1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question About the 15th Roster Spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Sep 29, 2010.

1. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

It's pretty well known that Ish Smith, Mike Harris and Alex Johnson are battling for the 15th and final roster spot on this year's squad. Feigen posted a blog about this today, and also alluded to Dampier possibly claiming that slot. My question, then, is whether we can stick Smith in the D-League and hold on to him in case of an injury?

Also, what would you guys prefer: a 3rd PG, or a 3rd C? Keep in mind Yao will not play back-to-backs for the first chunk of the season at minimum, and that Miller might not be good to go for 24 minutes a game. I am aware that Jordan Hill can also play minutes at the C, but for the sake of discussion, let's at least pretend he plays the 4 for most of the season.

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

What I would prefer is Mike freakin' Harris.

3. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

No, you only get 15 roster spots. Even if you have someone in D-League.

If you can get Dampier, you get him and then do some roster balancing/consolidation before the season. Especially with Yao's minutes cut and not playing back-to-backs. If you can't sign anyone worthwhile for 3rd C, then you keep Smith if he earns the spot.

Lee can be the emergency PG.

1 person likes this.
  4. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Sure - if he wants to sign on with RGV, that's his prerogative.

Problem is, if the Rockets have 15 guaranteed contracts, there's no room for a 10-day contract call up. Maybe something with an injury exception could make this possible, but I think that would have to be a season-ending deal and I'm not sure it would even work that way then.

EDIT: DreamShakeFTW FTW

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Dampier will sign, I think you take him. He's good enough to deserve minutes, and you want to pick up competent centers whenever you find them because they are rare. If not him, I'd probably prefer having our power forwards slide over to center than pick up some other stiff. Alexander Johnson has been getting plenty of praise, but power forward is stacked with guaranteed contracts: Scola, Hill, Patterson, Hayes. Even with a PF sliding over to center, we've got more than enough at that position.

Harris is a good player and probably the better player, but we likely have a positional need at PG, whereas we can plug a lot of people in Harris' spot. So, I'd take Smith for the 3rd PG. Seems like he has a bit of a unique skillset in our group, and we don't really have guys that can slide over to cover for an injury. They see Lee for short periods, but it sounds like they are talking more about defending than playmaking.

6. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Not exactly the question, but I believe you can only have 1 player on the 15 man roster playing down in the D League...unless the rule has changed. Any player on the RGV is obviously a potential signing in case injury/trade opens up a roster spot, but the Rox don't have contract rights to them.

It would be great if the Rox did own everyone down there, but that would keep good talent from playing in the NBA, atleast at this point. If every team in the NBA had their own D League team, then may be trades could be made at that level.

Never thought about this but I suppose any player you draft, but don't sign (like a Euro player) cannot play in the D League. Kind of ironic that you can hold rights to a player, but he can't play at that level for you.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont know for sure if there is a rule about the max number we *can* have at RGV, but I do know for sure we have had more than one down there at a given time.
    Details wont come to me at the moment :(, but Im almost positive that was the case sometime in the last two seasons.

8. AggieRocketsFan

Related info:

Link

1 person likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You are allowed only 15 players under contract. The Rockets have their own D-League team so they can sign Ish smith there like they have with Mike Harris and Garret Temple in the past and keep him playing under the Rockets system. However, anyone is free to sign him to their NBA team.

10. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Yao get's hurt or is on a back to back rest day, Brad Miller Starts, Now who's the backup Center? That would be the 15th player signed ERICK DAMPIER! We can't afford to sign any other position, has to be a Center and No to Hill or Hayes @ Center or else we're going to get out rebouned and less shots attempts for The Rockets Squad.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Interesting. Good find. Jonathan Givony from draftexpress.com tweeted a few days ago that smart teams like Houston and SA are using the training camp invites to better stock both their regular teams and their D-League affiliates. Guess this is what he's referring to: We can probably expect to see everyone from Ish Smith to Jordan Egleseder in RVG at some point this season.

12. landryfans

landryfans Member

I think the decision lays on whether Lee can actually play some PG minutes.

13. sks123

sks123 Member

If the Rockets can't sign Dampier, I hope they sign a 3rd PG, hopefully Smith can play himself on the team. The reason I say this is that last season we were competing for a Western conference playoff spot until Lowry got hurt. I think if we had signed Temple, we would have played better because there was no other competent backup C on the roster. Lee can slide into that spot but I think we need a v good passer and Ish Smith is just that.

14. sks123

sks123 Member

*****I think if we had signed Temple, we would have played better because there was no other competent backup PG on the roster.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Ishmael and Alexander seem primed for the last spot. But then again, technically hasn't Morey kept that spot vacant the last two seasons anyway until the end of the season?

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It is quite early for predictions, but here is my guess based on training camp thus far:

Pgs: Brooks, Lowry. Lee will be our third emergency PG. I hope they keep Alex Johnson. I think he can play the 5 as well as his natural position, the 4. A guy like that could be valuable for us, for obvious reasons.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But, if Dampier signs elsewhere, does that mean you want Jordan Egleseder as the 15th man? Because I don't know what other center you'd be getting. Hayes and Hill are going to beat Egleseder or any other still-unsigned FA center for minutes if we need another center. At least with PG, you can imagine a scenario in which Smith actually gets on the court.

18. AXG

AXG Member

Jeffries can also play center, that is, unless the Rockets trade him. ;)

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

During the year of the Stromile, didn't we have like half of our roster out with injuries which lead to the NBA allowing us to sign emergency players?

God I hope I will never have to go through that again as a fan.

20. Stepping Razor

I'd rather us get a a third center. Brad Miller is already out with injury, and everyone knows about Yao's ****uation. I'm all with signing Dampier, another big body to rebound and get clean-up points. Plus our back-court is solidified since Courtney Lee can run the point if called upon. Also, even if Hill can play C, I wouldn't want him playing out of his natural PF posisition if he doesn't have to.