1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions about Sura

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joesr, Aug 27, 2013.

1. joesr

joesr Member

I became a Rockets after I got on shore duty (Navy). (Being out at sea all the time made it hard to follow any sport passionately). It was Yao Ming that brought me to this team and with every draft since then I became more and more of a fan.

Anyway, I would always hear good things about Sura but by the time I started watching ball again I was able to see Rafer perform for us.

I was watching some Sura clips..............

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WXtafK-u9iA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

..........and I know mixes like these make a player seem even better than they are but it seems to me that he is more offensive minded and pretty good at it.

I wanted to know if you guys who watched him play on the Rockets can tell me more??

What was his main game style like? Pass first? Shoot first? Dunking vs shooting? Defense?

Why did he come to Htown?

How good did we do with him vs our other guards?

1 person likes this.
  2. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

LOOOL

you can totally see the demographic of the GARM these days with the lack of responses to this thread. Lin fans are like, who??

1 person likes this.
  3. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

He brought a lot of toughness for sure.

1 person likes this.
  4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He could have helped us to the top. If he could be healthy with Mcgrady and Yao all together. man....

Rafer was good and all, but was just so frustrating seeing him blew layup by layup.

1 person likes this.
  5. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Bob Sura brought a lot of grit to the 04-05 team that lost in 7 to the Mavs that year. He was a fan favorite here for being clutch and for being an awesome teammate. I met the dude once out at the outlets in San Marcos...he had some really hot chick with him lol

1 person likes this.
  6. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

I remember watching him when he was with the Cavs. I always liked his game. From what I remember he came to Houston at the tail end of his career so he wasn't as athletic as he was when he was with the Cavs, mainly due to injury, but from what I can remember he was a pretty good guard still. He was a smart player and by the time he came to Houston he was more of a facilitator than a scorer but he could still put up some good production on any given night...

1 person likes this.
  7. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I remember he wasn't the greatest shooter and was somewhat streaky but he did everything else fairly well, I think he almost had 3 consecutive games with a triple double but i think the last rebound was rescinded by the NBA cause he missed on purpose just to get a rebound or something.

To me he just seemed like a winner; him and mike james made a pretty good point guard combo. That team had a certain swagger about it (and i think he helped build it) and was really fun to watch.

1 person likes this.
  8. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Yea every time someone sees Sura they always mention him hanging out with a hot chick, guess he had mad game...:D

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Sura used to date my buddy's sister (former RPD) so I'd see him out some. Cool dude off the court. Laid back, but always out and about the Houston club scene. Hung out once at our table (Armando's, River Oaks) at a private party. He didn't say a whole lot.

On the court he was an animal. Very, very tough competitor. Heard a story about him going at Juwan Howard in practice. Something about getting undercut at the rim. (Heard this story from David Wesley who played softball in Pearland with some of my buddies around that time.)

Anyway, most of Sura's explosivenss (from Cavs days) was pretty much gone once he got to Houston. But we really loved his fierceness and never-back-down attitude. He could really shoot it too. Heard JVG really loved him. Just couldn't stay on the court. Suffered those damn knee and back problems. Very frustrating as a Rox fan.

1 person likes this.
  10. WNBA

WNBA Member

He is like Delfino, was a scrub for other teams but elevated his game and enjoyed playing for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tough nosed player. Not a great point guard but definitely a good basketball player.

1 person likes this.
  12. TracysGhost

TracysGhost New Member

That's what I remember about him the most. The three* games with the triple double. Of course that was right before he came to Houston...Always remember Ricky Davis and Sura for trying to get those last minute triple doulbes...

When it comes down to it though, he was a solid role player for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Awesome player. Great teammate. Game 2 in Dallas - those clutch threes had Worrell damn near in a faint.

See what I did there?

1 person likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Sura also checked Howard for a flagrant foul...guy was hard nosed and like JVG said they needed to surround T-Mac and Yao with "pitbulls"

1 person likes this.
  15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Sura faints

1 person likes this.
  16. langal

langal Contributing Member

gritty player. could do multiple things - all pretty well. a great glue guy. seemed more impactful than Battier

competed in a dunk contest too!

2 people like this.
  17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Obligatory: "Sura faints".....:grin:

You know you're a fan favorite when you have your very own cliche!!!:eek:

1 person likes this.
  18. blunto

blunto Member

Saw him last summer at a bar in Montrose with a whole herd of hot chicks following him around. Him, one of his buddies, and like 5 smokin females who were practically hanging off of him.

1 person likes this.
  19. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Holy **** we were paying Sura through the 07-08 season

1 person likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The guy was tough as nails and pretty clutch. Decent overall game and a triple double threat. Not a great post passer though. Apparently, his game off the court makes Parsons look like an amateur.

2 people like this.