1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about DSL........

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gascon, Mar 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gascon

Gascon Member

DSL internet just became available in my neighborhood recently (YES!!!), and I'm installing it tommorrow (supposedly).

I'm curious, though. Do I still need an initial phone line in order for DSL to function?

The reason I ask is, I'm hopefully going to get a cell phone service at some point in the next couple of months, and when and if that happens I won't actually need a phone line for anything other than internet. DSL is supposed to work like a separate phone line as far as I understand, so I'm curious as to whether I can cancel my initial phone line once I switch over to a cell phone.

Anyone know?

Thanks a bunch.

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

Gascon,

I'm positive you need an existing phone number for DSL to work.

I don't know if this is technically correct, or if it's just the phone company's way of assuring some income for themselves. Their answer to my question was that is they identify DSL accts by phone number. So they can't give you a phone number to have DSL on without charging you for a line.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

About 2 years ago, you had to have a phone number. They use the phone number to set up the account, DSLAM, etc. I don't think things have changed, but a quick call to the phone company may help.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is/was true with Verizon/GTE.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe all accounts are linked to a phone number. "Technically" you do not have to have one, but you do have to have an account number.

Just get the bare minimum ... shouldn't cost more than twenty bucks.

6. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thank you very much, gentlemen.

Next question.........

I have a laptop without an ethernet card or ethernet port in the back. I need both in order to use DSL. I understand the cards aren't that expensive, but I'd like to get one of the external cards that attach into the back of my computer. I'm assuming those come with an ethernet port. I'm also assuming those are much more expensive.

Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks.....

7. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Your question is kind of confusing but here is what I think you are wondering about.

For your laptop really the only sensible option is to buy a PCMCIA card for your PC Card slot. I would recomend the Linksys 10/100 Card for $40 bucks or so. That is all that you would need to hook up your laptop to the DSL modem.

For a desktop you could get an internal card for under $20 that does the same thing.

I am not sure what you mean about one that attaches to the back of your computer. Are you refering to a USB adapter? Like this one from Belkin

Hope this helps