1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions for SLINGBOX users

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Oct 6, 2007.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

How does this device work? I'm thinking about setting it up. I'm here in Houston and will be watching all the Rockets games, hes in Albuquerque, NM and wants to see all the Rockets games w/o getting NBALP. How does it work and what has to be done so he can view the games?

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Sorry, left out my FRIEND is the one in ABQ, Im here in HOU, he wants to watch the Rockets games via my Dishnetwork DVR.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Basically you connect it to your dvr and network modem. Download the Sling Player on his computer and input the finder ID. If he has cable internet, the stream will look better.

Anything you watch, he watches on the dvr it's connected to. He can even go through your list of recorded movies, so better get rid of the p*rn. JK

4. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

It re-broadcasts your cable connection to the internet. This does NOT affect what you're watching on TV, but it WILL kill your bandwidth (so you may want to consider upgrading). Your Slingbox will have its own ID and password. Only one person at a time can connect to it. Trying to log in and watch it while someone else is connected will kick them off.

I've never hooked it up to a DVR (I don't have one), so you'll have to go what the above poster said. Also, distance seems to affect picture quality; when we watched it from Houston, it looked perfect. But the quality wasn't QUITE as good when I was watching the Rockets from denTON. I suspect NM will be just SLIGHTLY worse than Denton's quality. But remember that your internet will be SLOW while it's active.

EDIT: Ooh... I didn't see that you have Dish Network. That might be a problem; you'll have to check on Slingmedia's website to see if it'll work with a satellite connection.

5. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

dvr boxes are tricky because he is remotely controlling it. so u can't use it at the same time.

caution: your internet connection must have atleast 384kbps upload to decently watch basketball.

[​IMG]

Slingbox AV would do the trick.

DVR box >> slingbox av >> router >> dsl/cable modem

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What is a slingbox? Every time I see the word I think of:

[​IMG]

7. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

yes it does work. i'd recommend the slingbox classic...remote viewing is the same quality as all the newer slingboxes, but it gives u the option of using the built-in tuner OR connecting a cablebox. slingbox av connects to set-top boxes only and slingbox tuner is only for basic cable.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

So it doesn't work with a DishNetwork HD receiver (not DVR)? What if you have a wireless network, what would you need to hook it up to the network?

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is anybody familiar with this?

HAVA

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Hi Mango,

Did you get it? Looks good.

11. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I just purchased a slingbox classic online today. Does anyone know if you can set the bandwidth limit? My parent's house in Houston uses VoIP phone line, so if the uplink get eaten up too much by this thing, the phone quality would drop significantly.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, I have it, and love it.

DD

13. blathersby

Man, DD, you are just SO descriptive. :rolleyes:

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Depending on their connection.....

It will most likely send their connection to ****. My parents have Vonage...same thing.

Just don't watch slingbox during the most busy hours?

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My parents have Comcast digital voice. I nor they have noticed anything. I believe Slingbox automatically caps your speed when watching remotely...I can't get it streaming faster than 350-400 kbps.

Slingbox is so awesome it should be illegal.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was just answering the question, did we need a description?

I thought yours pretty much answered everything about it, the Hava works the same way it just has built in Wi Fi, so you can sit on the can and watch the tube on your laptop or cell phone.

And I have the previous version of the Hava, had a bit of trouble getting it to run at first, but once it did....very happy.

I use it a lot when I travel, can watch live events, or control my DVR from anywhere there is an internet connection.

I even go full screen on my notebook and it is very watchable.

DD

17. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

thats because that's what your max upload is close to.

slingbox doesn't cap anything. in fact i had the att 768kbps upload package and i got close to 650 remotely. i downgraded my package to 512kbps and now i get around 400.

with any internet provider you only get about 80-90% of what they advertise. too many factors in play for you to get the exact amount.

for anyone that needs to check their speed go here

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and click on a server close to you. after its done. it will give u ur speed in (kbps) and (KB/sec)

remember you need minimum 300-400kbps to watch remotely. and that's hogging up your full upload! so say bye bye to uploading anything else.

18. Cohen

Thanks DaDakota.

I needed another cablebox in my office for LP, but I'll just get this instead and it'll pay for itself w/i 2 years... along w/ being much cooler than a cablebox. :)

btw, where'd you pick yours up?

#18 Cohen, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  19. blathersby

Oh, cool! Those are the things I didn't know. =D
    But, nah, you didn't have to. I was just giving you a hard time.

20. Cohen

DaDakota,

Where'd you pick yours up?