1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Question) Why do Overweight Individuals Stay Overweight.....?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMania1991, Dec 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Yet many overweight people drink DIET Coke because they think it helps them lose weight. Oh the irony..

Again, the main problem is the issue with lifestyles. Genetics may play a role to some extent, but that doesn't explain why this country is the fattest country in the world.

That article about the fat woman trying to be the fattest woman in the world is just pathetic. Treat your body like ****, then your body will treat you like ****. What she's doing with her body is her issue (something she'll pay for eventually) but seriously, in terms of resources what a waste of food??? Did she really need to eat that much to keep her obese self alive? The amount she ate is the calorie count for more than 14 people on 2000 calorie/day diets. She probably regularly eats 5-10 times the portions of a normal person. Is she really so important that she should consume 5-10 times the normal amount of food resources needed to sustain a healthy life? That strikes me as very arrogant, self-centered, and WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE. (a Kevin Harlan reference)

1 person likes this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sorry missed this post...I see now you're doing the elliptical. First, don't put too much weight on the "calories burned" shown on the screen...there's been studies done that show you may not even be burning half of that. Second, try to do some resistance training, as it burns calories at the moment and any muscle gained eats calories while you're at rest. Not sure if this is what you're doing the other hour at the gym? Finally, try to get some more sleep.

3. teknokid

teknokid Member

Exactly that's my thought too... how can you blame on the genes? If you want to blame on the gene, you all need to look back to your heritage. How come we don't see such obese people in other countries where our ancestors all migrated from? How come there weren't these many obese people back in the 60's in the state?
    Check this out. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/average-american-weight.html
    Women aged 20-29 were nearly 29 pounds heavier on average in 2002 compared to 1960.
    33 pounds increase in average American man's weight (age group 60-74) was noticed in 2002 compared to 1960.

So are we saying that our DNA has changed since 1960 drastically for some reason? I bet you not. It's the eating habit and the culture that has changed not the gene.

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

My 2 cents: When people in general consumer food, the brain releases hormones that actually makes you feel good about eating. Now, once the feeling of 'being full' overwhelms the feeling of 'eating is good', then most people stop eating. But there are some people who can't control themselves and continue to want to eat to release more of the hormone (unfortunately, the more you eat, the less of the hormone is excreted, so the effect is exacerbated). This is just from Discovery channel, but apparently that's a big reason why some morbidly obese people eat so much.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The ones that don't get magically promoted into marketing or financial analyst positions are.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

7. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Lol umm okay..

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

All food tastes good if you take time to cook.

Diet Coke needs to stop. You try one at a young age and you associate diet with stuff that tastes bad.

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

dude, its american psycho. christian bale? pshh

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This might be the most inaccurate and straight up dumb thing I have ever seen posted on this bbs. Congrats.

1 person likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I try not to judge people but that is sick and selfish. In the article it says that 30 medics were needed so she could give birth because she was so grossly overweight. I hate to imagine what sort of complications the child might have being born to someone that healthy plus I wonder how she is able to take care of her child when she is devoting herself to becoming the world's fattest woman.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Ops question is flawed, some people do not stay overweight, some folks lose it, some get fatter, some maintain......

I lost most of the extra lbs a few years ago doing the Atkins diet, and kept it off for over a year, had to give up Coca Cola to do it though, then gradually started getting into bad habits and the weight came back.

It is mostly about bad habits, I think, eating late, not getting enough excercise, and honestly, not giving a crap....

When I was in my 20s, I was in great shape, and mostly in my 30s too, but once I hit 40s....things slowed down, I have kids that I like to spend time with and the gym just did not seem all that important.

That being said....it is a new year....and there is ample opportunity to lose the weight again.

I guarantee you this thread is written by a very young inexperienced person, it reads like pure ignorance...

Tell ya what though.....fat is temporary, ....I can always lose the weight, if motivated to do so.

Folks should worry about themselves, and not so much others, mind your own business, so to speak.

DD

#72 DaDakota, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  13. Asian Sensation

This is a great post. If your motivated enough you can make just about anything happen. What it boils down to for some people is as DD put simply not giving a crap.

14. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

My New Years Resolution this year is to not lose an ounce of my 320 lbs to satisfy fat hating Nazi's reinforced by the fat hating media.

If it helps people to sleep better at night to think all fat people are lazy and that anyone can lose weight and keep it off then sleep well.

I have lost the same 40lbs a dozen times, and I am sick of it. If you want to think I am a bad person because I am not a gym rat and I am not inclined to eat mostly rabbit food then again...knock yourself out.

When I watched (the one and only time) The Biggest Loser...I didn't see "inspiration" I saw real live human beings being shouted at in a way you couldn't shout at a dog on television without every animal rights group in the country coming down on you with both feet...I saw a carnival freak show of sad people.

The deal is...when I lose that 40 lbs, yes I feel a little better physically, but I am spending half my day thinking about food, exercise and it squeezes out work, school, family...the little things that constitute my real life. It just is not worth it to me.

If you want to count your trim waistline as evidence of your heroism, fortitude and will power who am I to stop you. Just do us "fatties" a favor, and say something to me on the street if I appall you, don't be a coward and hide behind the anonymity of the internet to spread your vile brand of hate and stupidity.

I am a human, frigging, being. And I am entitled to be treated as such, if you think I am lazy, evil, or a bad example to children that is fine.....but the fact is most fat people hate themselves and won't stand up to you....I will.

For the record I am not so much speaking to the OP as I am each and every one of you who chimed in with your nickel worth of hate.

#74 Major Malcontent, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    2 people like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Fat is temporary, stupid is permanent.

DD

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

One of the best decisions I've ever made was completing a 10 day fast early this year. During the time I abstained from food, my body and my digestive system was able to rest, and I spent a lot of time realizing how much toxic **** I'd been putting into it. There was a lot of time spent meditating and putting together exactly what it means to "eat to live."

A lot of fasting-for-health tends to go to waste, because once food is reintroduced, a person will tend to way overeat because tastebuds are so sensitive and alive. Many people gain back every pound they lose, and more. We (moes19 and I) spent the first day off the fast drinking 1/2 pure squeezed orange juice, 1/2 water...and I think it was the greatest thing I've ever tasted.

The fast put things in perspective for me. And in concrete terms, I lost around 20 pounds, 10 of which I had been losing and gaining for years. This was insane motivation for me, because it became so much easier to work out. I always had a lot of problems with my feet (plantar faciitis) and left knee, but I haven't had even a twitch of pain since before the fast. I was able to excel with my running program and in total I have lost [ALMOST] 40 pounds this year.

I think a key for me was not thinking so much about calories. ****, I've done Weight Watchers...I counted "points" for years. And it drives me crazy.

Instead of obsessing so much over health food and calories and fat, I decided to just eat whatever the hell I want. The key is stopping when you're full, which somehow my mind can now grasp after a decade of struggles. I never buy fat free or low fat anything. I take pleasure in eating slowly and enjoying every morsel. But I don't have to think about food when I'm not eating it.

Also, I do an hour of cardio every morning. It's gotten to the point where something feels off if I don't get my workout in. I use the feeling of euphoria after my workout to guide my eating habits the rest of the day.

Every step I get closer to my goals, the more motivated I become. It's just that change in mindset, and the realization that "hey, i can do this, because I AM doing it!"

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

~Why do Ugly Individuals Stay Ugly? Can They Not Get a Facelift/Reconstructive Surgery.....~

~Why do Poor Individuals Stay Poor? Can They Not Get Better Jobs?...~

~Why do Narrow Minded Individuals Keep Wondering Why Others Are Not Like Them?....~

My only concern on this topic is the morbidly obese people with a sedentary lifestyle, because of the health issues they most likely have.

18. SunsRocketsfan

Why do the Rockets continue to stay mediocre and not win the championship??

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Says the guy with "Suns" in front of "Rockets" in his moniker.

20. sew

sew Member

I workout for the endorphins.

It's my drug.

To those of you who hate exercise... you need to experience the "runner's high"