1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

question regarding cynthia woods pavillion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jo mama, Jul 21, 2003.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i got tickets to the radiohead show and noticed that they were selling parking tickets for $10. are those money-grubbing bastards now charging us for what used to be free parking, or did they build some special "VIP" lot closer to the venue?

i hope they arent charging for the lots that have always been free. id sooner walk from woodlands mall than pay for parking.

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Lots are still free, there is just a VIP section that's easier to get into and out of. It's a bit closer too. Parking at the mall is just as good, the problem is just getting out is harder, and it fills up REALLY fast for big shows like DMB or Radiohead.

3. jo mama

thank you v!

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really hope when the new arena is finished, more shows will be there instead of that God forsaken CWMP.

5. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Probably not. A lot of the Radiohead/U2 type bands prefer the open air pavilion-type things I think. Damn hippies!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

do yourself a favor....BUY THE $10 VIP PARKING!!! we got free parking passes last week for the DMB show and it was amazing. no dealing with finding a space, finding your car after the show, or waiting forever to get to I-45.

another little secret about parking....valet your car at the Marriott nearby...go in and have a drink...then walk over in the air conditioned walkway to the concert! then after the show, return through the tunnel...they'll bring your car to you...and your further down the road closer to I-45. it's all about technique, fellas. :)

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I get lost whenever I park at the Nazi Pavillion... I haven't been out there in years.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What's wrong with open air pavilions?

9. coma

coma Contributing Member

Hey TF,

How was that Poison/etc/etc concert? I heard the Adler's Appetite set was really unorganized.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It all depends on the band and their seating requirements. Radiohead is playing almost all outdoor venues. Most of them seat around 10-12,000 people. DMB is doing about half outdoor style pavillions and about half regular arenas.

Most of the decisions are based on what the band thinks it can sell and the amenities of the venue. In the case of DMB, they probably will end up in the new building. Radiohead, who knows? They may prefer smaller venues and the knowledge that a sellout is easier. It can be more profitable to rent a smaller space and sell it out than to rent a big place and leave several thousand seats empty.

And since the bands have to pay a lot of people and promoters need to make money, unless they are on a theater tour or club tour (purposefully playing really small places for a change), they are looking for the place that will give them the most bang for their buck.

11. TheFreak

Eh, I would say "okay", I guess. I didn't see Adler. Didn't even see Faster Pussycat, wish I would've. Skid Row was probably the best. The lead singer sounds JUST like Bach. It really is amazing - he hits every note. It's just that he's not Sebastian Bach (one of the best there is, IMO). I'm about sick of Vince Neil. Damn, how annoying. I swear he doesn't sing more than half of any song. I'd be surprised if Poison does this again anytime soon. I think it's been like 5 years in a row now and the novelty seems to be wearing off. Maybe the lineup just wasn't that good this year.

12. Live

Live Member

Couldn't have said it better myself!

My $0.02 about Mitchell Pavilion:

* Too far away
    * Stale atmosphere, last time I went (Snoop\Chilli Peppers) they wouldn't let you bring blankets in to sit on!! :mad:
    * Never have been crazy about the Woodlands
    * Too far away

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't mind CWP at all. I've really enjoyed seeing Dave there...really enjoyed the "outdoor light show" that the lightning storm gave us a few years back.

But I was watching Listener Supported with my wife and son on Sunday night...and my wife said, "hey, aren't they building a new stadium for the Rockets? :D do you think dave will play there next year? it would be neat to see them in a different environment like that."

i echo her sentiments...:) though i was a bit more familiar with the new arena developments.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I really hope they don't do the Toyota Center next tour. I much preferred the atmosphere of CWMP and Selma to that of the AAC.

15. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Just bought my ticket to the Radiohead concert!

16. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

I saw this new Skid Row open for KISS a couple years ago, thought the same thing, sounds JUST like Bach, but he isnt Bach..

Saw Crue a few years ago with Megadeth/Anthrax...noticed that Vince Neil only actually sang 50% of any song...

17. jo mama

wow! i figured it would have sold out by now.

i think that radiohead likes venues like the woodlands. if you look at their tour schedule, they are playing 15-20 thousand seats (woodlands size). most of the shows are also outdoors too. they are playing red rocks colorado next month, which is the most amazing place that i have ever seen a show. its up in the mountains and from your seat you are looking DOWN on the city of denver.

i saw lots of shows at the woodlands in the early 90's, but i moved to austin and had not been there in years till the last radiohead show. i always remembered liking the place, but my experience at that show was a let down. from up on the hill the sound was not very loud for a concert. its either due to stricter noise enforcement codes or my increasing deafness (hopefully 1!) the security there was like a federal prison, with the pat downs upon entry. they had security doing crowd sweeps ever so often, confiscating non-woodlands sanctioned inebriation devices.

after this radiohead show i dont think ill go there again (till the next radiohead show).

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The fact Radiohead has yet to sellout the Pavillion is probably one of the reasons why they are playing those venues.

Concerts just don't sell out like they used to, so artists are opting for smaller venues they can sellout more easily.

19. TheFreak

Even when the Summit was a concert option, the same bands that played there would always play the Woodlands in the summer. I thought it was purely based on the season.

20. TheFreak

Also, Jeff, are you sure these ampitheaters only hold 10-12K? I'm pretty sure the Dallas Starplex holds around 20K. I would assume CWMP and Verizon in SA are similar. Although CWMP may seem a little smaller than those other two, now that I think about it.