1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questioning Yao's purported "High Basketball IQ"....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by silentfan, Nov 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Which commentators? It depends on the case. Sometimes, the casual commentators who see Yao very few times do not know what is right and wrong. Some of them don't have high BB IQ either. :)

If the defender is up at your chest:
    1) Leaning toward the basket to shoot will get you an offensive foul.
    2) Going straight up will get the ball stuffed down your throat.

I missed the Phoenix game this season, I heard that Yao got stuffed several times. In other games that I did watch, opponents rarely attempt to block his fade away. You might be able to block it once or twice, but you will foul more often. Opponents are playing straight up, staying between him and the basket and inviting him to shoot the fade away. Once Yao's stamina is up such that he gets good strength in his legs, he will make those fade away more often. That will make opponents play him differently, i.e. overplaying .... That will create more opportunity to go around them.

2. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

1) This has more to do with experience than level of bb IQ.

2) I agree with you here. Yao should hold the ball over his head more often.

3) I dunno what games you watch. Yao almost always finds the open man when he is double teamed.

4) This one is debatable. If he's more comfortable fading, let him fade. He hits it quite often. But again, it has little to do with bb IQ. It's more in line with style of play.

3. danjojo

danjojo Member

I happen to agree with SilentFan, although i believe he should make some noise...especially if he goes to the... Summit :D

I have seen Yao be tentative on many occasions. People here keep talking about our guards being dumb, but there's a lot of blame to go around for everyone...i have not seen the last 3 games, but the ones i saw before i actually felt the guards didn''t get Yao the ball because they didn't have the confidence he would do the right thing with it...sometimes he did, sometimes he did not...just like Steve, Cat and the rest of the crew...that's just my take...

4. Sane

Sane Member

If Yao is as skilled as Brad Miller, that's perfectly fine with me. Brad is averaging 18/10/2 and 5+ assists with less than 2 TO's, on around 50% shooting.

Hell, add 30lbs of strength, and 4 inches of height to him, he'll be a monster...If we only had that kind of player...:rolleyes:

5. prlen

prlen Member

Brad Miller?12pts 10 reb 5as!He is in King!!!

What a joke!Brad Miller is more skilled than yao?
    Could not help laughing!

6. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

You are blind at this point. If Yao is at Kings, will his stats be less than Brad Miller... Give me a break...

7. hulk

hulk Contributing Member

LOL. I am pretty sure that Pacer or Kings would be happy to do the trade.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

If Yao's bball iq is not high....then I hate to see how low Francis, Moochie and Mobs iq's are...

9. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

I hate to say this, but it is so true. Yao's game is much more suited for the Kings way of team basketball.
    So often did you see Divac setting up plays at the high post, looking for cutters inside and open men on the perimeter, or taking an uncontested shot if left open. It is much more fun to watch that than seeing Yao in trying posting down low all the time. The only time he posted high was only to set a pick and seldom got the ball back. Let face it. Yao is long and thin on the upper body, even though he is getting thicker. He could never be like Shaq. Yao will be Yao. If anything, on the long run Yao will be more like a taller and much better version of Divac than Shaq.