1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think because rarely do colleges change systems. They may change coaches but they are widely known for the same things.

Look at UH, they've had several HC but they are always known for a wide open offensive system, QBs, WRs. Iowa is known for TEs and Linemean, LSU is known for the CBs not saying those schools do not produce other position players, but they just have certain positions that they are known for.

Conversely, outside of Fields, OSU is known for not having good QBs. Every now and then, there is a difference maker.

2. Buck Turgidson

I don't think you know what "system" actually means.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If and only "IF" the Texans pass on Bryce Young, as some suggest, what are better options?

I don't see it but I'm open to other ideas.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Caleb Williams is something else. He's like a Watson/Mahomes hybrid. With our luck of course he isnt available this draft and maybe never will wear a Texan jersey, but this dude is going to tear it up in the NFL.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There are quite a few long throws on the money. I am impressed. The USC receiving corp looks impressive as well.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

His feel for the pressure and ability to escape mixed with his arm talent and great use of his legs is pretty impressive. More film I watch the more I feel he's on another tier. Smaller guy too, but put together well and stocky.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  7. No Worries

Wikipedia says ... 6'1" and 216 lbs ... for. 20 year old, so he will likely add 10+ lbs by the time he reaches 25.

For comparison, Watson and Mahomes are both listed at 6'2".

From the vids posted here, Caleb Williams viz-a-viz Bryce Young is taller and thicker ... and also has a stronger arm.

Caleb Williams may be a good enough prospect to keep Lovie and his OC, Pep Hamilton, for one more year, as painful as that may be.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If the Texans have the worst record again next year, there won't be any fans left and no relevant free agents will come to Houston. At the end of the day this is a business, and no owner is going to willingly destroy their franchise for a possibility of getting a qb that may be good in the nfl.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Caleb isn't draft eligible for 2023, is he? I thought I read the earliest he would be in the draft is 2024.

I'm just not sold on Bryce. I'd obviously defer to people who get paid money to actually have opinions on this stuff...but I don't see him as a #1 overall pick. I'd hate to see us reach when we have holes EVERYWHERE. I'd be looking at best available player at nearly every position as my turn to pick came up.

But if they draft Bryce, I'm all in for Bryce. Slap Houston on it, and I'll root for it.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why would any of these QB's (this year, or next year) agree to be drafted here? Demanding or forcing a trade (or basically telling a team not to draft you) has never really back-fired, and if I was an agent, this is the exact type of situation I'd steer my client away from.

Manning avoided San Diego. Elway avoided Indy. Those situations weren't half as bleak as the Texans current ownership/front office/coaching staff/brand is.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah he has that "it" factor no doubt.

I'd even hire Lincoln Riley as coach in order to make Williams comfortable about coming to this dumpster fire.

12. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is even more likely if the Texans once again have the worst record in the league next year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. No Worries

His freshman year was at Oklahoma. His sophomore year is this year at USC.

14. No Worries

There is almost a 100% guarantee that pick 1.1 will be owned by a team that sucks ass.

BTW if the Texans are all in on the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, after the final game next year and before the draft that follows, the Texans will be sporting a completely new coaching staff. That might help the 1.1 pick with any of their reservations.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I have warmed up to the idea of Bryce Young, just wished he was bigger.....LOL (that's what she said). Talent is not questioned. I watched a lot more CJ Stroud this season. He is a box checker. Makes throws and plays, but doesn't WOW me. Bryce Young is a smaller version of Watson, to be honest. He makes plays, has better accuracy than Watson did in college, and wills his team to win. The only thing is his size, or there wouldn't be any question.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Correct.

I'd prefer them to rebuild the interior of the OL and find a down-and-dirty pass rusher first. Having said that, what is happening more and more - which is why Lovie and his entire staff needs to be jettisoned - NFL coaches are adapting to their QBs, and not the other way around.

A good HC will figure out what a player does well and then build around that. Doesn't mean there won't still be busts - but I think it mitigates that more than ever. Look at Hurts, Tau, Fields... they're all having success because they have HCs who build around what they do well. Even subtle stuff - like drafting Chase for Burrow - this stuff *matters*. (And, yes: I'd be all over a Stroud/MHJr package, or Williams/Addison package.)

MadMax and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Love William's. He's a straight beast but what assures you the Texans will be in position to draft him next yr? A lot can happen.

What if they draft Young this yr and if they are in position to draft Williams, draft him and then trade Young. Think of the return they can get if they traded Young if he impress next yr. Just a thought.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If Young does well and we still have the number 1 pick next year. Imagine what we could trade the number 1 pick for? Rebuild done in 2 years.

hlmbasketball and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What about a Young/Metchie package??

hlmbasketball likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Love it but what about Young/Metchie/Quentin Johnston/Nico/Pierce?

Rudyc281, whag00 and Omihall23 like this.