1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for ObamaTrons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fmullegun, Feb 14, 2009.

1. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Just curious why this guy is Secretary of the Treasury instead of Peter R. Orszag?Peter R. Orszag seems much more qualified and way smarter. Plus he is off the charts on the awesome scale.

[​IMG]
    Timothy F. Geithner
    B.A. in government and Asian studies from Dartmouth College
    M.A. in international economics and East Asian studies from Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies
    assistant secretary for international affairs
    Council on Foreign Relations

vs.

[​IMG]
    Peter R Orszag

B.A. in Economics from Princeton (summa c*m laude)
    M.Sc. and a Ph.D. in Economics from the London School of Economics
    Marshall Scholar 1991-1992
    Senior Economist and Senior Adviser on the Council of Economic Advisers (1995)
    Director of the Congressional Budget Office (2007)
    Paid all of his taxes (although I guess thats just a bonus)

Asian Studies vs. Ph.D.

WTF?

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Obamatrons...ROLL OUT!!

3. Major

Major Member

You'd think if you were interested in a real analysis, you'd actually include the work experience relevant to the job - you know, his previous work in the Treasury and his the work at the Fed. So the real question, is why did you have to distort facts so badly to try to make your argument?

4. fmullegun

If you know his resume so well please add it to the thread. Then supply your answer.

5. Major

Major Member

If you don't know his basic resume, why would you try to make a comparison based on a complete ignorance of the facts? :confused: You clearly have no interest in a real discussion, so why would anyone bother responding seriously to you?

Try doing a little research yourself.

6. fmullegun

I did do research. I think the clear choice should have been Peter R. Orszag not the guy who decided to let Lehman brothers fail.

So far you have supplied no argument, so I assume you either agree or have no idea why Geithner is there.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

So, Orszag was Director of the Congressional Budget Office and is now Director of the Office of Management and Budget.

Geithner was Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs and President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and is now the Treasury Secretary.

Seems like logical career progressions to me. And Obama decided to tap both of them to work in his administration. Now whether or not they will be effective in their posts is something that cannot be determined, unfortunately, a month into the new administration.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's free market efficiency. Weaker companies fail, so that stronger companies will have more business. The alternative is what Bush proposed shadow nationalization.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

:confused: :confused:

10. fmullegun

Please don't derail my thread which is dealing with the awesomness of Peter R Orszag.

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

As a hiring manager myself, in the order of important the factors that go into hiring a candidate for a job.

#1: Do I THINK you can do the job well
    #2: Experience
    #3: Education

You primarily listed Education as the credentials. A good education only gets you in the door. After you get in the door, it's all about what you did and what you say.

So, maybe Orszag failed test #1.

12. juicystream

You still haven't really said why he is so awesome. I was just wondering how BetterThanEver can justify his statement when he just posted about the Stimulus saving the automakers from bankruptcy. It seems like a contradiction to me.

13. fmullegun

The whole reason I looked him up is his ability to explain to r****ded congress how the economy and gov intervention works. Obama needs people to explain the consequences in a way he can understand and I think Peter R Orszag would just do a way freaking better job. Timothy F. Geithner speaks in generalities and feelings while Peter R Orszag gives facts a has a complete understanding of the implications and models.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

His first post spoke to the failing of weaker companies within an industry. His second quote spoke to the destruction of an ENTIRE industry in this country.

They are easily distinguishable.

15. fmullegun

Peter R. Orszag once calculated how fast he could calculate and the answer is 42, but the units are classified Top Secret.
    [​IMG]

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Because Obama thinks Orzag can do more good by his side.

[​IMG]

17. juicystream

It seems contradictory to me. Either believe in free markets or don't. Right after Lehman Brothers, we were talking about the collapse of the entire banking industry. We allow Chrysler and GM to go bankrupt, new companies will emerge, or maybe they make it through bankruptcies. Maybe Ford makes it through.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The market reacts to whatever the Fed or Treasury Sec says. While vague generalities leads to immediate drops in the stock market, that isn't important in the long run if he manages to improve a broken system.

19. adoo

adoo Member

ha ha, a Rust wannabe doing a poor Rust imitation, doing a poor job at it.

do you have the intelligence to research their respective work experience ?

20. fmullegun

The last sentance is english. The first sentance is?