1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

questions about salaries

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tree-Mac, Jan 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

how is the salary for an nba player determined? according to hoopshype.com, these are salaries for a few rockets:

moochie norris - $4.2M
    rafer alston - $3.85M
    bob sura - $3.5M

what's wrong with this list? so why is moochie paid more than alston and sura? he's not even in the rotation! even with the rockets' current situation, they still don't need him.

another question: if a player signed a muti-year deal and is traded, does he still get that money that he would get if he were not traded? like michael finley is supposed to make $15.9M this year with the mavs, $17.2M next year, and $18.5M the following year (hoopshype.com).

last question: why in the world is chris webber paid more than iverson? he's making about $2.7M more than iverson. that's not fair to iverson, who's much better than webber. iverson is also the team's heart and soul.

i really don't understand these salary stuffs. anyone care to explain? thanks!!!

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but most long contract are usually back-loaded...you'll almost always see a guy making more in the 4th year of a contract than the 1st. Moochie had something like a $12 million dollar deal over 4 years if I remember correctly. He probably made something like this:

Year:
    1- 2 mil
    2- 3 mil
    3- 3.5 mil
    4- 4.2 mil

That's just an example...I don't know what he really made each year. Alston still has a few years on his contract, so he'll be getting paid more in 2-3 years. Same reason for Webber/Iverson...Webber is probably toward the latter part of his deal, Iverson may be early on.

And yes, if a guy gets traded, he keeps the same contract.

3. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

thanks. that makes sense. but about the contract stuff, you're telling me that the mavs will have to pay finley $51.6M even though he's not playing for them anymore?! what a waste of money!!

why didn't the rockets not sign moochie and vin baker and released mo taylor instead of trading him? they could have just paid him the $8+M instead of picking up $8M on two no-bodies AND paying mo his $8+M. that's $16M wasted. they could just have picked up two nbdl guys like baxter for about $1.5M total and save $6.5M for a good free agent. i don't know. it just seems to me these nba teams have alot of money to waste. look at new york and their bunch of overpaid players who cannot get the team anywhere.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

nba contracts are guranteed unlike the NFL.

I think the spurs are paying that contract now.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

mavs still liable for most of that chunky contract.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Once a player is traded, the new team picks up his contract...the old team is released from it. So, no, the Rockets aren't still paying Mo Taylor...but he's going to get the same amount as what he signed for from the Knicks.

7. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

1. Finley wasn't traded to the Spurs. He was waived by the Mavs and signed with the Spurs as a free agent. Generally, when a team waives a player, they're still responsible for paying out whatever's left of the original contract. The Spurs are only responsible for paying Finley whatever he signed for.

2. For the same reason, we traded Taylor because by waiving him we'd still be responsible for his 8-9 million/year salary. Since we traded him to the Knicks, we no longer have to pay that salary. Contracts are traded along with the players.

3. We couldn't just "sign" Moochie and Baker. They were still under contract with the Knicks at the time. A player can't just pick up and randomly sign a contract with another team when they're still under contract with their current one. Hence...the idea behind trades. We traded Taylor for Moochie+Baker.