1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queen vs Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 18, 2011.

?

Which band do you like more?

1. Queen

44 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Pink Floyd

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

How ironic that a poster named "Voice of Reason" responds to someone who wouldn't know what "reason" is if it came up and knocked his block off.

VoR - Fatty is just being fatty, especially considering that he did that post after midnight on a Friday.

2. bloop

bloop Member

Honestly Randall Pink Floyd was a better band but I voted Queen solely for Freddie Mercury

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Porcupine Tree.

Innovators, yes.

Duplicated, yes.

4. raj87

raj87 Member

Most likely a substance abuser as well.

5. raj87

raj87 Member

I imagine that drug paraphenalia sales enjoyed a renaissance of their own, during that 741 week period. :p

6. Voice of Reason

Pink Floyd and drug usage? I think its a myth.

[​IMG]

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I voted for Queen. Though I love both bands, it was an easy choice.

I was obsessed with Pink Floyd in high school. Listened to them constantly and couldn't get enough of the laser light show at the Planetarium. It was a regular date spot.

And I got to see Floyd once in concert when I was in college. It was a religious experience.

But I guess I burned out on them and most of their stuff doesn't hold up for me anymore the way it used to do. I did buy (for the tenth time) The Final Cut though about two years ago and every once in a while I listen to that and enjoy it quite a lot.

But, while I also loved Queen in HS and college, I've never grown tired of listening to them. Well, except for Bohemian Rhapsody which was somewhat ruined for me by Wayne's World creating so much overplay.

I've never been obsessed with Queen the way I was with Floyd when I was much younger, but there are days when Queen is my favorite band ever. Still. So, while I admire the hell out of both bands, it was an easy vote for me.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The Final Cut, by the way, has always been my favorite Floyd record. I know it's considered to be a minor album but it's always really touched me.

That said, nothing by Floyd (or Roger Waters, whose Radio Kaos was huge for me long ago) has ever touched me the way "You're My Best Friend" does. And nothing by them has ever thrilled me like minor Queen hits like "Killer Queen" or "Bicycle Race."

Queen is like The Pretenders for me. I've never listened to them obsessively enough to know every word of every song, but there have been months in a row when they're all I've played.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

totally with you on this. i find this song impossibly enormous.

10. Manny Ramirez

Batman,

I'm with you on The Final Cut. It is not my favorite Floyd record but in my top 5 and their most underrated record ever. What do you think about them adding "When the Tigers Break Free?" into the album (this is the newly re-mastered version). I love the song but it really interrupts the flow of the original and like most Floyd albums, you have to listen to it from start to finish.

Ya I'm getting burned out on Floyd, probably was burned out on them over a year ago. I find myself listening to so much other stuff now that I have sorta pushed them (and Queen) to the side.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think "The Final Cut" was the final straw for David Gilmore, Nick Mason and Richard Wright as far as Roger Waters is concerned. I heard an interview with Gilmore in 84 or 85 where he said Waters was becoming too controlling over the type of music they were putting out. The Final Cut was more of an extension of The Wall as far as the type of sound and mood the music and lyrics projected. Having said that I really liked "The Final Cut". I remember him saying that Roger Waters was really less than nice to Mason and Wright.

I think Syd Barrett is the most overrated music icon of all time. I liked some of the stuff that Pink Floyd put out with Barrett but I really loved the sound the band took when David Gilmore came aboard. One of These Days might be my favorite all time music track.

Pink Floyed is my favorite all time band.

Freddy Murcury had the best voice.

13. Manny Ramirez

You do know that Rick Wright was out of the band by the time The Final Cut was being recorded? He got fired during The Wall sessions only to be brought back as a session player, lol. It wouldn't be until The Division Bell that he would fully play on a Floyd album as a full-time member.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Pink Floyd were limited by an image they had to maintain, but Queen could pretty much do anything and get away with it, prog, funk, disco, pop, ballads, show tunes, whatever, so it's Queen.

Beatles
    Stones
    Queen
    Zep
    Floyd
    Who

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think they always catered to substance abusers - the syd stuff is psychedelic bliss - piper at the gates of dawn is the best album ive ever heard...on acid!

im a bigger floyd fan so they get my vote, but ive started to really get into queen over the last couple years - if im in a more lively, rockin', fist-pumpin', sing-along mood i would go w/ queen.

if you were sitting around getting drunk with your friends would yall rather sing along to fat bottom girls or great gig in the sky?

as for floyd, ive tempered my stance over the years as far as gilmour being a wanker - ive come to appreciate what he did quite a bit as i get older.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Actually no I did not realize that but I'm pretty sure he was with the band in 87 or 88 when they came through Houston for the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

17. Manny Ramirez

Yes, he did play on that tour but not on the album. According to Gilmour, his confidence was "shot" thanks to Waters and it took him a long time to re-gain it. A lot of people thought he played on MLoR because his photo is inside the CD along with Gilmour and Mason but the reality is that he did not play on the album but he did on the tour.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have really enjoyed and continue to enjoy Pink Floyd, and saw some amazing concerts by them, including seeing them in the Houston Music Hall on September 9th, 1972. During that concert, they did much of Dark Side, which hadn't been released yet. That was my first surround sound concert, at least the first I remember. My personal peeve about Dark Side of the Moon? The singing of Clare Torry in The Great Gig in the Sky. While a great deal of her singing on that cut is tremendous, there's a section where she is simply over the top. I've always been surprised that the band released it without tweaking her vocals a bit. Getting her to tweak them, not FX in the studio.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HgzGwKwLmgM?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ymLiw8dnHO4?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>