1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for the old timers here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pandaemonaeon, May 22, 2018.

1. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Been a fan since 2007 and tonight was the best Rockets game I have ever watched. Showed some Championship level pedigree... esp CP3. He brings a level headed approach to this team that no one else does when it gets tough out there.

RocketWalta and smp like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When your head coach had to address the haters in his speech as 'NON BELIEVERS'

this is easy street

Caesar and IBTL like this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is what playoff basketball should be like. These trading blow out games is trash. Every game should be down to the end with all of us setting on the edge of our chairs or like me in Tampa tonight standing in front of the TV complaining that there should have only been .2 seconds vs .5 on the clock when CP3 was fouled. This is the kinda **** I just love.

TheresTheDagger, RocketWalta and smp like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Hell yes. Game three in New York, Sam Cassell goes nuts. That Phoenix game seven we were getting our doors blown off early but we slowly came back and topped it off with Mario's kiss of death. Game five elimination game in Utah, down like seven with four or five minutes left it was all slipping away and Clyde Drexler went nuts and saved our asses. Game five in Phoenix, Drexler was sick with the flu. Game one in Orlando, Nick Anderson misses four free throws in a row, Kenny Smith ties it with a three, Dream wins it with the tip in.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Collectively Worse.

Imagine:

Going away to Phoenix for two road games after dropping both of first two at home despite leading by nearly 20 going into 4th quarter. Being down huge in 3rd game and facing the prospect of getting swept, only to make a comeback. ANd then to face a game 7 after all that drama.

Being in the FInals and down 2-3 and needing to win both games for the ultimate prize.

Imagine facing John Starks in Steph Curry mode in that game 6 in Houston. The guy couldn't miss. Now imagine him taking that LAST shot of the game that would have given them a win and the title!!!!...only for Hakeem to have blocked him at the 3 point line because really he is the only center n the history of the game that could have made that play on the perimeter after losing his balance. That is one of the BEST defensive plays I have seen in the history of the game. I dare anyone to make a case otherwise.

And then imagine going to a game 7. Winner takes all. Imagine it going down the wire where 3 point lead seemed like a 10 point lead. And then to win it all.

It got better the following year.

Imagine:

Not having HCA in any of the series of the playoffs and needed to win last two game of the series to win the first round.

Playing a closing game of the series at Salt Lake City. Being down 7-8 point with a few minutes left in the game and then desperatley making a comeback. Relying on Chucky Brown to make two key free throws with the game on the line.

Going down against the Suns 1-3 in the series and needing to win the next 3 games. Losing Clyde for most of the game in game 5 in Phoenix. Needing a bucket in the last minutes of 4th quarter only to Hakeem make a jumper and then to watch anxiously as Wesley person take a last secong 3 pointer which would decide the fate of the Rockets. If he makes it, Rockets are out. If he misses we go to overtime. Overtime it was. And then the drama of game 7 in Phoenix. Down first half and Hakeem in foul trouble. Only to slowly crawl back into the game and then the Kiss of Death shot!!! Wow.

Winning first two game of the series against the Spurs on their home court only to lose next two in our own home. The drama of winning in game 5 and then t hold on in hame 6.

Then the Anti-Climax after all this.. The Orlando Magic LOL.

Tonight ranks right up with a lot of moments I have mentioned but that team went trough so many of these kind of nights.

Good thing I was young back then or else my heart wouldn't have been able to take it.

6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Imagine having to win EIGHT elimination games over 2 playoffs....including being down 3-1 to the Suns. Clutch City was EARNED.

Nick_713 and Scottay like this.
  8. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding me. Yep, that's the game I took my future wife to. Surprisingly I just walked up to the Summit ticket window the day of the game.

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Being down 0-2 to Phoenix in 94 was the worst moment in my time as a Rockets fan, but the redemption was even sweeter hence CLUTCH CITY.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"They won't die; you have to kill them like a snake" ~Barkley

11. Voltik

Voltik Member

It was way worse than this as we were down many times during the series and some of the games were back and forth or coming back from huge deficits. On top of that we were lower seed not expected to play well and counted out many times after being down 1-3 in series, hence Clutch City and “Never underestimate the heart of a Champion”.

Those were the good ol days.

tinman likes this.
  12. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

The Suns series in '94 was the first time I experienced this feeling, due to the Choke City label, but that was more amazement that we could come back from 3-1 versus a hard fought battle throughout. Then, the Finals against the Knicks was back & forth for every game, coming to a head in game 7 - such an incredible feeling when Dream blocked John Starks.

Not to diminish this season and our collective feelings - make no mistake, this is stressful and I feel the stakes are as high as what we felt back then. The emerging confidence of the team is where I'm beginning to see similarities.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, yes, a MILLION times yes.....

First championship year, the Knicks had a shot to win it with a 3 in game 6, and Dream got a finger nail on Starks shot - we win.

Kiss of death game.

Down 2-0 and going on the road to Phoenix...

Man, this is very familiar territory.

DD

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I think this explains it perfectly.
    The 8 part is crazy. The 3-1 is crazy.

15. Voltik

Voltik Member

My heart was not able to take it back then even when I was young. It was as if my heart would come out of my chest.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I was on the edge of my seat. But hey, it's sports. I was pretty nervous last year watching the Astros also.

Look at it this way. Most NBA fans would love to be in our place right now. I'm sure many fans in other cities have already mentally moved on to the upcoming football season.

Jontro likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This single game is reminiscent of road games '95 vs SA, '94 vs PHX, and '95 vs ORL

Rockets were severe underdogs, and they pulled it out.

It's reminiscent of the Astros @Dodgers last year.

So clutch... WOW... The abominable Warriors fell @Oracle.

Stay tuned for more....

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we were down 0-2

then

RocketWalta and KingCheetah like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That series against PHX was more nerve wrac errr ..... destroying. Going down 0-2 then up 3-2 then pushed to a game 7 .....

Then both teams split games in the opponents arena in the finals .... you find yourself down 3-2 and win a squeaker in game 6 just to get to that game 7.

Yeah , that was a crazy post season.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That first run, I would head out to my driveway basket every game day and take one free throw. If I missed it, the Rockets would lose. If I made it, the Rockets would win. I made some clutch shots that run. You can all thank me next time I'm in Houston.

The second year, I was in NYC for a work trip and of course the hotel didn't have the games. Watching the first two SA games with a bunch of New Yorkers who had lost to the Rockets the year before was epic. By the 2nd quarter of Game 1, they were all cheering for Dream and talking trash about the Admiral.