1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Question) Why do Overweight Individuals Stay Overweight.....?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMania1991, Dec 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Back in the day when there was no online piracy, the record labels used to charge $19.99 per cd. I never saw those prices ever fluctuate lower.

Now that the aspect of packaging and selling a physical product has diminished, the record labels are still guilty of price fixing. This is openly known. They are still guilty of anti-trust and collusion today.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. Those damned overweight CD's never saw a diet they liked, not for years and years. It's why I still have over 300 LPs, some that you still can't get on a CD.

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Take care of yourself MM. If the doc's haranguing you about your weight, you're likely unhealthy. Don't worry about the scales and calories --- but toss the soda's, go for walks, and try to eat healthy. Good for the mind too.

You've got ten years invested in this site -- don't f it up! Ignore the haters...but look after yourself.

4. sew

sew Member

Bitter.

Your doctor is sincerely concerned for your well-being. Try to appreciate the fact that someone is trying to help you.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why do stupid people stay stupid?

Shouldn't they take a proactive stance to raise their intelligence so they aren't idiots when they try to talk to the rest of us?

1 person likes this.
  6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Being a vegetarian doesn't automatically mean it's a diet that will keep you thin.

One of my old friends tried out vegetarian and gained several pounds throughout the year, which confused me. I thought vegetarians were thin. He put cheese on many of his foods, or salad dressing. Very high calorie. If you get the imitation meat products, they tend to be nothing but fat, sugar, sodium, and MSG mixed with textured vegetable protein.

7. BetterThanEver

By the way, if you do eat those imitation products with MSG, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, textured protein or such, you want want to avoid them competely.

MSG has been linked to obesity, regardless of activity or calories.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/health/nutrition/26nutr.html

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Whats the main INTERNAL reason and EXTERNAL pressure reason to lose weight?

To look HOT.

Health and well-being and cost to society are bullsh_t euphemisms. Its a bunch of europhile elitism.

If given the choice of
    1) losing weight to look good
    or
    2) gaining 50 pounds but it gives health benefits and living longer

80% people would choose option 1.

1 person likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Here is another scenerio:
    If given the choice of
    1)Being more physically attractive AND having a healthier lifestyle
    or
    2)Using excuses to not doing what it takes to lose weight

Its estimated 33% of Americans are overweight. Pull out a nonsensical number out of your ass like that 80% and subtract those who truly have medical issues. Then add in those who are borderline overweight and/or those who will likely be overweight as this epidemic continues to grow over time.

The reality is being fit is much healthier AND it makes you feel better. If the peer pressure was as important as you say, more fatties would be taking a more drastic approach to losing weight.

10. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Very easy to lose tons of weight , you just need the right path and the motivation. Your body is like a septic tank, and sometimes random crap gets clogged inside and you need to flush it out regularly.

The best way to do this is with natural ozone cleansing, raw juicing (especially green vegetables), and a radically different diet containing mostly organic raw foods with little meat or carbs.

This is an adjustment I made when I went to an organic diet:

Breakfast A) Processed cereal, bacon, eggs, store bought OJ & milk

Breakfast B) Protein shake w/ bananas, frozen berries, hemp/almond/rice milk, cacao nibs, organic hemp seeds, and honey. Fresh-juiced OJ or grapefruit juice.

Snacks A) chips, pretzels, yogurt, peanuts

Snacks B) raw celery, cucumber, carrot, cilantro, apple juice (or) banana, sliced tomato w/ apple cider vinegar & olive/sesame oil (or) raw dried fruit

Lunch A) fast food, frozen pizza, mac & cheese, canned spaghetti

Lunch B) baked wild caught whitefish with lime juice, coconut oil & cilantro, homemade tahini, hummus, tabbouleh.

Dinner A) cheap cut of meat w/ pasta, processed food, or go out to eat

Dinner B) marinated steak (8 oz, organic) with Israeli salad.

Drink lots of water and raw juicing in between, and eat some piece of raw fruit before each meal to improve digestion and to avoid overeating. Normally I wouldn't eat this much meat but it is an acceptable diet.

The problem is that most fast food and processed food literally contains addictive compounds, so it can be difficult for people to move to a raw diet cold turkey. If you are able to do this, you will hardly ever touch fast food and feel more confident in life.

Humans were obviously NOT intended to be this large! Take care of yourselves.

2 people like this.
  11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

been doing my best to stay away from cheese the last few months, if i do buy the imitation meat products I always get the ones with out MSG they cost more but i know to stay away from that stuff. when it comes to dressing i do stay away from the ranch, 1000 island etc most of the time its just a vinagrette (sp?) i put on.

I am going to change my goals though for right now at this rate I am going to hit them so I am going to try to make them higher so i stay motivated

I started my new routine on my birthday (mid sept) when i weighed in at a staggering 298 ....told myself at least 50 pounds by May 2011 I checked my weight this morning and I was 252 so gonna try for at least 80 by May 2011. The last few months have been rough but if its what I have to do, its what I have to do.

12. SunsRocketsfan

hey our bdays are 4 days apart.. Good luck on your goal!
    It definitely isnt food and lack of exercise like a lot of people say on here. I have a good friend who has gone through some crazy weight loss only to gain it back and lose it again.
    Also I have always been one to eat whatever I want and not gain any fat till lately. I have a round fatty tummy that I never use to have. Looks like I better start hitting the gym also.

13. BetterThanEver

If he gained all the weight back, I bet he stopped doing what was working to get his weight down. I think many people fall back on old habits and wonder why the weight comes back.

A good amount of calories can be burned in 30 minutes, but it is small compared to the amount of calories that can be eaten and drank in 30 minutes.

14. SunsRocketsfan

yeah his gf broke up with him and he stopped caring and just ate whatever. What I was astonished at was how FAST he gained it all back. I didnt see him for like a month or two and damn he was huge again. Took him like a year to lose all that weight and only one month to gain it back.

We joined a community basketball league so he's on track to start losing the weight again and already lost quite a bit. But hey it helps having a big ass in the paint to bump people out of the way.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with this but to keep down the derail am going to start another thread.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That may be a major motivator but I don't think its a good one. Also consider the Rubinesque figure which for a lot of Western history was considered to be very attractive, for women at least. In fact it really wasn't until the 1960's that rail thin became the ideal.

Also just using looks as a motivator can cause a lot of other problems with the biggest one being anorexia and bulimia. Also since no matter how much most of us work out we won't end up looking like Brad Pitt or Megan Fox but if that is our expectation its easy to get frustrated and give up.

17. Classic

Classic Member

The answer is simple. Priorities.

18. Vivid

Vivid Member

Did you think about the fact that we are programed biologically to be attracted to healthy people? It's not elitism, not completely anyways. What about building confidence, the enjoyment of sporting activities, and the fear of death. Looking healthy and being healthy go hand in hand. Being overweight and looking overweight go hand in hand. Your choices are stupid. If you could look great by doing nothing and eating whatever, or look like a fat slob by working out like crazy and eating right, what would you choose?

You are just dead wrong. The point is many people are overweight anyways without the health benefits (34 % of Americans are not just overweight but obese), you add in the health benefits, and that won't give them an incentive to change from being fat. 34% percent of people are already not choosing to lose weight to "look" good. You think if being fat were healthy that would actually decrease that amount to 20%. Really? Yes, vain douche-bags care more about how they look, but the rest of the world with families, kids, jobs, lives... just do it to be healthy and so that they can maintain a certain lifestyle.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Interesting article about a man who lost nearly 300 pounds.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/29/aha.moments.weightloss/index.html