1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[question] Pest control services

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jun 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Anyone use them?

Any recommendations, good or bad stories to tell?

What is the general cost?

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I've used this one guy for a long time. The costs depends on how large your yard is and what all you want done.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I was thinking more of inside work, although I'm sure the outside would be treated as well.

I've found 2 roaches in the past month. I've never seen them in the 3 years I've lived in our new house. I'm hoping they were just strays from the outside looking to find some water because of the drought conditions we are going through. I can't stand roaches. I'd rather wake up with a spider on my face than see a roach in my house. (Yes, I do realize I live in Houston, but that doesn't mean I have to accept the fact that they'll be thriving here long after I'm gone. :) )

I also have two small kids and a cat and am concerned about the chemicals that might get used.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Ever since I bought my house in 2001, I have used an exterminator who (IMO, of course) is the best one in town. He charges me around $48 for quarterly service (1600 sqft house), uses non-smelling, non-toxic to humans chemicals, and I never have had to empty my cupboards or move any of my stuff. The only roaches I have ever seen in 4 years are dead ones...I usually find 2-3 dead ones in the house within a week of the treatment. That's it. I will occasionally see one crawling around the patio outside or the front walkway, but never inside the house. If any of you are interested, email me via this site and I will give you his name and number. His company is based in Sugarland.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I didn't realize it was that cheap for pest control. I've seen a couple of dead roaches at our new house, I wonder if that means the previous owner had the house treated?

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

I use KC Pest Control. He sprays inside and outside for $40 total (3,200 sq. ft.) and I hardly ever see any ants or roaches.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Safe for pets? Do you have to remove the dishes or anything like that?

About once a week, I'll see a dead roach. I wonder if that means the last treatment is still working. I never see any live ones.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

We have two cats, a dog and a 2 year old and they are still alive so I would say, yes.

Don't think we ever move any dishes.

:)

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Nobody uses Orkin?

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. Do you use the one in Spring or Tomball? Im thinking about giving them a call. Do you still use them codell?

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If it's an ant problem, I use liquid ant bait I buy from Loews. There's a long trail of ants for a week or so, but they disappear for 3 or 4 months.

It's controlled, so it doesn't spread out. And I think the food goes directly to the queen.

Excellent stuff.

I'm not sure about roaches, but the active ingredient is borax, so it might work on them too.

12. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

You should give those electronic repellers a try. IMO they are cheap and effective. I put a few in my home and I have never seen one single roach in the last 10 years.