure, so possibly thats what we should do.

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Are the Spanish now genetically cloning their basketball players too?! And I thought only the United States and China were doing it! :D

9. seaweed

seaweed Member

'Lugo fans saw the situation as very unfair since the coach of the team was always yelling at young players, never the veterans.'
    Sounds like JVG.
    And Barrera in that situation looks just like v-span. So, here's the 2nd chance if anyone regrets about losing v-span.

10. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Spanoulis has been a great player in Europe as offense reference. He's not a pure PG, more and active playmaker... like 'T-Mac in Europe' :cool:

Panchi is a pure PG and he could survive as complement of the offense. He doesn't need protagonism to contribute.

11. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

offensive reference, better

12. Caco

Caco Member

Check out my posts about Panchi here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=150556&page=7&pp=20

DaronMalakian must have seen him more than I when he was 19-21, and I got to see him more from 22 until now (23).

I'm from his country (Uruguay) where he played last season after coming back from Spain.
    Last season he started slow, but he started coming into his own later, and led his team to the Uruguayan tournament finals mostly on his own (with help of an American named Grady Reynolds at PF). His team didn't really have a chance in the finals and they fell 3-0.

Recently he played in the South American tournament, as a starter for the national team. He played really well and is improving by the minute.

From what I could see, he came back to Uruguay with very little confidence, despite being the biggest talent from my country.
    He then reacted, and started showing the things that led him to Spain when he was 17.

He is gaining his confidence back, which I think is his biggest obstacle.

13. Dei

Dei Member

I'm always open to developing young prospects that will finally make Rafer expendable.

14. Caco

Caco Member

By the way, he already has a contract arranged to play for a team in Uruguay in case he can't make the Rockets roster.

However, I don't know what will happen if the Rockets want to have his rights and make him play elsewhere...

15. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

How does a team get the rights to a player that they didn't draft?

16. Caco

Caco Member

LOL, I have no idea about that... not really into NBA's contract rules.

17. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Gustavo Barrera played good today even the announcers on NBATV were talking highly of him.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

They can only have his rights if they sign him to a contract. I like this kid a lot. He has so many natural PG skills that you just can't teach. For all the VSPAN lovers this guy is a much better pg prospect.... But what concerns me is his D. His man beats him too easily. He can be pushed around too easily. Perhaps if he bulks up some that will change but IMO he'll get abused in the NBA. Needs to add strength

People compare him to Sergio Rodriguez and I think that's a fair comparison. He may even be a little better passer and he is bigger, albeit a little slower. But the reason why Sergio didn't get more play by the blazers was his D and Gustavo right now will have the same problem. The good thing is he looks like he has a frame that can be bulked up. He would benefit greatly from the NBDL. So there's dilemna, if the Rockets wait for him to be ready he may not be available. If they don't sign him this year someone else might. But they don't have room on the roster. So many things would have to happen for him to get a spot.

19. JD2010

JD2010 Member

I'm sorry man but I have to post some System of A Down lyrics everytime you post.

Eating seeds as a pastime activity
    The toxicity of our city, of our city
    Now, what do you own the world?
    How do you own disorder, disorder
    Now somewhere between the sacred silence
    Sacred silence and sleep

I should've made my name ChesterBennington

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If Mike Harris can get invited to preseason camp, so can Gustavo. Maybe after that minor trade, it will free up a roster spot for him.