1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quality of Produce

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Grape_Swisha281, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Grape_Swisha281

If you shopped or shop at Fiesta for the Holidays. PLEASE feel free to let me know how the produce is. Im in charge of Grocers Supply Produce warehouse and we supply all produce to Fiestas. I have been very committed to making sure the quality of the veggies and fruits get to the consumer as best as possible. Ive had my guys sit in hours of training on how to properly stack and place the boxes on the pallets. Last night my guys worked till 4am and we got the last truck loaded about 6am. I have dedicated myself to making the produce quality match the quality of our consumers (Fiesta, Rice, Foodtown, La Michochanna (sp), etc shoppers.) I can just hear what corporate or my bosses have to say but sometimes those are just to politically correct, so i would like some good honest feedback. Not expecting a lot of responses from this fourm but hey this forum reaches a lot of people. Ive also posted this to my facebook because i truly do want to make a difference not just in the company but to the customer too.

2 people like this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Doesn't grocers supply own fiesta rather than just supply to them?

1 person likes this.
  3. Grape_Swisha281

Yes we do, that is the beauty of it. We will always have work as long as theres Fiestas. :)
    Grocers Supply also now owns Quality Banana and Freedman meats

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I saw this guy eating a mini tomato at the produce section of Fiesta once. Didn't know what to do about it. I then walked over to the cereal aisle.

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Fiesta has some of the best produce in town IMO (at least a few years ago yall did). I haven't been too often since the one off Bunker Hill @ I-10 closed.

1 person likes this.
  6. Grape_Swisha281

I dont so much worry about In Store problems. My job is running the warehouse, you know that fun logistics stuff. Last year before i took over, they worked till 7am trucks were late to stores hellacious damaged product. I re did the entire Warehouse standard operating procedures and cut off 3 hours of production time. I just want the best produce product out there especially if its coming from me or my section.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The produce at Fiesta is some of the best for some of the cheaper stores around.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Where is most of the produce grown that is sold at Fiesta? Like which state or country?

9. Grape_Swisha281

a lot of it comes here from Texas

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always wondered how it works - do you guys sell different 'tiers' of produce to your customers? IMO, the best (and most expensive) fruits and vegies in town are at HEB Central Market, but if you go to some of the satelite stores, the quality drops off. I'm sure snooty restaurants are super picky, while some end users would take nasty, blemished and bruised items if they could get a discount.

How does that work? If you have quality tiers, how many levels are there?

Also, I know there must be a ton of wastage. I think it would be essentially impossible to avoid. How much occurs, and what do you do with it? I imagine, for instance, it could be used for animal feed?

I know it sounds odd, but it is a subject that I am very curious about. Any info along those lines would be appreciated.

11. Grape_Swisha281

Well actually no. All stores who order from us recieve the same "tier" or "quality" whatever you want to call it. Market Basket is the most snoty of the bunch, HEB does not shop use us they have their own Produce Warehouse, dont know much about them. Yes there tends to be a ton of waste, last year 1 million dollars in produced was wasted just from damaged goods, and know FDA makes us dispose of food in certain ways, a lot of health codes i have to abide by. But like ive said i re did the S.O.P. and it seems to be working

12. Grape_Swisha281

no***

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: DUDE. Those POMEGRANATES are OFF THE HIZZOOOOOoOOOoOookkkk!!!!

I love them. So does my 11-year-old daughter. We're chowing down on those seeds like there's no tomorrow. RED and DELICIOUS and SWEET.

We bought four more again today after eating them all throughout last week.

THANKS TO YOU!!!!! :cool:

REP+

14. Grape_Swisha281

There seems to be a good batch of strawberries and blueberries going through our warehouse also. I bought a case of strawberries and brought em home for strawberry shortcakes ooohhh yeeeaaaa

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Fiesta seems up to par but La Michoacana produce is hit or miss. Vegetables are ok but the fruits are usually bruised and don't look very appetizing.