1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigM, Sep 8, 2022.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i had not checked this thread or the one about your friend passing away (condolences to you), but i read about fatty in the marriage thread so i had to dig around to find out what transpired.

his comment seemed to be totally out of nowhere and even by fatty standards, pretty unconscionable. but doesnt this make you want to fight him even more? i know thats not the jedi way, but wouldnt a good old fashioned beat-down be the answer to an insult like that? if it was me, id be paying for a flight down to h-town and renting the ring to make this happen.

and what is fatty doing challenging anybody, let alone someone who practices martial arts to a fight. we have never met, but the three things i know you about you are that you live in minnesota, you play in an irish band and you study martial arts. fourth thing i know is that i would not challenge you to a martial arts match.

as for resentment against the queen, i was in ireland a few months ago and its very much still there. i stayed in an area of dublin that was an IRA stronghold (cabra/stoneybatter) and there is still a presence, but its underground now. lots of s***talking against england. i guarantee you they arent too sad about her in the emerald isle.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said I could not empathize?

Where did you get that from?

I respect everyone that has issues with the monarchy my only issue is people tying everything GB has done bad to this Queen Elizabeth.

She inherited a lot of the crap and was Queen when they got out of a lot of places.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

But nobody has done this.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I said before I would be happy to roll (spar) with any clutchfan and did like the idea of a friendly match with tip jar wagers and maybe as a fundraiser for charity. It wasn't going to be about beating anyone up and avenging an online grievance from the forum.

For me martial arts is a very important part of my life and one that is part of my character. My old sensei helped to instill that in me. One of the tenets of Judo is mutual benefit and welfare. As such we engage in fierce but respectful competiton. There wasn't going to be a respectful competiton after what he said about my Sensei and as such there is no mutual benefit or welfare to engaging him or granting him the privilage of fun but respectful match. If he is just trying to goad me into actually fighting him this isn't Cobra Kai where I have to defend my honor at the All Valley Tournament and if so I doubt the fight would be fun for either of us.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes they did.

Rockets J

Symbols matter and that all of the British military not just swears allegiance to the Monarchy but technically belong to the monarch it's very different than a US President. The US military doesn't swear allegiance to any President and US Naval Vessels aren't called "HPS" (His / Her President's Ship) while Brtish vessels are "HMS". I think you can understand if you, your family or your country had some bad experiences at the hands of Royal Marines, Royal Fussiliers, Royal Constabulary etc. might not feel so sad about the passing of the Queen.

Elizabeth Windsor personally didn't do much but it is impossible to separate her from the Queen. We wouldn't be having all this pomp and circumstance along with an official British Holiday if it was just an old English Granny named Elizabeth who passed away.

At the same time though that doesn't make her completely blameless. As in the article I cited she diminished the controversy about Bloody Sunday and other incidents as merely "vexatious claims" while shielding Prince Andrew from being investigated over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

Again if it was possibles to separate her from her title why would the UK have an official
    Holiday for the funeral of some granny?

Mad Max

You can’t be the Queen and then say, I’m not really the Queen. It doesn’t work that way. Not to the people who are hurt by it. I doubt seriously she called the shots. But she was a symbol for calling the shots…that’s how monarchy really works, since you asked the question. Imagine if we could askthose enslaved by Her Majesty Queen Isabella when she was 14. You’re a symbol. So don’t be mad when people lash out at the symbol for what has caused them a lot of pain. They’re not gonna mourn the death of that symbol..ever. Her entire life was being a symbol of something…when that something hurts people, don’t expect those hurt by that something to mourn for the death of the symbol.

Bloody Sunday was when in 1970 the British army killed 14 Irish Catholics in Northern Ireland. Calling it nothing more than “Vexatious claims” is kind of insulting don’t you think.

As for what she personally had controls she could control how Prince Andrew was treated. She also dealt with the divorce and death of Princess Diana pretty poorly along with Meghan Markle.

you’re asking for a rational discussion of history yet you’re saying we should divorce the role of the Queen of England from the recent history of England. I mean if this was the death of Elizabeth Windsor I doubt most people on the UK or around the world care.

#185 jiggyfly, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I stated it's impossible to separate Elizabeth the person from the Queen and given the nature of the Monarchy technically everything done by the British military and government both good and bad is in the name of the monarch.

So yes I get while most of UK is in mourning for her and many around the World are. There are many who are not because of what was done in the name of "royalty."

7. Buck Turgidson

"Everything GB has done bad" predates her by a looong time, was my point.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Well I personally blame her for King Edward Longshanks telling his Nobles to practice Prima Nocta on the Scottish in the 13 C.
    ;):p

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FFB's post was the pentium of gross negligence.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I meant while she was the Queen, but you got me on a technicality.

[​IMG]

12. Buck Turgidson

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I work with a bunch of people from the UK. How do I express my condolences for the loss of their sovereign?

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

usually “sorry breh, long live the king” would be sufficient

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

****! So, 'Death to the monarchy!' was not the way to go?

Jontro and rocketsjudoka like this.
  16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I’m sure others have had said something similar, but I was young and dumb enough to think this was the real queen when I saw the movie.

[​IMG]

I also thought Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall were the same person. I thought Eddie Murphy was playing a character called “Arsenio Hall.”

[​IMG]

#196 dc rock, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Xerobull likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I got some more bad news for you...

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This puts Coming to America into another level.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Crazy to think how everyone from the monarch is pretty much a direct blood lineage going back several hundred, even thousands of years …nice Prince Harry related to vicious King Henry VIII that had multiple heads of past wives cut off without hesitation …Put into context, anyone older than 25 has seen 10 percent or more of the history of the United States

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Oh, the irony...

Invisible Fan likes this.