1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Houston Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by carmichael dave, Apr 10, 2009.

1. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

if you heard the start of them being co-hosts MattJ let Rich talk and rich would still talk right over him.

Over time Matt learned that he had to fight fire with fire to be able to say anything. He was much better with Wex I am telling you.

2. fmullegun

If anyone knows Adam Wexlers CF name spill the beans.

I heard him say GARM the other day, it is obvious he is a regular.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

EDIT: doh!!

4. fmullegun

Clanton

[​IMG]

Wexler

5. fmullegun

I am sorry, my response is to awesome to edit.

6. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Who remembers when the Rockets were on 740 in the early 90s, pre-championship?

Pre/Post game talk shows were by Charlie and Rich Lord solo I think. I think David Dulati was mixed in there as well. Can someone confirm this?

It was depressing listening to the local pundits when you watched/listened to every game. It was so obvious back then that the NBA basketball was their least favorite pro sport. You would of thought the Rockets were the most mediocre team ever assembled. Part of the catharsis of the Championship seasons was to have those guys change their tune and eat some crow...

Nowadays the radio folks have a place in their heart for hoops. Wexler gives good analysis. Clanton, MJ, Dre, the Voice, Nuno (sp), RJ (the Media), & Ramsanali (sp) talk good hoops. Lance & John have come around as well.

#26 Yodels, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Adam Clanton from 10-11 is a beast! Love his Rockets talk, he is one of the only ones on 610 that I can say is a "True" Rocket fan, very passionate about the team, most of the other guys on the 610 you cant say the same about. They might be fans but not die-hard like Adam.

He is always referencing Clutchfans and you can tell alot of his topics of discussion he gets from the website and throws them out to callers to get their takes on certain opinions.

Monsters at 790 talk alot of Astros, they are very knowledgable on baseball and have a good flow to their show. Very good option instead of listening to Rome, if I wanted to hear someone say the same thing over and over again and then destroy paper in his hand, I would put a Mic in front of my toddler.

John and Lance are always a good option, not going to get very serious opinions from them but they are a good comic relief for the morning time when your having a rough start to your day. They were alot better when they were on air through 610 because Robert(Hensley) made them have some structure to their show.

Dont listen to ESPN radio much but I do tune into Calvin on occation because he loves his Houston sports.

MattJ needs to be replaced by Clanton IMO, and sent back to the Night Crew, I liked him alot better than with Rich Lord.

Also not mentioned is the SUNDAY BLOCK PARTY in the evenings on Sunday, basically some lifelong callers from 610 put a show together and talk alot about the games that take place during the weekend, its fun to listen to them because they are really down to earth, mainly because they are used to being on your side of the telephone call. Also gives you a chance to hear about the ROX games instead of waiting til monday morning.

I believe Danny Vera is going to be with 1560 now, hopefully he gets his own show during the day there, I love hearing his takes and I believe he is also a very knowledgable ROX fan.

8. Yodels

Matt Jackson & Jeremy were THE COMBO. Just like we are valuing chemistry with the Rockets, those 2 were more then the sum of their ability.

For some reason, ala Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, they were not working together anymore.

Jeremy wanted to do the morning show & eventually got "labeled" as a sideshow clown and lost a little bit of the cred he gained by doing the night shift. I am not sure if John & Lance are to blame for his demise, but Jeremy should have stuck with the nightshift gig a little longer.

9. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Jeremy chose not to do the night shift anymore because of his obligations with his new wife/church functions.

This is the main reason why he moved to Arizona, to be closer to his Wife's family and to get a shot with being a mainstream host. Now he is doing the Pre/Post games for the Arizona Cardinals.

10. carmichael dave

interesting....

11. Yodels

I'm talking about moving from the night shift to the morning shift back in '02,'03 if I had to guess. You're talking about '07, '08 when Jeremy moved from Houston to Arizona.

This was right after Jeremy and MJ plotted to make fool of Ken Griffy Jr on Radio while he was playing for the Reds. While the drama was unfolding, it was very interesting radio... Suddenly the night shift stopped for a couple weeks soon after this show without a reason being given... I don't know if someone can shed some light on this...

12. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Oh okay got ya. I totally forgot about the Ken Griffey Jr. plot, that was great. 610 tries to stay a little too clean cut now that John and Lance left, they lost a little bit of their edge

13. fmullegun

i started to listen to sports radio right when Adam joined the night shift, i think it happened like that week. I never heard J-Fizz alone as the night shift or Matt with him.

14. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

For Rocket news, 610 without a doubt.

15. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

sportsradio610 is the No.1. :cool:

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Hahahahhaha. David Nuño likes 1560. My mind is blown.

I personally listen switch back and forth between 1560 and 610. I prefer 610's morning show, but I like 1560's afternoon lineup (starting at 11 AM). Don't usually listen at night unless I'm working, and then mostly just for Rockets' games on 610. I absolutely despise 790; they're pretty ignorant when it comes to basketball.

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I only listen for a short period in the afternoon everyday and in the morning, but I like 97.5. Mike and Mike is pretty good, and then Carl Dukes in the afternoon along with Calvin Murphy is entertaining.

I can't ever find Rockets coverage on 610 and 1560. Must be the timing.

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Mike Harris has a show? :eek:

19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Yeah, me too, except for that David Nuno guy.

20. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

I listen to 610 by far the most. 610's morning show is pretty good for Rockets talk but the hosts are boring; however, they do have Morey on for a good bit on Wednesday which is great for us Rockets fans. I also like Adam Clanton and kind of wish he would replace Andre or Vandermeer because he has a better personality. He is a good Rockets fan.

610 BY FAR does the best job covering Rockets basketball. They usually get Adam Wexler, Ackerman or the Friedman guy from rockets.com on the morning show so there is always some Rockets analysis. Since I am big Texans fan as well I get good Texans info on the morning show.

If the 610 morning show is lagging I will switch to John and Lance on 1560. They can at times be funny but a lot of times it is just meh. The Men's Room at 790 is an abortion. I liked Craig Roberts on Sports Sunday but hate this show especially his co-host Brad Davies. He is a know-nothing Yankee from upstate New York who has absolutely nothing to say and the only thing he does is like have people give their top 5 this or that. Unlistenable junk.

In fact, I have no idea how 790 makes any money. I liked Charlie Palillo when paired with Rich Lord back in the day on SportsBeat on 740 but by himself, his show is kind of a bore and his callers are even more boring.

610 clearly breaks away from the pack in the afternoons. I really like Matt Jackson and like his show with Rich Lord. A lot of people hate Lord but I have always liked him and they have good chemistry. I am a big Adam Wexler guy. Like Matt, he is a local guy and a big fan of our local teams. He has lots of good Rockets takes and talks mostly Rockets and Texans which is what I like to listen to. 610 made a huge mistake getting rid of Danny Vara as Wexler and him had a very good show. I loved the Night Shift when he was paired with Matt Jackson as well.

I have listened to Rome since he has been on in Houston and like his show.