1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queensryche

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did anyone listen to this band back in the 80s/90s when they had their best selling albums "Operation:Mindcrime" and "Empire"? The former was a great album imo...moreso than the latter.

But, my how they have fallen to just a has-been band. I saw them perform on TV at M3 and Rocklahoma. Man...they stacked their setlist with newer songs early in the setlist and I've never seen a crowd so dull. They finish playing the song...and you could hear a pin drop. No hands in the air and no clapping whatsoever. It wasn't until they played some of their old hits from the albums noted above they got any response.

Anyway, they are playing Rocklahoma this past weekend (shown on HDNET live) and their singer, Geoff Tate, actually told the crowd "man, you'll suck". I was LMFAO! Then, he said something like "I know it's Sunday and you'll have to work tomorrow (which they didn't cause it was Memorial Day) but this is the best it's gonna get and you have live it up...(yada yada yada)". I think he was trying to fire the crowd up versus offend them but many fans were offended I do believe...based on the Internet reaction that followed.

It doesn't help that Geoff Tate has this bald maniac beer gut look but he still has the vocal chops. But, my God, their later stuff is not well received apparently. I'll admit that I stopped really listening to them after "Empire".

For those festivals they played at, they might as well have been playing to a crowd of silent zombies when they went through any new stuff. However, once they got to their hits from the 80s towards the end, the M3 and Rocklahoma crowds seemed to be much more into it. But, you know the band members were hating it even though they said otherwise afterwards.

There was also this rumor that Geoff Tate overheard the other band members meeting and conspiring to fire him. They said he pulled a knife on the drummer and threatened him. lol.

I kind of feel sorry for Queensryche these days. Can't even play their newer stuff without putting the crowd to sleep. All anyone wants to hear is "Silent Lucidity", "Jet City Woman", and "Operation:Mindcrime" hits. Some of their newer stuff didn't seem that horrible but it has not been well received I guess judging from album sales and audience reaction. lol

But, even still, just to be able to tour and play your 80s/90s hits...life must be hard! And, still making new music noone wants to hear apparently.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm a big fan. seen them several times when they come to Houston. but all the albums after Promised Land have been horrible. the last time i saw them was on the American Soldier tour. they played 3 suites and of course the American Soldier segment was dull and uninspiring. Everybody was pumped up for Rage for order and Empire. Actually Rage for Order is a very underrated album. arguably better than mindcrime and empire.

they had already lost their luster a decade ago but they really jumped the shark with the Cabaret tour. my god, those women were fugly.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Silent lucidity is my favourite song, but that's the only one I like from them.

4. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Mindcrime, Rage for Order and Empire are solid, solid albums. I haven't kept up with their new stuff after Promised Land.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Caaaan youuuu feeeel it com-ing? RETIRE

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Who are these nutjobs that make music threads and yet post no music. Get your head out of your ass.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jhat-xUQ6dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. macalu

i actually can't stand silent lucidity. i remember when Queensryche was headlining Rock the Bayou and they closed with SL. seriously, WTF?

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

9. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

No idea who they are. But, my best friends big brothers are obsessed with them and think of them ad the greatest ever. I know one of them met the group and has their signatures tatted.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

It's not just a Queensryche thing. There are a lot of bands that go through this to whatever degree (any of them that are good enough to stick around even though the fans think they aren't producing near the level that made them famous). I once heard that Blind Faith broke up because all anyone wanted to hear at the shows was Traffic and Cream tunes... and I like me some Blind Faith.

Anyway, I saw Mindcrime at the Summit or whatever it was at the time, and it was good, but didn't really dig on Empire, and by "Lucidity" I was movin' on.

It's not them, it's me.

11. Surfguy

My understanding is the band went downhill when Chris DeGarmo left the band. I think he was the best guitarist they ever had and was instrumental in their early success.

From some other reading on the band, it appears they went away from their prog-metal roots and became more pop-ish.

I just can't understand how they can play any show without playing their signature song "Queen of the Reich". I mean...that is the song their band name is derived from. That should be a staple live. That's like Rush not playing "Tom Sawyer" or something. Unacceptable!

#11 Surfguy, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  12. Surfguy

I saw them pre-Mindcrime when I think they opened for Iron Maiden (World Slavery Tour for "Powerslave" album). "Queen of the Ryche" was the only song I even knew then and barely.

#12 Surfguy, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Never been a fan, but I did watch a lot of that Oklahomarock concert on HDnet last weekend and all the crowds seemed pretty bored with all the bands.

It's an interesting topic for perhaps another thread, but it's always interesting to me to see how the crowds react to hearing new material from their favorite bands that have been around for a long time.

I will admit, I'm going to Van Halen next month and I don't really care to hear any of their new material. I just want to hear the classics. Same with Rush in December.

I was at a Rush show back in 2005 (Snakes and Arrows tour?) when they started their set with some classics, then took and intermission and came back with their new material, then finished the night off with more classics. That was the perfect way to do it IMO. Don't kill the momentum by mixing it all up.

14. Surfguy

Yea...you gotta be smart about how you formulate the setlist and Queensryche definitely is not smart about it. Rush has always been good about balancing out their setlist. The new Rush album is due out June 12th. I can't wait for that personally. The really new Rush I like (e.g. Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows, and I'm sure this new one Clockwork Angels). The 90s stuff is the era I didn't dig too much...albeit I was at all those concerts.

I also think heat was a factor at Rocklahoma as some said it was hot and wore on the crowd. Plus, Sunday was the last day of the three day festival. I didn't see how the crowd reacted to the last band "Chickenfoot" but they seemed to respond favorably to that "Hellyeah" band (whom I never even heard of before) that played after Queensryche but I think on a different stage. Before Queensryche, some band with a dude running around with a chainsaw which was kind of funny and he had Eddie Trunk try to saw a chair in half unsuccessfully...which was then lit on fire and busted on the stage. Pretty silly show antics if you ask me...for the illiterate and idiotic I guess.

15. ima_drummer2k

LOL, that was Jackle (I assume). They had a hit back in the 90's called Lumberjack Song which was basically a 12-bar blues progression with a chainsaw solo in the middle. SMDH...

EDIT: Here it is...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A52p9jc-gOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Surfguy

Yea...that is it...lol. Hard to believe I never heard of the Lumberjack Song seeing as how I graduated from Stephen F Austin (SFA) University and we were all a bunch of lumberjacks over there. :grin:

17. ima_drummer2k

Sorry for the double post, but here's the video Surfguy is referring to.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d88du2GnAus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sheesh, what a DOUCHE.

18. macalu

well, it's better than trying to blow smoke up their asses by telling them they're awesome.

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yeah, I also think that QueensRyche might have been a factor.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't understand why they're playing these crappy 'festivals'. I saw them on M3 on HDNet and they didn't fit there at all. It was a bunch of B, C, D, and E-level 80s hair bands for the most part. If you're going to play a show like that you need to stick to your mainstream stuff. Also why would you even want to be associated with that type of scene? They need to be playing to smaller crowds in clubs if they want more enthusiasm. Also their set is puzzling, as has been mentioned. They were playing obscure early songs from before Mindcrime like NM-156 and Screaming in Digital. Seriously? What kind of reaction are you expecting to get from that at a festival like this?

Sort of off-topic but the best band on that M3 Festival bill was STRYPER by far! Those guys tore it up. :) Very professional, great musicianship and songs, and what appeared to be original members.