1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Houston Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by carmichael dave, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

610 is the best sports station. :cool:

2. Dutch

Dutch Member

Adam Clanton is flat out horrible. His impressions suck so loud that they make Zeirlein's SEC Guy (which sounds likeFoghorn Leghorn from Bugs Bunny) sound good. He's arrogant, a wanne be tuff guy, and he is horrible. Vandermeer as well - sucks as a play-by-play guy, and worse (yes...it's possible to suck worse) as a radio talk show host. Oh - I caught Clanton interviewing Sachse on the radio one day - her claiming to be such a down to Earth, working Mom. I saw her at a wedding - her Nanny took care of the child while Dominique did her diva act.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

what a good time to use that account...bump up an old thread to piss in a few cornflakes...

4. ThaBlackKnight

I have a problem with 790 with whatever show has John Lopez (can't remember the other guy's name) from 11 or 12 to 3 pm I think.

But they always call in a guy from hoopsworld...in my opinion the equivalent of an NBA tabloid as far as they just a big RUMOR website/company.

I guess some casual fans may fall for whatever Bill Engram says, but I personally haven't heard a single rumor they've stated come true. It just seems to be all hype, and to draw people in for ratings. Just guessing.

He knows a little bit about basketball as far as what a team may need, salary condition, etc. so he's not a complete idiot or anything, but he rarely states anything with any substance.

but it just seems like they are trying to start gossip more than anything else, and 790 just kinda hypes them up a lot for whatever reason.

Also, those guys will be insulted if you disagree with them...kinda act like 10 year old jerks at times...if they don't like something, they just hang up to end the argument, rather than present valid points. Try to be radio bullies...whatever makes them feel like a bigger/better man...maybe they were picked on when they were little, who knows??

No problem with the Charlie Pallulo show though...but it seems like his passion is baseball...and for me personally, I'm not a huge baseball fan...but I'm a huge bball fan.

I like 610, because they are regularly able to get Morey and even Bullard (does work for the team atleast) as 1st hand sources. They may not say everything, but its just more credible coming from a "hard source", instead of something thats as credible as Wikipedia. They usually get the better interviews with anything sports related.

I can bear the 610 drive time show (2-5pm??) but they are way too homerish at times and can go way off topic at times...about random stuff. :rolleyes:

Theres a few funny moments, but sometimes, they talk about that more than sports...if I want funny, I'll listen to an FM station in the morning (Walton & Johnson 93.7 lol).

I do like the evening show though (I think its Adam Wexler that hosts)...he addresses just about anything thats important that happens, and takes in as many callers and its hard to tell that he's biased in his opinions. He's very business like, similar to Pallullo on 790.

97.5...I like Carl Dukes show a lot. He seems to do his research, he'll listen to every caller and allow them to make ther points, and he'll give his opinion...he doesn't come off as that arrogant either...he will at times with a stupid comment, but then again, that may be deserved, lol. But overall good show.

I like Calvin Murphy's show a lot, because he does talk basketball A LOT more than any other station, because thats his passion/expertise...however, at times...he seems like he's stuck in the old school, where things were completely different than todays game/society.

He knows the game VERY WELL. But his judgement of player's attitudes and toughness, etc. gets in the way sometimes. He expects everybody to be hard-nosed, tough as nails, will play through a broken bone type of player...its not the 1970's anymore.

The NBA was close to folding back then...players didn't know if they would have a job the next day...today, the NBA is right behind soccer as the world's most popular sport. Naturally, things change.

But, he does know his basketball, and he'll usually give his callers a chance to weigh in on stuff...but it just depends on the day and the topic...plus he can be VERY BIASED at times, lol.

He and Yao are good friends (he hosted a roast for Yao or something) and if you criticize on Yao, he'll find ANY excuse for him and go out of his way to do so.

But with Tmac, (who he's always criticized for years in Houston), he said he went to the Rockets locker room before a game once, and Tmac didn't really acknowledge him...well, if you even try to credit Tmac with anything that he's worthy of, he won't let you speak, he'll call him a wuss, he'll say he not a good player and he you can easily tell there is a HUGE BIAS towards him. He'll go out of his way to make sure he criticizes Tmac.

I'm a fan of both players, and I'll critique both, but if you critique one to the death or make excuses for the other to the death...you lose some credibility...he only has some left, because he did play in the NBA 30 years ago...however, he calls himself the "Greatest of ALL TIMES!!" and sometimes, I think really does believe that...but he is entertaining at times. Miss him on the ROckets tv broadcast.

5. ThaBlackKnight

I get horrible signal in my car when I try to listen to 1560, so I can't really judge them...do like the show that is put up on here from 1560...they seem really passionate Rockets fans, who know enough about the game to get by...

and they don't act like they know everything about basketball either like John Lopez and his radio partner

6. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

610 is a first for me
    than 1560 except i dont like that nuno guy...total douche

jk hes cool

7. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

610 is the way to go. And Adam Wexler is probably the class of the station. Does anybody know what happened to Danny Vera? I liked him a lot too.

8. Super Von

Super Von Member

^^Danny Vera is on 1560.

610 is the leader.

1560 is second. Theyre good but their reception sucks. And you cant listen to it at night or during the weekend.

790 sucks. John Lopez, Ted Doluca and Charlie popiloowhatever are all fools.

9. Super Von

Super Von Member

Vandy is awesome.

Rock n Roll!

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Fixed, and the reception on 1560 was going to get better in June but it hasn't, Get.It.Done.Gow,Topper and Granato!!

And Ralph Copper on 1430 KCOH is another great voice on Houston radio!

12. Chiron

Chiron Member

The only issue i have is with 790. Listening to the the Fox shows from LA is so painful...its like Lakers all day everyday. I just change the station at the first Laker/Dodger/Beckam reference.... Can't we syndicate a houston show to go nation wide?

13. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

610 and 1560 are both good.........

790 is horrible and John Lopez and his partner are the WORST......seems like half the time they just repeat each other over and over in slightly different words. Charlie is very knowledgeable but almost always interrupts the callers before they even finish a sentence.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Lot of good discussion already, so I will add mine (and lower the class curve):

1560: Wish 1560 would ditch the '50s radio science project transmitter so that folks can listen to them. I understand Granata and Lance are there now. Perhaps if I get a can and string set-up to the house they broadcast from?

610: I like Marc V on 610 but wish he would share a bit more inside stuff on the Texans. You get good inside stuff when McClain is a guest (btw, does it sound like he talks in long run-on sentences? I worry he will keel over before ending a thought). I really like when Darryl Morey is on... he is always sraightforward and informative. For baseball... does Kevin Bass still come on as a guest? The guy was awesome for info.

790: I really like Charlie, even if he comes off a bit stuffy and "know-it-all-y". He has the most consistently solid sports takes acoss all three major sports.

And this just in... saying "this just in" gets real old real fast, and same of the hosts will say it three or four times in the same discussion.

15. Southern Select

I wish Lance would do more impressions on 1560. I CAN NOT GET ENOUGH OF THEM.

16. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

610 morning - Virtually unlistenable. Vandemeir knows football but is really irritating with his Ted Knight stic. He knows nothing about basketball. Adam Clanton just tries to stir up controversy, which is the worst kind of journalism there is.

610 afternoon - Lord is buffoon. Wexler and MattJ know there sports. There voices are a bit irritating but at least they do their research.

790 morning - Monsters are horrible. John Lopez is one of the laziest journalists on the face of the earth. He was adamant that the Astros trade for an Halliday even though there was no possible way that could happen. He makes no effort to understand the CBO. His opinions are moronic. Other guy is ok, but being saddled with Lopez brings him down.

790 afternoon - Charlie P. has outstanding knowledge, is well spoken, and does his research. I used to think he was arrogant, but seems to have worked on that a bit. Dives a little too much into baseball history for my liking, but overall the best sports jockey we have.

1560 - Lance and John. Lance is very knowledgable and pretty well researched, especially about football. Can be funny at times, but tries to hard and the humor is kind of frat boy immature stuff. John is pretty knowledgeable about Houston Sports. Overall this is the best morning show, but doesn't start until 7:00 a.m. They should permanently ban the Gilber stuff. Its not funny and is very immature to constantly mock a mentally disabled guy.

1560 - Sean and John in the afternoon are very knowledgable and do their research. Much too much college football and movie trivia for my liking.

97.5 - Mike and Mike are typical ESPN guys with a focus on all things East and West coast. Some of the baseball, football, and basketball experts they have on make for good listening. Don't listen much because Houston sports are rarely mentioned.

Calvin. Entertaining show. It is irritating that a hall of fame basketball player knows so little about the game. At one point, he was saying the Rockets were dangling Von Wafer (a free agent) for a trade. He does no research and shouts down his audience. I like his co-hosts a lot. They are both pretty knowledgable and play off of Calvin well.

In summary, please radio guys get Vandemeir (sic), Clanton, Lopez, and Gilbert off the air as soon as possible.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. 1560

2. pandora

3,162,473. Satan's All Sports Talk Symphony of Death, Torture and All Things that are Really Bad and Evil

3,162,474. 790's Monsters of the Midday

End

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Night Shift with Adam Wexler.

Even better lately with the Matt Jackson cameos.

19. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

CO-SIGN

20. Fatty FatBastard

I don't know why people hate Rich Lord so much. I find him entertaining enough, although I will say my largest pet peeve with him is that he constantly will interupt Matt to finish a random ass thought when Matt is trying to move on with a new point/topic.

Adam Clanton is a good show, period. And I don't even typically like kids on the air.