1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigM, Sep 8, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who has had family oppressed by the British and who proudly sings anti British songs I have mixed feelings about this. I don’t think she personally was a bad person and as a figure head didn’t really play much of a role in British policies. She also presided over the decline of the British empire. She still symbolized an empire and her families personal fame and fortune were from that. She was a graceful anachronism who headed an institution that should’ve ended long before.

I know this is a very sad day for the British and all of those who are fascinated by royalty. For them they have my sympathy for me this is just another celebrity passing.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Some British people I know described it this way: She represented a lodestone to their identity as British and as a citizen of their country. The vast majority of them have never known another monarch and now their cultural lodestone is gone. They had more invested in HER than her TITLE after 70 years. They describe the feeling of sadness, not just for her passing, but for the loss of a little something inside them that is British.

Ubiquitin and daywalker02 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

She would have needed 1 and half years to break even to and surpass Louis the 14th as the longest ruler in world history.... Tidbit.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Reggie finally got her.....

[​IMG]

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*shrug*
    I guess it is time to pop her in a Glass Box
    and put her on tour in museums around the world.

Rocket River

Jontro likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Meh, keep it moving. She was a famous person purely because of who her parents were. She did a lot of bad stuff in her life, let's not ignore that.

Entropy and Jontro like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

"They'll have to make the pound notes bigger to fit his ****ing ears on them." -- Brit friend on Charles

jiggyfly, fattz, Entropy and 3 others like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

She went from something like 5th to 2nd in the last few months.

fattz and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can’t help but think of the sex pistols

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

At that age, an ingrown toe nail is lethal.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The collective Black Twitter is roasting the Queen as a colonizer and tweets celebrating her death are really irritating me. Indian Twitter too. Irish Twitter to a much lesser extent.

Queen Elizabeth was a pillar of the 20th century and her reign will never be replicated.

jiggyfly and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Can you blame people who were raped , pillaged by her empire and expect them to give the same condolences they never got?

jklb, Jontro and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Not a single person on Twitter was subjected to the empires brutality. Queen Elizabeth was the face of post WWII UK, not some tinpot warlord.

jiggyfly and Bandwagoner like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

She represented an Empire that was built on the exploitation of people from the jungles of Malaya to the streets of Belfast. Even now the Crown still holds onto works of art and historical items that British took from places like Greece and China.

15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

And yet people from the commonwealth and former colonies continue to migrate to the UK, as well as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand because that former empire had robust and resilient institutions (governing and economic policies) that are still functional and relevant today whereas other former empires lack that continued magnetism.

Queen Elizabeth was the Queen during decolonization. She was neither directing nor overseeing the violence the UK used to maintain the remaining post WWII colonies.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Australia and NZ have strong Republican movements and have had votes to do away with the monarchy. Those haven’t succeeded yet but there is a significant portion of their population along with the British population itself that recognizes the monarchy as an anachronism.

While yes the British empire had some good things about it, so did the Mongol Empire. If you ask most aboriginal Australians, North Americans and Māori they certainly weren’t happy about the British empire. Indians, Malaysians, Egyptians, and Irish are happy to not be part of it anymore even with their current problems. At least half of the Scottish don’t want it be apart of it along with a fair amount of Welsh.
    Yes acknowledged that and personally I view her as a gentle anachronism. That doesn’t change that her fame and wealth were built on centuries of empire.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

They were just talking on one of the news stations about how if you were anti-imperialist UK, you should love her because she oversaw the reverse of colonization in a pretty darn peaceful way over the last 70 years.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Right, and not a single person today directly* experienced slavery. Ignoring the generational effects of raping and pillaging a land to serve your own is naive. I’m sure you know better than those people though

LondonCalling and Rocket River like this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

She didn't allow people of color to work for her until the late 60s and she protected her pedophile son. So I think she is personally a very bad person and I only wish she would have died sooner. On top of all of that the EPL might be cancelled this weekend. Screw this POS bag!