1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Bonus to this is that Quentin Johnston could also run block so all of the receivers could help with the run game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats just not good team building. Wasting two high draft picks at the same position in consecutive drafts when you can actually improve the teams other gaping holes on the roster. Houston would have no leverage in moving Young if he doesnt look like a franchise QB and would have to take a huge loss in this scenario. I just cant see it happening. If they draft Young they are handcuffed to him for at least 3 years.

Has any team EVER gone QB with a top 3 pick in consecutive drafts?

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Check out the jump pass at the 15 second mark --- ABSURD!

raining threes, cmoak1982 and Fulgore like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If you like Kyler Murray, draft Bryce Young. If you want Phillip Rivers, take CJ Stroud. If you want neither, punt to next year.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If Young was as fast or sturdy as Kyler he would be a no brainer for me.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Honestly, Caleb Williams plays like a bigger version of Kyler Murray much more so than Bryce Young. If Caleb doesn’t have the mental deficiencies that Kyler has, he has the potential to be a top 5 qb in the nfl. Bryce Young’s play style is much closer to elements of Deshaun Watson and Drew Brees.

Rudyc281, Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Young is very fast, just runs less, but makes some of the same wild crazy escapes and has similar size issues.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Young isn’t a 4.3 guy, he’s a 4.7 ish guy. Good but no where close to enough to offset his size

9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I'd probably go with 4.6, but he's very smooth and under control and I think most of the time he isn't even running full speed.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He ran a 4.8 in high school.
    I can maybe see high 4.6 to mid 4.7.
    He is smooth, has good body control and feet which is more important than top speed anyway

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I personally see more innate escape ability and self creation from Williams, but to each their own. Young is really good at taking a few steps up, sliding and he's not a dud athletically he can get to the sticks when you need it. Im just seeing something different from Williams when I watch his tape and compare. His arm angles are wild. His ability to throw on the run is next to none. I do agree after riding with Stroud for a few years that Young is the better QB coming out this season, but in looking to nab THAT GUY I see it more from Williams. I'd be cool with Young, but again this team will be bad next year. REAL BAD. I just rather chuck the dice at the QB in that next draft while shoring up other positions this season. Just preference not advocating a sure fire "my way is the only way" mentality. You make great points.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Have you seen Kyler Murray’s college tape? He was a crazy athlete in the same way with amazing arm strength. He was just smaller and shorter than Caleb Williams which to be fair is a big difference. Deshaun was great at escaping, but he’s a good athlete not an elite one like Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, and Caleb Williams are. Don’t need to be an elite athlete to be good at qb, but it sure is exciting.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Murrays last year in college was as dynamic as you can get. He's still 5'10 and 190 though. While it hasnt hurt him in the NFL necessarily and he has shown to be mostly durable while dealing with several injury situations its still a concern. I'd view his current place in the NFL more favorably to what Young might be able to do. Can Kyler Murray be a SB winning QB? Maybe. Dont keep up with ARZ much so dont know the ins and outs to why that club isnt more successful, but if I had a choice Kyler wouldnt be my #1 pick for a franchise QB.

raining threes likes this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

At 1.1 I want a guy that projects the way that Drake Maye and Caleb Williams project. At that spot I think ceiling has to have more importance than floor. If he can stay healthy (an issue for every nfl player) I have no doubt that Young will be a starting QB. But I just dont see him as having potential to turn a franchise around. Thats what the Texans need and what guys like Caleb Williams and Drake Maye (and other like Will Anderson) provide hope for. If its me, I select Will Anderson at 1.1 and trade back with the Cleveland pick to get more swings and stockpile talent at Oline and on defense. Maybe select an Anthony Richardson (2nd round) or Cam Ward (3rd round) if they come out. I'd see what those guys have knowing that I am still looking at Williams and Maye in 2024 unless I'm blown away (in which case we could probably get a haul in a trade).

15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Kyler Murray isn’t held back by his size. He just isn’t a student of the game. His teammates call him out for his lack of preparation and the team even tried to put a clause in his contract that he had to study more. He’s rather play call of duty all day than spend time watching film. Those concerns were there before he was drafted too. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to play baseball or football and he was known for being a bit immature. Bryce Young has none of those concerns.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Take the best defensive player a #1, Take Michael Penix Jr. with the Browns' pick.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no.
    Penix isn’t a first rounder. You can get him in the 2-3 round

18. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The way I see it.....
    Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are the smokin hot chicks at the bar at 9PM, but their Marine boyfriends are in the corner playing pool.

CJ Stroud and Bryce young are unattended at 2AM when its closing time.

Want to get some action tonight, or do you want to come back next year and hopefully the hot chicks are now single and available.

That's all.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Lol

Qan, Genesis, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

By the draft comes around, he will be a 1st round pick. Watch his stock rise.

raining threes likes this.