1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Question) Why do Overweight Individuals Stay Overweight.....?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMania1991, Dec 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe they not as vain/shallow as you
    maybe they don't give a *****
    maybe they got other ***** they consider more important
    maybe it is simply is not the priority for them that it is for you

Why are dumb people dumb?
    What are unread people unread?

Why don't every hangglide? It is so much fun . . .everyone should. . .

Rocket River

2 people like this.
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not only would she not lose weight, it would probably aggravate her heart and she would be that much closer to dying: although it takes a few weeks if you're still drinking water.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Fat?

:grin:

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its a matter of habit. People that have good habits wonder why those with bad habits don't change. Well -- that's the nature of habits. They are easy to maintain, hard to change.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

They might have got married. And don't feel the need to impress anyone anymore.

#25 Mr. Brightside, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ah, the arrogance of youth.

Get married, have a kid or two, go to work, pay bills, clean house, walk the dog, get older... it sneaks up on you in no time.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Some people grow up fat as a result of what their parents fed them. It's not exactly easy to lose weight because it's hard for some people to discipline themselves.

8. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

I didn't know that. :confused: So I guess if she starves for 5 weeks maybe? I don't know, I'm a skinny person and I drop weight when I'm stressed out and don't eat much. But I've been hearing fat people eat more when they're stressful or depressed.

9. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

How does that aggravate her heart? Then why are there children in poor countries that starve for days, maybe even a week, but are still alive?

If fat people just starve and pop a few vitamins, drink water only, they will lose the weight. The thing with fat people is that they are lazy. Working out is a big deal for them, so the least they can do is not eat.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

No discipline = laziness

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why don't you not eat for 5 weeks, "pop a few vitamins", and only drink water, and tell me how you feel afterwards. Not eating isn't NEARLY as easy as you seem to think it is.....kids in Africa who are starving are VERY NEAR death. Starvation is INCREDIBLY strenuous on the human body, and it basically destroys your internal organs. Proper nutrition and sustenance is a basic human necessity. Just because somebody is overweight doesn't mean they should deprive themselves of basic healthiness.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You are an idiot in regards to this topic and you should stop posting in this thread.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7w64fbqYQY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7w64fbqYQY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Starving yourself is an inefficient way to lose weight. Your body will go into "starvation" mode and will burn calories slower.

You work out, right? Can you bench 500 lbs (free weights)? Probably not. How about a friendly wager. I'll give you six weeks to train. After these six weeks, if you can bench 500 lbs, I'll give you $500. If you can't bench 500 lbs, then you make a $20 donation to the tipjar.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

as someone who is fat

its not all just me not exercising or eating well....for the most part i eat pretty healthy, i am a vegetarian..(but i do eat eggs/dairy) but as much as i exercise the weight barely came off..the moment i would stop it would come back even more.

for me its part genetics and lately a more sedentary life at work (compared to in college when the only time I sat down was in class or study...now at work its like i am in my chair in front of a computer 90% of the day)

I'd put in a decent amount of time at the gym, eat right ... more so than my friends but over time it would still go up, not like a huge jump but gradually. It got super frustrating its like I have to double whatever I normally used to do..I really dont have time to spend close to 2.5 hours a day at the gym.

but I have been over the past 3 months, putting at least 2 hours a day even if it means getting up a lot earlier than I should and actually missing rockets games after work (games start here for me 530 I get out of work usually at 5 so after the gym and all I usually get home closer to 8pm-830 -- game over by then)

its working i've lost a decent amount of weight since the middle of october, but i dont know how long i can keep it up working 8-10 hours then gym for at least 2 hours every day...(i take a break on weekends). Going 1 hour does no good, I did that every day for 3 months including weekends and at the end of 3 months I was actually 2 pounds heavier.

i see my friends eat 3-4 times as much as i do and never gain a single pound and it pisses me off.

basically for some people yeah they are just downright lazy...i've seen the ones that are and they are just lazy

for others it could be they tried and failed and wish to not try again

and then there is people like me who keep trying and failing but will keep trying and do something different. its like i'm overweight but in better conditioning now than I have been for a while. I think I'll always be a big guy I just dont want to be the biggest guy in the room. I dont want to go the route of like surgeries and all because I feel like I can. I had my doctor check me out for thyroid issues and she said that its a bit on the low side but it would be necessarily classified as hypothyroid and said she wouldnt give me any medicine for it.

but its working its just that its eating up all of my free time nowadays

like yesterday I didnt go to the gym because I wanted to watch the heat-rockets game.... I ate my normal meals -- i try to keep my calorie intake around 16-1700 per day. I wake up this morning and I am a pound heavier than yesterday...after a while it gets frustrating but i'll keep going I made a promise to someone that I attend to keep

but to say that its because they are lazy or undisciplined is very short sighted if you ask me...of course that is the case for a lot of overweight people but its not for all of them.

15. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Depends on the definition of overweight, sure for obese there is no excuse and it's just lazy. I have a friend on facebook who sounds just like the OP with all his status updates about his war on the overweight and lazy, yet the dude is unemployed and spends his days between the gym and his xbox which I find rather funny. I'm not ashamed to say over the last few years old age and alcohol has developed the first signs of a beer gut on me, I am proud of it and hope to sculpt it in the years to come. Also just because a person might be slightly overweight certainly doesn't mean they are less healthy, I for example do physical work 10 hours a day and play basketball and football through the year and would be fitter than a lot of my mates who live at the gym and do nothing else and also skinny people who do nothing but drugs all day.

I have a job, a home and a Mrs to keep me occupied and it keeps me happy and I still get a bit of activity in there too, I couldn't give two ****s what some random person walking by me thought of me if I carried a little extra.

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

My main and pretty much only form of excercise is basketball and you know dont see many 50 year old men or even 40 year olds playing hoops at 24 hour at 6 pm...

I'm not quite sure what I'll do than,playing sports is fun excercise but its gonna be harder when you get older and cant do it. Than you have to hit the treadmill and that is pretty effing boring. And play golf and your not burning calories there..

So I gain 75 lbs over the next few years its probaly just laziness when I'm 45 im probaly still eating like I do today...

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Pearsall has got to be the fat capital of Texas. Everywhere, fat people, their fat kids and more fat people. I thought I was fat (5' 9'' 200lbs) before I came here. I think it's lifestyle (nature and nurture) that teaches kids how to act, they are very much like clay, so easy to mold. Carrizo Springs is like 2,000 people smaller but it is a hell of a lot better. Pearsall also happens to have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Texas.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think that sometimes a contributing issue is stress. When I'm stressed out, I just don't eat that much. When my significant other is stressed, she tends to eat more than she normally does. Your metabolic rate must have a lot to do with it, as well. Hell, something does. I frequently eat terrible stuff. I'm a sucker for a great burger, killer rings and fries, and a vanilla malt with a bit of extra malt, or some great BBQ, which we have plenty of in the Austin area, yet I weigh less now than I did 30 years ago. Go figure. Maybe it's the 40 milligrams of Lipitor I take every day. Beats me!

:confused:

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The biggest reason is they don't care or they have grown to accept it. Often used are excuses such as genetics, health issues, or other lifestyle circumstances.

There biggest reason that prevents people from losing weight is misinformation.

We are slammed with products that advertise to lose weight by taking a pill (removing the responsibility of the individual)

We are trained to believe that exercise is a key role in losing weight. Exercising has very little to do with losing weight. Its the discipline in exercising that assists in losing weight.

We are told to watch calories, count carbs, avoid sugars, stay away from meats, ect ... There is mass confusion on what and what not to eat.

Much of the food we eat has little to no nutritional value due to various reasons. Thus we need to eat more to get the nutrition we need. Our portion sides are easily double than what we need. When we go out to eat, appetizers, supersizes and desserts are up sold to us.

So essentially, the biggest reason why America is fat;
    Portion size - We over eat
    then the quality of our food.

1 person likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Everyone is different. Genetics play a big role. Obviously, so does diet and exercise.

People think going on a diet is so tough. It's really not imo.. I probably eat more than I did before I seriously changed my eating habits. I just try to eat lean. Egg whites, chicken, turkey, fish and other sources of lean protein. Of course, fruits and vegetables are key and I incorporated complex carbs in my diet after a suggestion in a cfans thread. Obviously, you should stay away from desserts, candy, processed/fried foods.

No one can be perfect. 7 lean days in a week is asking a bit much. The key is to have to more lean days than not.