1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about signing free agents.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KeepJuaquin, Apr 8, 2003.

1. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

We traded Kenny Thomas for James Posey. Not directly...but in the end, we got James Posey. So when the season expires, if we want to resign him, is he counted as a midlevel exception thing or can we just resign him without any restrictions? We are already over the salary limit. Then if we do sign him, can we still acquire another player as a midlevel exception? Or is Posey that guy?

I think we should first, get a new coach. Then resign Posey for less than $3,000,000. After that, try to get players like Jon Barry, Voshon Lenard, Bryon Russell, Erick Strickland, Rafer Alston, or Rasho Nesterovic to sign with us as a midlevel exception.

Also. The Rockets really need to practice. They need to practice. The whole team should go through a shooting camp in the summer. They also need to attend a dribbling class to learn how to dribble. The guards need to learn how to run a fast break. Yao needs to play like an old Sabonis. And maybe they all need to go to a drug therapy program.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Member

The Rockets own James Poseys bird rights so they can resign him for the max if they want. There is no need to use the mid level exception on Posey.

3. Miguel

Miguel Member

Getting a new coach is only going to **** us up even more. Learning a whole new system is the WORST thing that could happen at a time like this. Our team should stay the way it is, with maybe getting rid of Collier and either Moochie or Maddox. We can draft a rookie PG in the 2nd round and have him be the 3rd backup.

Posey needs to stay, he brings so much energy to our team, and without him, we probably wouldn't be this close to the playoffs.

Enough with the Fire Rudy/Trade (player) posts after every loss. It's getting annoying and it's been only 5-6 weeks since I've been here.

4. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I don't post trade posts only after losses. I post them all day. I post them during games...when we're losing..when we're losing..when we're not playing. I didn't say anything about trading anyone. I never said Fire Rudy. I said Fire Larry. Rudy...well...fine. I guess we should hire a competent assistant coach. They are just ideas.

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

Learning a whole new system? How about learning A system first?

6. Yetti

Yetti Member

One thing for sure! The tailenders like Hawkins and Moochie should be worked into any trades we make!

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

We can't trade Moochie, no team is that dumb and why would we trade Hawkins? He's a FA next year and won't hurt us even if we resign him since he's still probably a min player.

8. Sane

Sane Member

We have too much talent spread out over too many players. We need to make 2 for 1 trades and shorten the rotation.

I don't think we should sign Posey to more than 4.5M. Anything more is a waste.

Also, we need to give T-Mo a chance. If he improves anymore, we'll have no choice but to give him a chance. Even though he's been getting no minutes, he was performing great while he was playing.

Boki also needs his minutes.

This team needs to replace Moochie and Cat, replace Mo Taylor and/or Eddie Griffin, while getting some value back.

We need to get rid of these 4, and get 2 or 3 in return.

Derek Anderson, Jeff McInnis, Elton Brand, Gary Payton, Eric Snow, PJ Brown are all guys we could use.

As for a coaching change, I definitely think we need one. Rudy's style doesn't work with these players, and Larry is not great. Van Gundy or Dunleavy are decet coahces, and if Larry Brown is available that's great. Nate McMillan might even be available.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Give me Van Gundy. A coach who was able to get his Knicks teams to play defense and play their asses off for him.

The last thing I want is a pushover coach, who will let the inmates run the asylum.

Personnel-wise, we are stuck with Moochie and Mo, at least until their contract has only 1 year remaining, to where they would help another team with the cap.

I really don't think we could get "equal" value for Cat, relative to how much Rockets fans value him. I don't think there are too many NBA coaches who think that highly of Cat. It wouldn't surprise me if most opposing coaches feature a gameplan where they WANT Cat to shoot the ball over 20 times a game, knowing that half of those shots will be ill-advised. To his credit, Cat does work his ass off defensively.

I wouldn't mind to get Derek Anderson. I wonder what kind of trade the Rockets could offer for Anderson and McInnis (who probably won't command much since he's been disappointing for Por). Perhaps Cat + Mooch + junk for those two? I would jump at that, if Por would do that, for the sake of mixing the team up.

10. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Anderson and McInnis are like the only 2 good guys on the Blazers besides Sabonis...

Mobley is still better than Anderson. And Anderson is older. But I like him. Great player. Unselfish. McInnis is a veteran...and is probably better than Moochie. Must be... I would like both of them. That would be great. Then Posey could backup the 2 and Nachbar and Rice and Morris would get to play more...

Derek Anderson, Jeff McInnis, Elton Brand, Gary Payton, Eric Snow, PJ Brown

Yes. Definitely. I'm likin PJ Brown. ;) Jamal Mashburn as well.
    Elton Brand...even better. :D