1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Texans playoff hopes!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big Dogzz, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

Listen I know many of you guys may be thinking I'm crazy for bringing this up and I'm not just jumping up and saying oh hey there is a really great possibility for this but the Houston Texans for the first time in their existence are in the playoff picture this late in the season. I was wondering if anybody knew all the scenarios it would take for the Houston Texans to actually make it however. I don't understand how all the NFL playoff tiebreakers work and I was thinking to have a little something to kind of hope for during our upcoming weeks of football.

I do know that thus far we need:

1) Cleveland loss to Buffalo
    2) San Diego loss to Detroit

Questions I do have however are:

1) If the Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars are tied at 9-7 at the end of the year who would make the playoffs (assuming Houston wins out and Jacksonville loses out)?

2) If the Texans are caught in a 3 or 4 way tie with Buffalo, Cleveland, and Tennessee (@ 9-7) then who would win in that case scenario?

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Assuming we win out and Jax loses out

1) Head to Head will be even 1-1
    2) Teams will be equal at 2-4 in the division. [this requires the Texans win in Indy]
    3) The teams share 14 of the same opponents. They will have the same record.
    4) Their conference record will be equal.
    5) I have no clue what the strength of victory will be for either team but I have a feeling Jax will take it.

We can't win a tiebreaker vs. the Titans or the Browns which means the Titans need to go 1-2 and the Browns need to lose all of their remaining games. Tenn still needs to play @KC, NYJ,and @IND. Browns got BUF, @CIN, SF.

Just root for the team to play as best they can.

#2 Brando2101, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  3. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

-if the browns win one game, they clinch a higher seed than us, so they need to lose out
    -the jags HAVE to lose out for us to even have a chance of tying them
    -the titans need to lose at least 2 of 3 games

all of these are based on the premise that we win out, if we dont, we're done

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

All of the following MUST happen for us to make the playoffs.
    (xx) = week

1) Texans win (6-7)
    vs DEN (15)
    @ IND (16)
    vs JAX (17)

2a) BUF win (7-6)
    @ CLE (15)

2b) BUF loss (7-6)
    vs NYG (16)
    @ PHI (17)

3) CLE loss (8-5)
    vs BUF (15)
    @ CIN (16)
    vs SF (17)

4) TEN loss (7-6) (any two of the 3)
    @ KC (15)
    vs NYJ (16)
    @ IND (17)

I didn't include Denver, because in order for them to be included, they would have to win out as well, which clearly cannot happen in my perfect scenario :)

To make it more clear as to why we have to post a higher record than all 3 teams...

1) Cleveland wins on Head to Head, 1-0.
    2) Buffalo wins on Conference Record. (in this scenario, they go 7-5 in Conference, Texans go 6-6.
    3) Tennessee wins on Head to Head, 2-0.

#4 Miguel, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

A waste of time to have posters figure out scenarios to make the playoffs, since they won't this season. Ask next season. :rolleyes:

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The first Tennessee game was tough to lose.

Losing to Atlanta was terrible.

I felt like we completely played like crap in Cleveland.

Next year, we'll be a playoff team.

7. Nero

Nero Member

I saw this thread title, and just started laughing.

Before the season started, and looking at the roster and the utter reliance on unprovens and broken-downs, I predicted a 6-win season. Pretty much the Texans' only hope to surpass that is tonight against the Broncos. After tonight, they may as well shut important guys down and start getting as many young guys as much playing time as they possibly can. Unless anyone actually thinks this team is going to have a chance to beat Indy or Jax? Uhh, no.

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

So far, so good!

9. WildSweet&Cool

I have to say that, though it's very unlikely that the Texans will make the playoffs, it's quite refreshing to not be eliminated so late in the season, and to have that distant dream of making the playoffs. This has been the best year in Texans history. Even though we've struggled with injuries and poor decisions, we're still fighting and we still have an opportunity to end the season over .500. We're going in the right direction.

10. Major

Major Member

Last year, something like 6 different things needed to happen the last week of the season for the Titans to make the playoffs, many of them pretty crazy upsets. 5 happened - the only one that didn't is the Titans winning.

Certainly not likely, but the impossible happens a lot more than you'd think.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yep, i remember that.

12. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

You know to the last two posters I just wanted to say thank you because when I started this post I wasnt trying to say hey the Texans are a lock to make it but at the same time if its possible lets just hope and pray that certain things happen. This is what being a fan is suppose to be all about. I am soo happy with the team right now as to how they responded against Denver. I actually really hope it happens now just so people can believe again here in Houston. I wonder what these same fans were thinking when we were down 3-1 to Phoenix in the NBA playoffs. It's part of the fun of being a fan to root for your home team through the thick and through thin..

13. yobod

yobod Member

What the hell, man. Lighten up, jeez. We, as Texans fans, have never had the opportunity to talk about the playoffs this late in a season. If he wants to do it, let him do it. The fact that there is a scenario that even ALLOWS us to get into the playoffs as of right now is awesome in my opinion. This team is headed in the right direction, and I say if people want to get excited, let them. We haven't had a chance to talk NFL playoffs in Houston since a few years before the Oilers left.

14. yobod

yobod Member

So I guess this means we shouldn't be shutting down important guys yet, right?

15. WildSweet&Cool

The newspaper headlines here read "Choke City". But when we stepped up and won, the newspapers responded with headlines changed to "Clutch City". And that's how Houston came to be known as Clutch City.

Ya never know what's gonna happen. As Chris Berman likes to say, "That's why they play the game".

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hope for next year !

;)

DD

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we do end up 4th in our division, the good thing is that we will play the 4th place teams of other divisions...which will hopefully make for a relatively easier schedule next year. Regardless, this team is a playoff team when healthy. I think they showed that this year.

18. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

The strength of schedule has the Texans playing the same place finisher of the AFC West (away) and AFC East (home) in 2008. So, right now it looks like the Texans will play at Oakland and host Miami in 2008.

Due to the rotational schedule the NFL has implemented, it is easy to figure out which teams the Texans will play in 2008. Besides the divisional teams here are the opponents the Texans will play next season:

HOME
    Ravens
    Bengals
    Bears
    Lions
    Dolphins*

AWAY
    Browns
    Steelers
    Packers
    Vikings
    Raiders*

* = currently same place finishers

The Texans are playing the AFC North and NFC North next year, two very competitive divisions. If they make the playoffs, they will certainly have earned it.

19. Nero

Nero Member

Heheh All I am saying is that Indy is going to hand our heads to us, and Jax probably is too. Believe me, I would be delighted to see it happen differently, and stranger things have of course happened.

However, it ain't likely. But then again, who would have thought Denver would have rolled over so completely in such an important game for them?

As others have said, that is why they play the games.

But if Indy is up by like 3 touchdowns in the 2nd half, then yes, rest some guys and get some kids some experience.