1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Madden 2009 defences

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Oct 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

Question about Madden 2010 defences

Hey Guys I have a question. A buddy basically runs three plays on me in madden and it makes the game so boring. I am trying to find defenses that will prevent huge 70yard gains.

Basically he runs

Shot Gun Slants – The receiver in the middle of the field is always open. I mean always.

Screen – even when I am not blitzing he has a RB chilling right by the line, he passes to the RB and he goes for a ton of yardage.

Run play to the right - he has this one play that all my men get blocked on almost every time unless I take a LB and hold him in position and wait for him to get pass the blockers and then I tackle him but he still gains 7-8 yards.

I mean he uses the Chargers so I understand they have two very above average backs but the games are becoming boring now with him and his 3 plays.

#1 BigSherv, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Are you using audibles for both the entire defense and single players?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When in doubt, Punt Block works nicely against a running play.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

well...what kind of run play? what formation? single back? i form?

for the shotgun pass, is it 5 wide out? a TE and a RB with 3 wide outs?

the screen, what formation, again?

what team does he play with? what team do you play with?

The devil is in the details...which is probably why you are getting served ;)

5. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Shotgun Slants-Run the Dollar or Quarters defense in Man Press, if you know he wont run the ball out of that formation then drop all 3 of your Lineman into short zones or into QB Spys. You will force some turnovers like that.

Screen Play- Run a Quarter Defense, much more speed on the field to get to the corners. I like one particular Cover 2 Zone out of that defense that keeps 2 cornerbacks outside of the play and always forces the RB back inside. Also play as your Middle Linebacker or DT and watch the RB, if your see him setting up for a slip screen, follow the play and either tackle them for a loss or try for the User Pick.

Run Plays-46 Denfense is the best. I dont like using Goaline because their is too many slow people on the field, especially if your buddy is playign with the Chargers, Sproles will be outside of the play in a heartbeat. So run any 46 defense, try not to use a Blitz though because Blitzs in the 46 are made as Pass Blitz so they will over-pursue on the RB most of the time. Just run a Base 46 and play as your SS and follow the play and stuff the right side.

***The best defensive playbook to use is the "Multiple D" playbook, it has all of these formations and basically gives you a counter for any Cheese play on Offense.

Also, go get Madden10. Defense is so much more realistic on this years game, no more Cheesy Glitch Offensive Plays, slowed down game-speed, much more NFL style.

6. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

My bad I have madden 2010. I primarily use the eagles

I use the 46 a lot and still get burned.

How do you audible for only one player.

Also are Sprowles and LT really this good. I feel liek I am trying to tackle the greased man from Family guy

[​IMG]

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

if he is running shotguns and screens, then you need to ditch the 46. i could try a nickel or a 3-3 type formation (not sure if eagle have that).

you need more speed on the field. Regardless, it's tough to play against really good RB's. It seems like any moron can run a few set running plays and eventually break one.

I played one dude who used AD. Same couple plays each time. I sniffed them out and made the right calls...but of course AD ran over 2 or 3 guys and took it to the house for a TD...4 times for 60 or more yards. Comical.

8. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

on whichever player your controling presnap, you press a and a list of audibles will come up just like if your were using the "Hot Route" feature on Offense. Then you move your right/left thumbstick in the direction of the audible you want to use.

Once you get used to doing it, you will be able to get through the entire Defensive Line and audible all of them back into zones.

PS, if you use the Texans at all, put Barwin at LE and move Smith to DT. Mario, Barwin, and Smith have amazing hands and will get you some picks on that BS slant play.

9. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

the "46 Bear" formation has some outstanding plays for the screens as well as the run. The only thing he would have to change formations on is the Shotgun Spread, bc its basically the worst Defense against that lol

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I always thought that was the weakness of Madden, the teams are not equal.

In multiplayer the stats should all be equal...and it be about play calling etc.

DD

11. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

No sir, I play with the Texans, have online since 04, and I LOVE destroying superior teams with my Inferior Talent. Its a little bit more even now that we are respectable on the game, but it still feels good.

If you understand matchups/play-calling/etc. you can win with any team on Madden.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If he's running screens than you need to be in man coverage with your best linebacker covering the RB.

Also you should learn how to "Shadow" i.e. before the snap select the RB as your player the Defense needs to pay the most attention to.

If he's running slants on you, drop into a 9 man front in zone coverage out of the dime package. This will put defenders in place to take away the quick passes.

13. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

That and if you know that they are running the screen out of a certain formation then audible both of your DE's into the Flats, that way you have man coverage on the RB and you also have a big, typically sure tackler out there as well.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, basically with the new Maddens you have to know how to audible by positions.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Then make it completely optional...because otherwise it is about who knows the glitches and who can take advantage of them and who doesn't.....

DD

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Can't you tell, based on the formation, what he's going to run already? What if you GUESS the proper place where he will throw the screen, and you step up with a Corner Blitz but intercept the pass? Won't that let you stay man-to-man with the RB but let your best cornerback take it to the house for 6? :eek:

As soon as you know what he will run, use audibles. Do you know how to do COVERAGE, LINE, or LB audibles? :confused:

Coverage = triangle, then press directional pad away from the LOS for cushion, toward the LOS for press coverage
    etc.

http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/index.php/Madden_NFL_10_-_PC_PS3_XB360/Defense Audibles... they also explain their weaknesses and strengths if you use them.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

i do this too. it's awesome when people routinely get the pats, steelers, chargers, cowboys and eagle then they get blown out. They usually end up quitting.

btw, i'm getting tired of playing the same damn teams over and over.

18. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Yeah me too, its like as soon as they see im the Texans they A)Laugh and call me an idiot and B) pick the Cowboys.

This year I have been playing Online Franchise much more than the Ranked matches just because their is a variety in the teams you get to play.

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Middle slant: Use a cover 3 zone with linebacker audible to play spy, Control the linebacker and pretend to pick up the TE as in man to man then move quickly to the middle and intercept the ball once its thrown. If done correctly the opposing QB will think the middle is open and will throw the ball right between the MLB and Safaty but you are going to cut off the pass and intercept it.

Screen play: Either Blitz from where the tackles pull out and get to the QB quickly. Try from the side where the screen is going so you can get in the QB field of play to knockdown the pass or even intercept. Or you can sit it Flat Zones and try to anticipate the the screen and break it up.

Run play - Try an overload blitz to that side and shift your entire line and LBs to the side before snap.

20. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

This shadowing feature seems like it would help me greatly. How do you do this?

Can i do it without him knowing I am shadowing?