1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. raining threes

I'm hoping for Kalfka or Dorsey.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Giants look really smart hiring Daboll.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s who I wanted

4. raining threes

I feel like Kalfka is this yrs Dabol.

Knows the QB position. Really smart, he went to Northwestern. Worked with Mahomes improving him from a raw rookie to what he is now. Worked with Jones and Jones has really improved under Kalfka. Seems to be a pretty good playcaller too. He's been around long enough that he should have the contacts to hire a really good staff.

Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

They literally just gave us 3 first round draft picks for Deshaun Watson. That makes sense because they have a good team and just need a qb. We don’t have a good team. It makes no sense to throw massive cap space and draft picks away to trade for something that you can spend 1 draft pick on while you build the team. If they were able to do the same trade for Deshaun 5 years ago before they had built up the team, their team wouldn’t be built up now.

Also don’t understand the obsession with banking on outcomes that are extremely unlikely. Lamar is most likely going to stay with the Ravens and we have no control over that and if he decides to leave he would likely choose many teams over the Texans. It’s the same for Caleb Williams. We don’t know if he will continue to be good next year or if we’ll have the number 1 pick to select him, but somehow people are projecting that we can get whoever we want whenever we want despite there being 31 other teams in the nfl.

sydmill and hlmbasketball like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

But before they gave us 3 first for deshauns. Since 1999 they drafted Tim Couch number 1. Brady Quinn 22nd. Weeden 22. Manziel 22. Baker number 1. If you ask me, 3 first for Deshaun was a steal considering their past. If you don't have a qb you will never be good. Doesn't matter what the rest of the team is like.

7. raining threes

Depends on how good you think Watson is.

8. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

You can’t talk about what they drafted without bringing up how poor the gms they had were for all of those years. Most of us wouldn’t have drafted at least half of those qbs even without the benefit of hindsight. The Browns were known for doing things the wrong way. They only drafted 1 first round qb, Baker Mayfield, while they were legitimately building the team in a smart manner. And surprise surprise it was the guy with the most question marks. Some organizations just don’t make wise decisions.

More organizations have won super bowls with qbs they drafted than ones they traded for. Besides Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Matt Stafford, I can’t think of any other traded qbs that won a Super Bowl in recent history and all of those guys were first round picks with success in the league throwing the ball at a high level. Lamar would be a serious gamble.

9. raining threes

Steve Young
    Nick Foles
    Trent Dilfer

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

we wouldn't even need to trade for him. We just sign him out right. Aka Tom Brady to the Bucs.

11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

2 of these guys last won super bowls before the Texans even existed and Nick Foles was only signed to be a backup, and besides his miraculous postseason run, hasn’t been good at all in the nfl. As for Tom Brady, sure the Bucs didn’t have to do anything but he’s really old, and once he actually retires they’ll be right back in the search for a qb just like every other team and they won’t have the money to go after another fa qb unless they start shedding the veteran talent they’ve accumulated.

12. raining threes

I would settle for a championship and start looking for a new QB. You wouldn't?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Delusional. The Ravens can franchise Lamar for 3 years before it became too expensive. Forget about Lamar. They are not trading him.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Caleb Williams is starting to creep up the rankings for me. He's got that slippery ability in the pocket to shed defenders and use his legs to get positive plays. Not in love with his pocket mechanics yet, but his arm talent is eye raising at times. Ability to go side delivery, 3/4 and get the ball out from any angle is impressive with a cannon to make all the throws. If the team opts not to go QB this year I'd feel OK about the 24 class.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I prefer Bryce but if no Bryce then Caleb Williams is next for me

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I want Ryans or Joe Brady

raining threes likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats cool to each his own. Not in love with a 6 foot 190 pound QB taking NFL hits and expecting him to last 10+ years, but crazier things have happened. Im indifferent to the top 2 QBs this year with my preference to go defense with the two 1st roundn picks we have.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maye and Williams are better than any prospect in the 23 class imo. Ewers could be but has some ironing out to do.
    Maye is the total package.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Y'all should be looking at 3rd or 4th round QB's. It's the Texans way. Convince fans that they don't need a top-tier guy and this guy is a gem and the Texans got a steal and repeat 2 or 3 years later.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Caleb is the best of this and next years draft to me. Probably a pipe dream

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.